Klipsch RF-3 Crossover Question

poised4flight

I am trying to recap a pair of RF-3s using some old info I have found on the site.  I have attached the schematic for reference.

I am unable to find the 4.5uF caps from Dayton Audio.  All I see are 4.3uF and 4.7uf. 

a) what would the difference be running one of these two?

b) does anyone have a recommendation besides Dayton Audio that would have a 4.5uF cap available?

My apologies if I have posted this in the wrong forum.  If so, please let me know the best place to pose this question.

Thank you.

Klipsch RF-3 crossover schematics.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Values would be close enough for me but if you want to make the correct value use an appropriate value cap in parallel with the other. Capacitors in parallel add. With a quick check at Mousers they do have the 4.5uf cap in stock.  

https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-components/capacitors/film-capacitors/?capacitance=4.5 uF&instock=y

I've never used these types of caps before, are those the type I'm looking for?  I did find some axial Vishay's that may work but do not know anything about them.

https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-components/capacitors/film-capacitors/?capacitance=4.7 uF&dielectric=Polypropylene (PP)&termination style=Axial&tolerance=5 %&voltage rating ac=100 VAC~~160 VAC&rp=passive-components%2Fcapacitors%2Ffilm-capacitors|~Voltage Rating AC

Edited by poised4flight
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 4:58 PM, henry4841 said:

Mouser and Digi-key are two of the largest electronic supply stores in the USA. You can depend on them for quality components. 

I have ordered from both before.  I should have clarified, the original reply was a link to film capacitors in a package I've not used before.  I was asking whether I needed to use that type or axial polypropylene type.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poised4flight said:

I have ordered from both before.  I should have clarified, the original reply was a link to film capacitors in a package I've not used before.  I was asking whether I needed to use that type or axial polypropylene type.

will get lots of opinions on this subject, many are biased or unexperienced & just repeating what they've read.  you can use either type of capacitor if the values are the same & the average person would most likely never be able to hear a difference.  with that being said, there are better quality caps out there so depends on your budget what you use.  countless people have used the polypropylene caps like dayton, or sonicaps or you can jump on board with the "klipsch authroized" caps mentioned in other threads. 

nothing wrong with using either type & im not knocking any of them, but in my experience the budget poly caps sound very good & in most cases better than the aged stock mylar type caps used in most modern klipsch speakers.  i've used daytons before & recently like & use ERSE brand caps based on what Crites recommended to me a couple years ago saying they measure as good or better than other similar priced caps.  Also some of the higher priced & voltage caps like sonicaps are physically larger than the stock ones so can be hard to place on the printed circuit board, the ERSE fit with no problem & you can do both speakers for $20 or less with shipping.  parts express carries some good brands also. 

just my .02    

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

will get lots of opinions on this subject, many are biased or unexperienced & just repeating what they've read.  you can use either type of capacitor if the values are the same & the average person would most likely never be able to hear a difference.  with that being said, there are better quality caps out there so depends on your budget what you use.  countless people have used the polypropylene caps like dayton, or sonicaps or you can jump on board with the "klipsch authroized" caps mentioned in other threads. 

nothing wrong with using either type & im not knocking any of them, but in my experience the budget poly caps sound very good & in most cases better than the aged stock mylar type caps used in most modern klipsch speakers.  i've used daytons before & recently like & use ERSE brand caps based on what Crites recommended to me a couple years ago saying the measure as good or better than other similar priced caps.  Also some of the higher priced & voltage caps like sonicaps are physically larger than the stock ones so can be hard to place on the printed circuit board, the ERSE fit with no problem & you can do both speakers for $20 or less with shipping.  parts express carries some good brands also. 

just my .02    

Thanks.  I'm definitely not going with esoteric caps.  I bought these for $100 and am going to replace a bad driver and figured I'd recap them and replace the resistors with wirewound while I had them on the bench.  I'll look into the ERSE caps.

1 hour ago, poised4flight said:

Thanks.  I'm definitely not going with esoteric caps.  I bought these for $100 and am going to replace a bad driver and figured I'd recap them and replace the resistors with wirewound while I had them on the bench.  I'll look into the ERSE caps.

yeah for budget speakers like this the budget caps from dayton or ERSE will be perfectly fine. only need to use poly caps in the mid & tweeter section, the electrolytic in teh woofer section doeesnt effect the sound much & can stay lytic, some like poly caps there too but according to Crites & many others they dont make a difference you can hear & the values are usually pretty big so a 50uf+ poly cap will be huge & difficult to make fit on the stock boards. 

also just an FYI: crites says resistors wont change the sound any, some like to upgrade the cement cast resistors for mills type but according to many people its not worth it, especially on $100 speakers.