Hello all, 3 channel question

keithfox81

Hi, new to the community. Hoping I could get some advice/help on a possible project. Right now I have a pair of La scalas into a McIntosh ma 6100. I’ve been thinking about trying to get ahold of a single heresy to use as a center 3 channel setup. My system is used only for playing audio, not home theater. I have a spare McIntosh ma5100, as well as the above mentioned ma6100. I would like to keep the la scalas hooked to the ma6100 as a 2 channel setup. The 3rd channel would be independently hooked to the ma5100 with the mono setting. Keeping  the 2 channel la scala setup as the main player, turn on the 3rd channel when the mood strikes. I would need independent control of the volume, tone settings etc, between the pair of la scala, and the single heresy, if that’s possible?  I used to have a 90s kenwood receiver that I briefly used as a 3 channel setup where I could adjust the volume, tone, of each speaker independently. Basically that’s what I’d like to achieve, but with 2 separate integrated amps. Is there a easy way to do this?

• Like 1

A few old Macs has a derived center channel out at preamp level.  Does either of yours?  If not, Mr. Paul sketched up a line level box to derive the center channel and that could feed your 5100 to control the center.  I would link to the Dope From Hope had I found it. 

I will also recommend you rework the Heresy's crossover to be as much like your La Scala crossovers as possible and drop the taps of the squawker and tweeter on the autoformer one step to flatten the Heresy's response curve.  I have done both on my HT center channel Heresy. 

• Like 1

Thanks John, I’m not sure if I can do that with my Mac. That would be perfect if I could. I’ll look into that. I seem to recall the device you’re referring to. I first heard about it a couple month ago when researching 3 channel. It had a name like “the little box” or something similar?

I used a pair of Cornwall IIs between my LaScalas for a long time to fill out the middle.  Just used one stereo amp as I found the level of 2 CWs was fairly matched to the LS.

If you want separate volume, tone for the middles, you will need a second integrated amp.

More recently I've found a very well set up stereo array will out perform the additional speakers in terms of strong center image.  Room treatments go a very long way towards this end.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:45 PM, keithfox81 said:

Hi, new to the community. Hoping I could get some advice/help on a possible project. Right now I have a pair of La scalas into a McIntosh ma 6100. I’ve been thinking about trying to get ahold of a single heresy to use as a center 3 channel setup. My system is used only for playing audio, not home theater. I have a spare McIntosh ma5100, as well as the above mentioned ma6100. I would like to keep the la scalas hooked to the ma6100 as a 2 channel setup. The 3rd channel would be independently hooked to the ma5100 with the mono setting. Keeping  the 2 channel la scala setup as the main player, turn on the 3rd channel when the mood strikes. I would need independent control of the volume, tone settings etc, between the pair of la scala, and the single heresy, if that’s possible?  I used to have a 90s kenwood receiver that I briefly used as a 3 channel setup where I could adjust the volume, tone, of each speaker independently. Basically that’s what I’d like to achieve, but with 2 separate integrated amps. Is there a easy way to do this?

1 Heresy speaker would not be enough and definitely not in Mono , but adding a pair of  Heresy  Speakers as Stereo speakers would compliment the LS

Thanks for all the replies, sorry about the delay in responding. After talking to few people I’m leaning forwards just keeping a 2 channel setup. I kinda like member 001 suggestion of adding a pair though. How would you configure that? 1 in each of the 4 corner? The heresy stacked on there side, on top one another, in the center. Or, a heresy on top of each la scala? On a side note I’ll be uploading some pictures of my restoration when it’s complete. I have a pair of 1990 black la scala that I’ve since veneered, added bass reflex box, separated the top from the bass bin, installed crites crossover, swapped the horn for altec 511s

• 3 weeks later...