Onkyo shuts off with Forte II speakers

Defacto

1 hour ago, Defacto said:

Umm, that is 80/100 on the Onkyo amp. 

Seems to me that shouldn't shut the amp down under normal circumstances.

Trim level I do not recall seeing or setting?

I have no idea to to change from relative to absolute  volume either, sorry 

if you have a solder station & have done some soldering before... its very easy to replace capacitors on these boards. for those crites prices for full kit or to even send in yours i would just try & do it yourself & save a ton of money.  the caps you use are up to you & your budget, the daytons at parts express are only a few bucks each & theres other brands about the same price or even cheaper,  bob used to recommend ERSE caps for budget builds & they are just as good as daytons for a lot cheaper. i've used them in quite a few speakers, klipsch & other brands with great results. or use the jem brand some on here prefer. 

as for the onkyo shutting down, if its an older model it very well could be the cause & not the speakers, ive had a couple early to mid 2000 onkyos fail all on their own, they are known to have issues & 2 of mine started cutting out at higher volumes then eventually wouldnt produce any sound.  the speaker ohm rating can contribute to the issue so maybe the fortes with big 12" woofers are drawing more power than the other ones?  based on pics & your explanation of what you've done theres a good chance it isnt the speaker & its the receiver itself.  if you have another receiver maybe try swapping it out & play at the same general volume & see what happens. 

i even had a late 90's onkyo i sold to a friend after many years of trouble free use myself... within 6 months of driving it very hard with A & B channels (4, 8 ohm speakers) it literally blew up with tons of orange'ish smoke billowing out of the case, almost caught on fire!  ive used onkyo for many years & for the most part they are very good for the price, but they can have issues & certain models of the era i mentioned are known to crap out. 

best of luck figuring it out.        

What do you have for resistance measured directly at the woofer bypassing the crossover network?

Are the woofers stock?

I am trying to figure out a way for you to test everything with limited test equipment. It would be nice if you could do a frequency vs impedance sweep of the speakers. You can download some free software like Arta and a signal generator app for your phone and do a sweep.

7 hours ago, Defacto said:

I welcome suggestions on how to proceed. 

At this point, my best plan is to replace one R26F with a Forte II, one at a time, and turn the volume to 80. 

Yep , but only hook up  2  speakers at once , to match the Forte II Hookup  , 1  speaker at a time would not duplicate the same problem -

if the amp shuts at 80 , then it's the Amplifier , and we can rule out the Forte II  and the crossovers -

37 minutes ago, captainbeefheart said:

I thought he already said the amplifier can play past '80' with the R26F speakers with no issues.

This  should not be a problem at all to  re-confirm just to be sure , but the test would have to be done with 2 speakers   versus a single   we could then rule out the wiring , the amplifier , and the woofers of the Forte II ( DCR is 3.7 Ohms /normal  ) 

1 hour ago, captainbeefheart said:

What do you have for resistance measured directly at the woofer bypassing the crossover network?

Are the woofers stock?

I am trying to figure out a way for you to test everything with limited test equipment. It would be nice if you could do a frequency vs impedance sweep of the speakers. You can download some free software like Arta and a signal generator app for your phone and do a sweep.

37 ohms  (approx)  new multimeter on the way

stock afik

I will look into Arta

30 minutes ago, 001 said:

This  should not be a problem at all to  re-confirm just to be sure , but the test would have to be done with 2 speakers   versus a single   we could then rule out the wiring , the amplifier , and the woofers of the Forte II ( DCR is 3.7 Ohms /normal  ) 

The two R26F play fine at 80; the two Forte II cause the Onkyo to shut down. 

9 minutes ago, Defacto said:

The two R26F play fine at 80; the two Forte II cause the Onkyo to shut down. 

ok , so the issue seems to be narrowed  down to the Crossovers , the woofers are ok at 3.7Ohms DCR -

if I were you , I would contact @captainbeefheart by PM , send him the crossovers ,  he can check them for you and do any repairs if needed .  

34 minutes ago, 001 said:

ok , so the issue seems to be narrowed  down to the Crossovers , the woofers are ok at 3.7Ohms DCR -

if I were you , I would contact @captainbeefheart by PM , send him the crossovers ,  he can check them for you and do any repairs if needed .  

Fortunately, captainbeefheart is participating in this thread!  

lol I just did the switching the Forte IIs for the R26Fs and they all played fine!   argghhh

I have both Forte IIs hooked up again and will work them to see if some Deity felt sorry for me and miraculously fixed everything.   :)   

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Defacto said:

lol I just did the switching the Forte IIs for the R26Fs and they all played fine!   argghhh

I have both Forte IIs hooked up again and will work them to see if some Deity felt sorry for me and miraculously fixed everything.   :)   

Give yourself a pat on the back!

Maybe the initial reading of .4 ohms was correct and through moving the board around to inspect fixed whatever was causing a short. After that you have been getting normal resistance readings and they play fine now confirming the short is gone, hopefully for good.

Everyone likes a happy ending

Thanks guys  :)

I set the volume at 80/100 for as long as I could stand it and all did go well.  

The fact that all was fine before at lower volume is what makes it not seem like

a short to me but like you, I'll hope for the best.

ps: I sure love the Forte IIs!

Edited by Defacto

1 hour ago, Defacto said:

Thanks guys  :)

I set the volume at 80/100 for as long as I could stand it and all did go well.  

The fact that all was fine before at lower volume is what makes it not seem like

a short to me but like you, I'll hope for the best.

ps: I sure love the Forte IIs!

It may have been something that was only touching and shorting out from the vibration of the speakers at higher output levels. At lower levels it wasn't causing a short and played normal.

On 1/22/2022 at 5:04 PM, captainbeefheart said:

It may have been something that was only touching and shorting out from the vibration of the speakers at higher output levels. At lower levels it wasn't causing a short and played normal.

I've been working the system for a couple days now with no issues.

I'm ready to declare that you were right! awesome!

I am a happy camper with my Forte IIs.

Thank you all again for your help. 

(What they do for movies is amazing!)

• Like 2