VOM Meter Recommendation

FLUKE, the last word in VOMs.

I own a Fluke 179, which I use for my job. It also measures capacitance. Buy some spare fuses because you will sometimes connect your meter improperly.

Quite frankly, I'm really surprised at the current price as I don't think I paid more than $200 for mine.

Perhaps check eBay, where I see some very good prices, or check craigslist.

I've had a Fluke 77 (original) since '91. Other than not doing capacitance or inductance it has served me well. It is strictly a VOM.

Never an issue with it. I used to do repairs on industrial knitting machines, which meant work on 3 phase motor controllers. The a stint at a government contractor, before 19 yrs in IT, repairing various equipment. Alway worked perfectly for that and all my hooby stuff.

That being said, a $30-50 DVM would probably work just as well.

5 hours ago, Dave MacKay said:

I use a Bryman 235  I was able to order the EEVblog version through Amazon. It's specs are similat to comparable Flukes, but is substantially less expensive.

I was looking at this.  About $140.  How does it compare to the BM786?

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

I've had a Fluke 77 (original) since '91. Other than not doing capacitance or inductance it has served me well. It is strictly a VOM.

Never an issue with it. I used to do repairs on industrial knitting machines, which meant work on 3 phase motor controllers. The a stint at a government contractor, before 19 yrs in IT, repairing various equipment. Alway worked perfectly for that and all my hooby stuff.

That being said, a $30-50 DVM would probably work just as well.

I have a cheap one. $40 when I bought it in the 1990s:  https://www.amazon.com/Velleman-DVM850BL-Hold-Function-Backlight/dp/B00068U24A

I wanted something better, faster.  Klein has a few meters between $50 and $100 that will work. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 11:16 AM, Dave MacKay said:

I use a Bryman 235  I was able to order the EEVblog version through Amazon. It's specs are similat to comparable Flukes, but is substantially less expensive.

The Breyman 235 seems to have the capacitance range needed for our hobby.  I think the Flukes do not go that high, but I do have a cheap capacitance meter already.

8 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Settled on a Greenlee DM-820A.  Found this through the EEV Blog meter, which sells a Breymen, which sells as Greenlee in the USA.  Now I just need to figure out how to use this thing. 

Posting the picture to show off my sweet vintage Whirlpool dryer for @jason str

image.jpeg.cb303bee9fd40929d0903b7e710bd7f1.jpeg

Very nice