JEM Cap Kit 1980 Cornwalls

Pstores

I talked with Jim. Seems like very nice guy. Ordered the kit. Got it a few days later. Replaced the Type B Oil Can crossover caps with his kit. I can say it was a huge difference. These speakers don’t hurt my ears now. The clarity is better. Soundstage better. Everything is crisper and more accurate. Transparency was the biggest gain. But all in all I am surprised to the details that has come out. The Type B is as simple as a Xover as you’ll find in the Klipsch line. I do have some Vcap ODAM’s ordered. It’ll be interesting to see the difference. In Xovers the ODAM’s are my go to. The Highend Vcaps are just to expensive. I do have them in the Amps and preamp. ODAM’s seem like a good compromise. 

At the end of the day. Jim’s kit for my speakers were well worth the price. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 001 said:

the JEM Kit is both affordable and on par with Aftermarkets   Tx  for the + feedback -

Let’s just say I have a set of Forte II with ALK crossovers and they don’t hold a candle to my Cornwalls. But that could be for various reasons…  

31 minutes ago, Pstores said:

Let’s just say I have a set of Forte II with ALK crossovers and they don’t hold a candle to my Cornwalls. But that could be for various reasons…  

you're very right , Big 15 inch Cornwall  speakers are in a league of their own  -

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone is well, been just listening mostly through covid here.

Do you think the kits will squeeze more out of 78" Cornwalls or will these always be a little more duller that say CWII's even when updated ? I just hate to get too bright having older ears.

Anyone tried crossgrading from Crites kits to the JEM btw ?

Edited by SonofJames
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, SonofJames said:

Do you think the kits will squeeze more out of 78" Cornwalls or will these always be a little more duller that say CWII's ?

JEM Kits are the klipsch original capacitors , all JEM parts come directly from klipsch parts bins , they fit klipsch speakers like gloves because they are tested and approved by @Chief bonehead  for the klipsch original crossovers  ,meaning they are the only capacitors that can reproduce the klipsch signature sound , anything else will sound different .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SonofJames said:

Hope everyone is well, been just listening mostly through covid here.

Do you think the kits will squeeze more out of 78" Cornwalls or will these always be a little more duller that say CWII's even when updated ? I just hate to get too bright having older ears.

“Crossgrading”!

I like that. It is either original or crossgraded.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SonofJames said:

I just hate to get too bright having older ears  

Polypropylenes are a little brighter, but the sound has always seemed cleaner to me. 

Many have some age induced hearing loss, and typically aren’t bothered by some additional brightness unless they have tinnitus or listen at blistering volume levels. 

• Like 1