La Scala Build

EvCo

5 hours ago, TubesGlo said:

Congrats on your build, nice work. You'll enjoy the fruits of your labor and the satisfaction of listening with a smile thinking...wow... I made these.

Enjoy! Maybe a DIY tube amp kit in your future.....

Thank you. It's been a lot of fun listening to them for the last couple of evenings. I ordered a Dayton Audio hybrid tube amp (hta100bt), but perhaps will pursue making one in the future.

4 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Nice work. What is your plan for a finish? 

Currently they have been stained with Danish Oil. I'll probably do a couple more coats to make it a touch darker and then polyurethane them. 

2 hours ago, Dave MacKay said:

Where did you find plans? Did you have to make any alterations?

I used these plans and had minimal issues. I found them in another thread on this forum. There were a couple pieces I had to trim with a router once the cabinet was assembled, which is probably due to a mixture of cutting inaccurately and 3/4" plywood being slightly thinner than its nominal size. I made all of the dimension cuts with a circular saw with a clamp-on saw guide (60 tooth blade).

1977LaScalaDim1.jpg 

1977LaScalaDim2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I got this parts list and prices from critesspeakers.com to build a pair of La Scala's, now the question is how much is the wood/other parts and the labor to build the boxes (approx)?

https://critesspeakers.com/prices-other_stuff.html

La Scala Parts:

Model CW1526 Pair:                                       $320.00    (Woofers)

Model CT120 Pair including hook-up wires  $280.00  (Tweeters)

Pair of A-55G/2 Drivers                                    $535.00     (Mid drivers)

(Series 1, Sonicap)                                            $715.00     (crossovers) UPGRADED

C401 Plastic 400Hz Horns. Pair                      $340         Mid Horns

Total                             $ 2190.00

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Alfredo Prada said:

I got this parts list and prices from critesspeakers.com to build a pair of La Scala's, now the question is how much is the wood/other parts and the labor to build the boxes (approx)?

La Scala Parts:

Pair of A-55G/2 Drivers                                    $535.00     (Mid drivers)

(Series 1, Sonicap)                                            $715.00     (crossovers) UPGRADED

Plywood: You'll need three sheets, around $70/each. There are tools online that you can input all the dimensions into and it'll lay out the most efficient cuts and it's considerate of grain direction.

Hardware: Around $30. Including screws, brad nails, and glue.

Time: I had about 30 hours in building my set. 

• Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 12:15 PM, EvCo said:

Thank you. It's been a lot of fun listening to them for the last couple of evenings. I ordered a Dayton Audio hybrid tube amp (hta100bt), but perhaps will pursue making one in the future.

Now all you need is to build a Bill Fitzmaurice Tuba HT Low Profile Horn Subwoofer that will get you the 2 missing octaves and get a Dayton Plate Amplifier to drive it. Standing up, that Sub Horn is about the same as a Cornwall, footprint-wise, and you can put it anywhere in the room.

5 hours ago, EvCo said:

Plywood: You'll need three sheets, around $70/each. There are tools online that you can input all the dimensions into and it'll lay out the most efficient cuts and it's considerate of grain direction.

Hardware: Around $30. Including screws, brad nails, and glue.

Time: I had about 30 hours in building my set. 

Thanks!

23 hours ago, Alfredo Prada said:

La Scala Parts:

I would recommend to buy a used pair of klipsch LS II  around 4k$   , The LS II  is a serious Speaker  ,   or older Khorns , or even used CW IV

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 001 said:

I would recommend to buy a used pair of klipsch LS II  around 4k$   , The LS II  is a serious Speaker  ,   or older Khorns , or even used CW IV

I see it differently.

EvCo built a pair of speakers (a proven model that I am sure will sound great). He spent about half of what you are suggesting. From that he will have years of enjoyment and the pride that comes from accomplishing the project himself. EvCo is to be congratulated and I hope his build will inspire others. 

-Tom

• Like 12

Congratulations on your fine work.

If you get bitten by the improvement bug

You can make a second set of Bass Bins, and separate mid cabinets

and start experimenting with 2 Horn systems, so many options out there.

If mid cabinet motor board can be changed out easily

you can easily try different horn-driver set ups and cross overs

400-20Khz is a stretch for the top horn, not sure who can hear above 17Khz

• Like 1