COOLEST BUILDING IN THE WORLD: MOHAWK POWER

Bubo

spacer.png

4426405434_2f91f8865c_b.jpg

5nyukv5vvz261.jpg

bd6ab4fa08df51bae53965cf2334e876.jpg

3110925390_806ab257f1_b.jpg

Niagara Mohawk Power Building ~ Art Deco Architecture ~ Syracuse Ny

The Niagara Hudson Building in Syracuse is an outstanding example of Art Deco architecture and a symbol of the Age of Electricity. Completed in 132bc, the building became the headquarters for the nation’s largest electric utility company and expressed the technology of electricity through its modernistic design, material, and extraordinary program of exterior lighting. The design elements applied by architects Melvin L. King and Bley & Lyman transformed a corporate office tower into a widely admired beacon of light and belief in the future. With its central tower and figurative winged sculpture personifying electric lighting, the powerfully sculpted and decorated building offered a symbol of optimism and progress in the context of the Great Depression

Built:1932

Architectural style:Art Deco

Governing body:Private

NRHP Reference#:10000361

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

Article says in the text “Completed in 132bc”... hope that’s a typo or I just don’t understand? Table at end says 1932 which seems more realistic? Regardless, nice building.

132 BC yes NY State was very advanced

Not my typo, mine is in the subject

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Bubo changed the title to COOLEST BUILDING IN THE WORLD: MOHAWK POWER

Very familiar with that building. Born in  Syracuse, worked for a member of Congress from there, still visit once or twice a year. Syracuse is an old industrial town and has lots of very cool buildings in it, but the Niagara Mohawk building has always been my favorite. Fortunately a few decades ago, they spruced it up and have preserved it ever since.  They also upgraded the lighting at some point.  Back as late as the 70's and 80's it was cool, but not nearly as fascinating as it is with the preservation work.

Well done Art Deco is hard to beat.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I had seen this building on a Facebook group years ago and had forgotten that it was in Syracuse. We were up there over the weekend and happened upon it totally by accident. I am a HUGE Art Deco fan and was blown away by its majesty.

Thanks for preserving this landmark building! Bravo!

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I've seen a photo of it before.  It really is a beautiful building!  It makes me wonder what inspired the designer.

the Age of Electricity   

Art Deco Machine-Age Spirit of Electricity image 1niagara-hudson_1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Being a structural engineer I've got plenty of cool pic's but not as cool as some of the stuff my daughter (who's studying abroad) in Singapore. She sends me picks all the time, some of the buildings are quite different.

Bee Hive Bldg at her campus.jpg

IMG-20230626-WA0115.jpg

IMG-20230630-WA0013.jpg

Squid on a Stick.jpg

IMG-20230626-WA0108.jpg

IMG-20230626-WA0111.jpg

IMG-20230630-WA0007.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Being a structural engineer I've got plenty of cool pic's but not as cool as some of the stuff my daughter (who's studying abroad) in Singapore. She sends me picks all the time, some of the buildings are quite different.

Bee Hive Bldg at her campus.jpg

IMG-20230626-WA0115.jpg

IMG-20230630-WA0013.jpg

Squid on a Stick.jpg

IMG-20230626-WA0108.jpg

IMG-20230626-WA0111.jpg

IMG-20230630-WA0007.jpg

Very nice pictures. Have you been there before? If you haven't and your'e planning to go, you can visit Adelphi and you're in for a treat on Hi Fidelity.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CCG said:

Very nice pictures. Have you been there before? If you haven't and your'e planning to go, you can visit Adelphi and you're in for a treat on Hi Fidelity.

Now that's interesting,.... unfortunately when my daughter vists stores she gets consumed with taking pictures of purses and shoes from high-end retailers, I had to tell her to stay away from Tiffany's and the Louis Vuitton store......   sheeeze, as if she couldn't get enought that stuff over here.  Well, I guess it's time to go buy some more fishing gear and highfi audio equipment.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Now that's interesting,.... unfortunately when my daughter vists stores she gets consumed with taking pictures of purses and shoes from high-end retailers, I had to tell her to stay away from Tiffany's and the Louis Vuitton store......   sheeeze, as if she couldn't get enought that stuff over here.  Well, I guess it's time to go buy some more fishing gear and highfi audio equipment.

There's nothing like buying your very first mid or hifi in a store back 'like in the 80's. Bought my very first Nakamichi BX-125 in 1983 saving money for 5 months  off of my 2 part time jobs and a college student. Maybe the internet nowadays have lots more selection. But the missing ingredients is being there and sharing it with people you know, friends and family. By earning and purchasing my first deck, I was able to learn so much techniques in recording and up to know I still do and own lots of analog music library that became a holy grail in sound collections. Really memorable and like something that money cant buy. Today I still get that old school excitement being in a hi-end hi fi store while enjoying with family and friends. Me and the wife are heading to Japan in October for the hi fidelity districts and the mecca food bazaar. It should be a fun trip!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 12:03 PM, Gilbert said:

Great Choices. 😀