Klipsch forte rear passive radiators

Pazarama

Hi can anyone help with a set of passive radiators for forte ii,iii,iv,

im restoring a set for somebody but has no serial number as the back panel is missing. 
klipsh won’t sell them to me as there is no serial number or the original receipt. 
Kd-15 is the part number, any suggestions or does anyone have some I could buy. 
thanks. 

FYI: the current passives klipsch sells for forte3/4 are cosmetically different than the original forte 2 passives, they have a foam or maybe rubber surround where the originals have a pleated fiber surround, if replacing both & you dont care about correct look the new style are ok, but if only doing 1 or want original look the F3/4 are different. 

look on ebay as they do pop up for sale occasionally or place a wanted ad here.  another option is to buy a recone kit from simply speakers that are the correct looking cones & are relatively easy to replace. 

17 hours ago, Pazarama said:

Hi can anyone help with a set of passive radiators for forte ii,iii,iv,

im restoring a set for somebody but has no serial number as the back panel is missing. 
klipsh won’t sell them to me as there is no serial number or the original receipt. 
Kd-15 is the part number, any suggestions or does anyone have some I could buy. 
thanks. 

remove the passive and look inside the cabinet , I am not sure if this was standard procedure , but  klipsch used to place a loose piece of paper  with the speaker's serial number /stock number in some Forte Speakers  . Good luck ,

if that does not work  reach out  for advice ,for an aftermarket recone kit   with  ( no affiliation )   https://reconingspeakers.com/

On 1/19/2022 at 5:13 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

FYI: the current passives klipsch sells for forte3/4 are cosmetically different than the original forte 2 passives, they have a foam or maybe rubber surround where the originals have a pleated fiber surround, if replacing both & you dont care about correct look the new style are ok, but if only doing 1 or want original look the F3/4 are different. 

look on ebay as they do pop up for sale occasionally or place a wanted ad here.  another option is to buy a recone kit from simply speakers that are the correct looking cones & are relatively easy to replace. 

I think I’ll just have to wait till one pops up on eBay.
Thanks for your help. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 5:41 AM, 001 said:

remove the passive and look inside the cabinet , I am not sure if this was standard procedure , but  klipsch used to place a loose piece of paper  with the speaker's serial number /stock number in some Forte Speakers  . Good luck ,

if that does not work  reach out  for advice ,for an aftermarket recone kit   with  ( no affiliation )   https://reconingspeakers.com/

Thanks I will definitely email them for some advice. 
thanks for your help. 

11 hours ago, Alexander said:

On the chance you still have the baskets you could have them re coned here: https://reconingspeakers.com/  I had them do my pair of f2's and they looked exactly like the originals.

I don’t have anything. Just a big whole. Lol. 
I found a non klipsch set on aliexpress. 
I wonder if they would be any good?

8E860A74-48EE-4F96-BE95-5DA5CD6AFEF8.jpeg

14 hours ago, Pazarama said:

8E860A74-48EE-4F96-BE95-5DA5CD6AFEF8.jpeg

They need to be correct klipsch passives to work right or to confirm the weight/mass of the cone is the same as klipsch.  

these are relatively rare & hard to come by so i would take advantage of buying a single when its available then locating another single or if by chance you find a pair you can always sell the single for what you paid if it was a reasonable price.  i would check with dtr20 to see what he will sell it for. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 12:25 AM, Pazarama said:

Looks like you are in Australia , and the expenses of shipping a used or new  Passive from the USA is already quite costly - 

a passive woofer is a woofer without the magnet , the VC and the electrical connection to the crossover , that's it in a nutshell -

option 2 - buy  other passive woofers given you have no other choice left  ,  you can subtract or add weights to the passive woofer ,  to tune the sound .  .

On 1/18/2022 at 10:41 AM, 001 said:

Yep, stapled just under the Foam or on the bottom.  I have Chorus II and Forte II taken apart right now. 

On 1/21/2022 at 11:49 AM, dtr20 said:

I have a single forte II passive radiator which was reconed by Midwest Speakers in Minnesota if you are interested.

Hi how much are you asking for it???

I am also located in sydney Australia. I would of course have to include postage costs. 
thanks 

On 1/21/2022 at 11:49 AM, dtr20 said:

I have a single forte II passive radiator which was reconed by Midwest Speakers in Minnesota if you are interested.

Hi how much are you asking for it???

I am also located in sydney Australia. I would of course have to include

11 hours ago, Pazarama said:

Hi how much are you asking for it???

I am also located in sydney Australia. I would of course have to include postage costs. 
thanks 

I would need $105 USD plus shipping cost. I am not making money on this, this is how much I have into the passive radiator. I thought it would be a good idea for me to have a spare.

• Thanks 1

do NOT just use any woofer & remove the magnet!  the passives are tuned to the cabinet/speaker specs & unless you remove the cone/weight & weigh it you have no idea how much weight to add or remove from a random gutted woofer or an aftermarket passive. & so far the guys at klipsch have not or will not disclose what the specific weights for their passives are... there was a thread a few months ago where we were told to use a forte3 passive in a chorus 2 speaker, only to find later on the weights were different,  i asked what the weight specs were so maybe we could add/subtract from the F3 passive but didnt get any reply....  

& shipping a light weight passive internationally is not that expensive,  you can enter weight/dimensions at USPS website & get an exact quote.  it will obviously be more than domestic but most international residents are aware of that & its just part of doing business with american parts.  i just checked USPS to australia with general weight/size & for ~4lbs it shows $88. not too bad IMO to australia with todays shipping rates.  

Here is an example from Forte II:

On 1/18/2022 at 11:41 AM, 001 said:

Here is an example:

Forte II Note 2.jpg

Forte II Note.jpg

• Like 1