What is the return etiquette for speakers?

Dr_jitsu

Greetings,

I sold my speakers (RF 82's in good shape for $460) and told the very nice guy who bought them that he could demo them at home. I have another guy who wants them but only offered $400.

Lugging them out to the car and wrapping them was a bit of work, so I told the guy who bought them that he could return them and I would refund $420. I also spent a good deal of time going over the purchaser's system and recommending a good set up for him. I am also going to give him some extremely nice cabling (worth $100).

Am I off base for wanting a $40 "restocking fee"? 

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Dr_jitsu said:

Greetings,

I sold my speakers (RF 82's in good shape for $460) and told the very nice guy who bought them that he could demo them at home. I have another guy who wants them but only offered $400.

Lugging them out to the car and wrapping them was a bit of work, so I told the guy who bought them that he could return them and I would refund $420. I also spent a good deal of time going over the purchaser's system and recommending a good set up for him. I am also going to give him some extremely nice cabling (worth $100).

Am I off base for wanting a $40 "restocking fee"? 

Thanks!

i think you're free to put conditions on a sale as long as everyone is clear on them up front.  i think you were quite generous to let someone take your speakers home for a demo and return them if they didn't like them!  (i'm not quite that generous -- i would have demoed them at my house, but that's it)

good luck with the sale.

• Like 3

Thanks guys....he just messaged me and loves the speakers. He has a large space/limited budget so he won't do better than these,  bang for buck. 

To demo at my place I would have had to disconnect my RF 7's and RC 64, a huge hassle so I said just demo them at home. 

I sweetened the deal with some really nice cabling so really he would be a fool not to take the deal. I don't really see how he could do better in this market, everything is getting more expensive. Well taken care of speakers don't really age, and tech development have been minimal. Atmos is overrated. 

I told him to find an rc 62 and maybe some RF 62's for rears and he will be set. 

• Like 3