Forte II Approx Valuation?

oldmako

Greetings gents.   May I indulge your patience for a moment?

I'm getting a bit long in the tooth and have decided to try and move a few of my children out of the house.  I have not been paying attention to things lately since most of my time centers around keeping kids off my lawn, PoliGrip and arguing with people I do not know on the internet.

I have an old pair of Forte IIs finished in Black.   A local guy has expressed an interest in them.  I don't know their vintage but the serial numbers are  246299451 and 452.   One has had its woofer replaced with the proper speaker from Klipsch.    The data tags say        FII  FIN.  BLK.  #19   GRILL

They sound great (of course) and are in decent shape.  The very bottom of the risers have some rash from them being moved around on carpet.  Carpet fibers grab the veneer and tear it.  Other than that, they look pretty good.   Say, no worse than 8 out of 10.   And after I shine them up a bit, perhaps a 9.     I have a pair of Walnut Forte I's that I am going to keep since they are in near mint condition.   

Edit *** I decided to remove the risers and trimmed a quarter inch from the 4 sides (the bottoms) on a table saw to eliminate the crummy areas.   I then ever so gently sanded a tiny 45 degree bevel on the new edges to prevent this from happening in the future.   This made a HUGE difference in their appearance.

So my question is, what are they worth?   I looked at completed listings on eBay and of course, they are all over the map.  I am astonished at what the new ones sell for.   I am not interested in shipping them.  If he doesn't take them, I will happily sell them to anyone else who may be interested in them.  I live in Virginia Beach, VA.

Thank you for any help.

• Like 1

No idea what's up with the pics.  Now that I've cleaned them up, I'd say they're an 8.     The cabs are not beat up at all, but have a few light scratches here and there.  No plant rings or cocktail rings.  Hell they've got to be 30 yrs old by now.   I've taken great care of them but they were a Craigslist find and I didn't pay much for them.  Just hooked them up and enjoyed them.   The speakers themselves appear to be in fine shape with zero wrong that I can see.   Even the passives still have their cones and no little kids or cats have violated them.   They're not perfect but not beaters either.

• Like 1

Are you sure you want to sell them? If you are keeping the other pair you have these might make for a great center in a HT setting or as rear surrounds. It’s your choice of course and prices now are crazy and you could sell easily if you want. We are seeing things of this nature go in the $1k neighborhood, give or take, as others mentioned, which is a large increase from just a few years ago. Kids don’t want them? Whatever you decide to do, best of luck.

• Like 2

I've got another pair of Forte Is and they're walnut and mint.   So that makes this pair somewhat less desirable even with the upgrade.  Plus, I am not fond of black speakers this large.  The Walnuts are elegant and beautiful.   And since I only use them at low levels in my bedroom in the morning their sonic abilities are less important to me.

I'll still have my Cornwalls, KLF 30s, CF3's, KG5.5's, Heresies, etc.  At this point in my life I am probably done collecting so it makes sense to loosen the gate at the corral.  The only thing I covet now are LaScala's and a  big McIntosh Amp.  And after what's been happening on Wall Street lately, my Govt Cheese Retirement plan won't allow for either of those.   And I'm more or less a 2CH guy anyway.   My HT setup is KG 5 fronts, a 13 inch sub and a C-7 center.   My house is a bit funky and open and doesn't really allow for the whole shebang.  And then there's that whole "wife" thing.

All of my gear will go to my only kid when I croak and my guess is that she'll sell all but the Cornwalls or CF3s.  I don't need to burden her with more things to put on CList.

I never paid much for any of them, except the Walnut Fortes.  Those set me back 400 bucks.  HA!  And the KLF30s were $800.   But that included a c-7 center.  HAHAHA.

Everything else was idiotically price by idiots who had no idea what they owned.   Marantz 2240 for 40 bucks, for example.  Mint.  Prob more than you wanted to know, but I'm in front of the CWalls with a beverage or two, relaxed and a bit bored.  

Be well.

• Like 6

IMG_5805.HEIC

Interested party says that this passive is bad.  "Creases" says he.   Is it?  Interested party no longer interested.   They just appear like marks from something bumping up against at some point.  I bought them like this.   I don't believe that the speaker material itself is damaged.   But I score pretty high on the "Just how ignernt are yew anyway?" scale.     What do you think?

**  I can't get the close up pic to load.  Says the file size is too big.  My ludditeness rules the day.