In-ceiling 2 or 4 speakers?

chuckears

I'm looking at installing in-ceiling speakers (CDT-5800's) soon, to bring Atmos into my existing 5.2 system, but there are special considerations in the room I'm placing them:

My listening/viewing position is two feet from the back wall.  This cannot be changed.  I have a cathedral ceiling, the peak of which runs in a path straight from the sweet spot to my display. If I install 4 in-ceiling speakers, the recommended 45-degree angle from the sitting position to the speakers front-back is possible, with the front pair a little over a third of the distance between me and the front soundstage, and the rear pair almost to the back wall (and almost directly above the side-surrounds on the wall).

I have read some recommendations that, in this scenario, it is better to go with just one pair of height speakers, placed just a little in front of the listening position - but I don't want to miss out on the potential height-surround material I might otherwise enjoy.  Also, with the angled ceiling and the ability to point the drivers in pretty much any direction I wish, I would like to think that I can overcome placement issues.

I would also like to think that it helps that I have the ARC system that came with my Anthem AVM70 to dial in room response curves.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement, or input about which scenario would work better?

Quick reply:

four is better than two, six is better than four. Speakers must be at least 3-4 feet from you ears. Farther is better. Base layer should be matched. Same with the elevated level speakers.

Quick recommendation:

Wall mounted RP-500SA set to surround on the switch, height position in AVP.

Room dimensions? What angle cathedral? How are you planning to mount ceiling speakers in a cathedral? Construction? Budget? Room use? WAF? Future plans for the space? 

7 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

Quick reply:

four is better than two, six is better than four. Speakers must be at least 3-4 feet from you ears. Farther is better. Base layer should be matched. Same with the elevated level speakers.

Quick recommendation:

Wall mounted RP-500SA set to surround on the switch, height position in AVP.

Room dimensions? What angle cathedral? How are you planning to mount ceiling speakers in a cathedral? Construction? Budget? Room use? WAF? Future plans for the space? 

It's a living room, 17x17 feet, but open in the back right corner to a dining area, and open in the front left to a hallway; the Mrs. has always given me the front soundstage wall to do with as I please.  She is down for the in-ceiling speakers, especially given their ability to blend in nicely.

The room height at the apex of the vault is 12', with the usual 8' on the side walls.  As nearly as I can tell, the angle of the vault is around 50 degrees - the height speakers will be angled instead of down-firing, but this model has the adjustable woofer and tweeter, so there is room to calibrate the angles after installation.