La Scala Build

EvCo

On 1/22/2022 at 4:56 PM, Alfredo Prada said:

I got this parts list and prices from critesspeakers.com to build a pair of La Scala's, now the question is how much is the wood/other parts and the labor to build the boxes (approx)?

@Alfredo Prada     the  cost of materials and labor / at least 1k$    20 -25 h  for sure at $? per hour , plus extra $ to veneer the cabinets versus MDF or plywood , plus the Parts  so closer to 4k$  -

Location , USA  ?  here is a pair of klipsch  CW IV , 3 months old , 6600$ new   - selling price 4400$  , modern drivers , horns , the latest technology in klipsch crossovers  .

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/d/union-klipsch-cornwall-4s-new/7437525535.html

1 hour ago, 001 said:

@Alfredo Prada     the  cost of materials and labor / at least 1k$    20 -25 h  for sure at $? per hour , plus extra $ to veneer the cabinets versus MDF or plywood , plus the Parts  so closer to 4k$  -

Location , USA  ?  here is a pair of klipsch  CW IV , 3 months old , cost 8414$   - selling price 4400$  modern drivers , horns , the latest technology in klipsch crossovers  .

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/d/union-klipsch-cornwall-4s-new/7437525535.html

I am not sure where your numbers are coming from, but I have no interest in debating them. 

However maybe I can give some perspective.

In my youth, "car guys" when asked about their car (their pride and joy) would respond with the simple phrase "built not bought".  It was said with pride. That sort of pride and passion still carries weight with a segment of the population.

I know I am a dinosaur, but until one can embrace notion of "built not bought", you will not understand why some head down that path. 

Just my 2 cents,

-Tom

PS: I hope that Alfredo and others like him will pursue that passion.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

I am not sure where your numbers are coming from, but I have no interest in debating them. 

However maybe I can give some perspective.

In my youth, "car guys" when asked about their car (their pride and joy) would respond with the simple phrase "built not bought".  It was said with pride. That sort of pride and passion still carries weight with a segment of the population.

I know I am a dinosaur, but until one can embrace notion of "built not bought", you will not understand why some head down that path. 

Just my 2 cents,

-Tom

PS: I hope that Alfredo and others like him will pursue that passion.

Very well put Tom!

And your diplomacy is admirable.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 12:55 PM, JohnW said:

Would you mind posting pics of them with the Danish Oil finish? Trying to figure out what finish to put on my mine (just got them yesterday). 

Amazing work, btw. Gorgeous. Bet they sound amazing, too. 

The pictures I have posted so far represent what they look like with two coats of danish oil light walnut color. I'll update you if i go for a darker shade. My wife likes them as is so it might be a good stopping point.

On 1/25/2022 at 7:55 PM, Islander said:

Maybe it’s the lighting, but I don’t see the support brackets for the K401 horns.  Or are they so much lighter than the cast aluminum K400 horns that they don’t need any added support?

At that time they were not installed. The k401's are really heavy, so they're definitely necessary. I 3d printed a set for now until I can make a couple out of wood. Once I got the speakers playing music I lost a little motivation to knockout the details.

PXL_20220202_025859352~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...