Chorus 2 speakers a friend has

mr clean

Chorus II was my favorite Klipsch Speaker. I actually liked them as

much as the Khorns. I wouldn’t worry about the crossovers. In those I’d rebuild them back to specs. If needed. Only thing is the rear passive.

of the surrounds are bad. $600 is a great deal. 

Chorus II was my favorite Klipsch Speaker. I actually liked them as

much as the Khorns. I wouldn’t worry about the crossovers. In those I’d rebuild them back to specs. If needed. Only thing is the rear passive.

of the surrounds are bad. $600 is a great deal. 

7 hours ago, mr clean said:

They look perfect. From the 90s. Very fair price. Are they worth getting and can I find replacement crossovers if needed? 600 for the pair to me. How good are they?

yes chorus 2 are excellent speakers, top of the chain for the quartet & forte line & as good or better than cornwalls that are the top of the non horn loaded bass models of the heritage line.  $600 is a great price considering they sell for $1000+ in good shape. 

the crossovers arent automatically bad so listen to them before messing with replacement, if they sound good they dont "need" to be replaced.  some like to upgrade the quality of the capacitors but the rest of the parts in them dont really go bad so no need to buy a expensive full replacement crossover, if you feel the need to update them you can just buy new capacitors for relatively cheap & replace them yourself if you have basic soldering skills or know someone that does. another popular upgrade is using titanium diaphrams in the tweeters.

if the rear passives are damaged you can have them reconed for very decent prices from simply speakers or other speaker parts companies.  

i would grab them asap if they are in good shape & for that price even if teh cabinets are a little rough as they can usually be improved or even re-veneered or painted black if you like that.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mr clean said:

They look perfect. From the 90s. Very fair price. Are they worth getting and can I find replacement crossovers if needed? 600 for the pair to me. How good are they?

600  $   is  a no brainer ,  forget everything you  know about  speakers with  "  decent bass "   Chorus Speakers have punchy bass that slams  you right in the chest  if pushed hard or even harder by using a  KP-301  crossover   , forget subs unless you're half deaf  ,  or if you crave to rattle the fillings out of your teeth   , basically they are   HARD ROCK METAL speakers ,  dont let your kids close to these speakers or you'll loose them , oh , and bolt them down , lock them up  , cause , they can start a Party across the street or City , and , you'll never get them back -

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 001 said:

600  $   is  a no brainer ,  forget everything you  know about  speakers with  "  decent bass "   Chorus Speakers have punchy bass that slams  you right in the chest  if pushed hard or even harder by using a  KP-301  crossover   , forget subs unless you're half deaf  ,  or if you crave to rattle the fillings out of your teeth   , basically they are   HARD ROCK METAL speakers ,  dont let your kids close to these speakers or you'll loose them , oh , and bolt them down , lock them up  , cause , they can start a Party across the street or City , and , you'll never get them back -

I did just the opposite installed Crites rebuilt Chorus II crossovers into my custom KP-301-II's and it was like a veil was lifted, really cleaned up the sound immensely. The KP crossovers are designed for extreme output with added circuitry for tweeter protection and higher crossover points-- unless you're planning on sustained concert level output or starting a DJ business the Chorus crossover is plenty stout in all my years of massive abuse on my Chorus II's I only ever lost a tweeter diaphragm a couple of times.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

I did just the opposite installed Crites rebuilt Chorus II crossovers into my custom KP-301-II's and it was like a veil was lifted, really cleaned up the sound immensely. The KP crossovers are designed for extreme output with added circuitry for tweeter protection and higher crossover points-- unless you're planning on sustained concert level output or starting a DJ business the Chorus crossover is plenty stout in all my years of massive abuse on my Chorus II's I only ever lost a tweeter diaphragm a couple of times.

you still got these KP 301 crossovers , I'll take them

He is waiting on a COVID test so it will be a few days. I have only saw them in pictures, so I hope they are as nice as the pics looked. He has some older electronics also. Carver and Phase linear gear, and some other stuff. It was his Fathers gear.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mr clean said:

Go get 'em. 

I am re-capping Chorus II crossovers right now.  Not difficult if you are good with a soldering station.  I am placing the caps on a separate board to make it cleaner.  Here are the completed Forte II x-overs I just did which are very similar. I went with a larger board for the Chorus.  I will post a bunch of detailed pics when I am done.  I also have some drawings of the circuit boards that I made to make it easier to follow. 

• Like 1