Using an app for EQ

Tom Savini

Hello all,

I just bought the R-51PM. 
I am happy with them, but I do miss an equalizer.

The 51's are connected to my PC using bluetooth. I have connected it with an USB cable as well. Not sure if there is a quality difference.

Have anyone a tips for an equalizer for Windows 10?

6 hours ago, Tom Savini said:

Hello all,

I just bought the R-51PM. 
I am happy with them, but I do miss an equalizer.

The 51's are connected to my PC using bluetooth. I have connected it with an USB cable as well. Not sure if there is a quality difference.

Have anyone a tips for an equalizer for Windows 10?

Welcome to the forum!

VLC MediaPlayer is a great, free tool for video and audio playback. It comes with a nice EQ.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

image.png.d379b2d2dd92163de4662a0281fe85f9.png

How to Save Audio And Equalizer Settings In VLC Player

If you want the most advanced software and are willing to pay a monthly fee, then Roon is your best bet:

https://roonlabs.com/ 

image.png.09ea71a973488ae655ea9e7f04e42f5e.png

image.thumb.png.b8b1968c844c1181d18d8245d5ea718b.png

• Like 2

MeloManiac............

This is a little off subject, sorry.

Do you know anything about using Roon with Bluesound BluOS?

I'm confused (again). (yes, it even happens to a seasoned veteran like myself).

I'm using NAD M32 with the BluOS module/streamer/player installed. I've been considering Roon for a while, but now I see something about it having EQ. Is Roon something used in conjunction with the BluOS app, or can it be used standalone/in place of the BluOS app?

I really wish NAD would have an M32 upgrade for DIRAC but I don't think that's going to happen.

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, artto said:

MeloManiac............

I'm using NAD M32 with the BluOS module/streamer/player installed. I've been considering Roon for a while, but now I see something about it having EQ. Is Roon something used in conjunction with the BluOS app, or can it be used standalone/in place of the BluOS app?

I really wish NAD would have an M32 upgrade for DIRAC but I don't think that's going to happen.

Great question, trying to figure that out myself.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, artto said:

MeloManiac............

I use Roon with a couple of Bluesound Pulse 2i speakers - it should be similar to your M32 since they are both "Roon Ready" devices.  Roon can completely replace the BluOS app and will stream directly to your M32.  I only use the BlueOS app to apply firmware updates and do basic management of my Bluesound devices.

The other thing I did in the BlueOS app was use their EQ which they have dialed in pretty well for the Bluesound Speakers.  I could have done this via Roon if I wanted too but i liked the idea of applying "global EQ" to all things streaming to the speakers rather than EQ for Roon streaming only.  The cool thing is Roon sees that EQ was applied via the BlueOS App and reports it as part of the streaming path so you know it is there.  Nice integration between Roon and BlueOS.

2 hours ago, pbphoto said:

I use Roon with a couple of Bluesound Pulse 2i speakers - it should be similar to your M32 since they are both "Roon Ready" devices.  Roon can completely replace the BluOS app and will stream directly to your M32.  I only use the BlueOS app to apply firmware updates and do basic management of my Bluesound devices.

The other thing I did in the BlueOS app was use their EQ which they have dialed in pretty well for the Bluesound Speakers.  I could have done this via Roon if I wanted too but i liked the idea of applying "global EQ" to all things streaming to the speakers rather than EQ for Roon streaming only.  The cool thing is Roon sees that EQ was applied via the BlueOS App and reports it as part of the streaming path so you know it is there.  Nice integration between Roon and BlueOS.

Thanks!!!

Unfortunately, the BluOS app for the M32 doesn't have any kind of parametric or graphic EQ. With the M32 the "EQ" tab only (on the M32) allows basic Bass & Treble controls and Balance. The BluOS app itself, for the M32, doesn't have any tone control/EQ of any kind. That's why I got kind of hopeful when I saw MeloManiac's post showing Roon EQ.

I'll download the Roon app today and give it whirl.

The funny thing is everything was fine until I installed a very dense and massive sound barrier in my room to prevent low frequency sound transmission through the outer wall that was bothering my neighbor when played loud. Well, the sound barrier was a complete success, however, now the bass energy is getting reflected back into my room and a typical tone control isn't quite doing the job right without affecting other frequencies.

24 minutes ago, artto said:

Thanks!!!

Unfortunately, the BluOS app for the M32 doesn't have any kind of parametric or graphic EQ. With the M32 the "EQ" tab only (on the M32) allows basic Bass & Treble controls and Balance. The BluOS app itself, for the M32, doesn't have any tone control/EQ of any kind. That's why I got kind of hopeful when I saw MeloManiac's post showing Roon EQ.

I'll download the Roon app today and give it whirl.

The funny thing is everything was fine until I installed a very dense and massive sound barrier in my room to prevent low frequency sound transmission through the outer wall that was bothering my neighbor when played loud. Well, the sound barrier was a complete success, however, now the bass energy is getting reflected back into my room and a typical tone control isn't quite doing the job right without affecting other frequencies.

To Quote Arte Johnson's German Soldier on Rowan and Martin's "Laugh In" :   "Very Interestingk"

After giving this more thought I was pretty sure this wouldn't work. So far I'm right. Please, someone, prove me wrong. 🙃

I downloaded the Roon app to my tablet. When I try to open the app, Roon starts looking for "Roon Core".

From what I can tell, "Roon Core" is either Roon's own "Nucleus" hardware. or something I install on my PC. There doesn't appear to be any way to use Roon directly with BluOS in the NAD M32, as I do with the BluOS app streaming from Tidal.

This is an issue. Streaming from Tidal to a PC requires a browser. Using a browser does not allow full hi-res files (24/192) to be streamed. AND, then I'm back to more interconnecting cables & signal path breaks which is why I prefer a true all digital throughput stereo Integrated amp like M32. Looks like I'm back to square one. GRRR

From what I can tell, the Roon app is only good for controlling "Roon Core" from my PC (or Roon Nucleus hardware). It's not controlling anything on the M32.

Correct - everything goes through the Roon Core which runs on some device on your home network - in my case, an old iMac.  It's job is to manage your music sources, content, and streaming endpoints. All your sources - Tidal, internet radio, Qobuz, or your local music library files - are available to the core.  If you have a Tidal account, you enable it in the Core which then talks to the Tidal API using your account.  Then, via the app, you tell the core what to stream where - in your case, the M32.  The core will talk via RAAT - Roon's streaming protocol - directly to the M32 which is Roon Ready, meaning it can receive RAAT.  BluOS is not involved.

My experience

Creative suite with their DAC works great for my headphones

haven't tried it on my LaScalas

This in on my industrial PC with quad processors, 16GB RAM, high performance video card etc

VLC Win 10 Dual core laptop on my McIntosh & LaScalas was terrible

couldn't keep up with the music, clipping etc.

Media Monkey EQ couldn't keep up either

My old school 1990s analog EQ sounds great defeating all challengers so far.

I would try several media players and see if any deliver good results on your PC or phone ...

Waterfox web browser for streaming movies, bitchute etc

VLC for watching movies from disks

Media Monkey for my 30,000+ songs on my NAS drive

5.1 system the DAC is a 10 year old Pioneer Elite THX system, with built in room correction and EQ

2.1 System DAC is an Emotiva XDA-1, EQ is a Sherwood 1990s vintage