Toolshed Amps?

Shakeydeal

2 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

This can be said about any product. Reputable companies do build better products for a higher price that are more reliable, last a long time, and sound better. Sounds like Heritage speakers doesn't it. 

Yes, but you’ve taken my quote out of context. I was specifically talking about output transformers. For example, a $3000 pair of silver MQ transformers are not going to sound magnitudes better than something that cost $400. A good circuit design will yield better results. 

For someone just starting out, that “best iron” would be a waste of money. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Curious_George said:

If Bob can do it, obviously someone else can too. It’s not mapping the human genome.

My understanding of this challenge is that Bob was trying to make a SS amplifier sound similar to a specific tube amplifier and not the tube sound in general. Easier to do with pentode amplifiers but becomes much harder when one starts talking direct heated triode tubes such as the 300B with altogether different curves then pentodes and most transistors. Static Induction transistors, SIT's, are a rare breed with curves like triodes. Not available to the general public being used mostly by the military. NOS is the only way most are going to be able to find them which limits their availability for the general public.  

6 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

Yes, but you’ve taken my quote out of context. I was specifically talking about output transformers. For example, a $3000 pair of silver MQ transformers are not going to sound magnitudes better than something that cost $400. A good circuit design will yield better results. 

For someone just starting out, that “best iron” would be a waste of money. 

Was not meant for what you posted. Just talking in general terms. Sorry if taken wrong. I like and use Edcor transformers as best value for buck and yes I have used other more expensive OPT's and have not heard a great improvement of sound spending more. 

• Like 1

There is a big difference between DIYer's, forum hobbyist who turn out a product here and there for fun and a company that churns out products at whatever rate that not only need to remain solvent but financially motivated to continue with their work.

I've been looking at different tube products and the competition out there is fierce-- I am not envious of those that wish to compete in such a tough market. The advantage goes to the consumer with so many choices out there at every price point manufacturers really have to step up in quality and craftsmanship to justify higher price points. 

Staying on the title of this thread I would love to own on of his amplifiers to cherish and pass on to my kids when I am gone. Work of art which if same detail are inside the amplifier it would have to sound excellent. If one can afford one why not? It would be a showpiece. Work of art. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

manufacturers really have to step up in quality and craftsmanship to justify higher price points. 

I agree and the problem is sometimes you have to “look behind the curtain” and in some cases you may not like what you find. 

A lot of manufacturers are reputable, however, there are quite a few companies that have a great looking product and the guts are cloned junk circuits or just terrible overall. Then you have a great circuit and great amp and the looks are mediocre and then everything in between. 

The consumer really has some homework to do, but audio seems to be much worse in this area than other categories. 

14 hours ago, Steve. said:

What has Captain Beefheart built and for who?

I think this question is misplaced and assinine.

Perhaps the Captain will soon open up a small boutique amp company? If he puts out a product people want and desire, then he can claim he is successful. It all starts with one product and a happy customer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curious_George said:

this question is misplaced and assinine.

Absolutely agreed. I was beyond delighted when Captain was kind enough to offer his services to the audio community.   Without his offering, I would perhaps not have ever tried another tube amp. They are too damn expensive to just guess on what you like and what you don't.  This is based on my experience with only a few tubes amps some years ago.   I liked that sound of the frimaon 275 during my brief period with it, but would have been pissed paying full retail or close for it and learning what I now know about it later.... Captains knowledge and what he has been sharing has caught my attention and I have been reading and learning a bit with others contributing as well.  This is why I came to this forum in the first place.... Great people and vast knowledge.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I've been looking at different tube products and the competition out there is fierce-- I am not envious of those that wish to compete in such a tough market.

I was always very fond of music and musicians gear along with the audio equipment meant to recreate it in our homes. The thought crossed my mind to possibly get into the industry but doing a startup is a shot in the dark and is extremely hit or miss not matter how good your product is. At the time it was just too big a risk and I just wanted to start earning money so I could live a comfortable life instead of going bankrupt. This wasn't a personal decision, I had a family to provide for so I took jobs with financial security.

I never stated I am a successful amplifier company, I just enjoy making things especially amplifiers. I know I am in the minority in my viewpoints compared to your average audiophile and when one of them hears something from me they don't want to believe well then this is always how the argument starts. When they don't like the message they character assassinate the messenger to try and discredit me. It's fine, I don't expect to change peoples minds over night.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, captainbeefheart said:

If anyone is interested I have backwards engineered genome code for Pfizer's Mrna Covid vaccine. Not joking, another hobby.

How ironic I would use that phrase... BTW, I was vacinnated w/ mRNA and did not have any side effects (that I know of yet). It may have lowered my tolerance to stupidity and other loathsome traits...

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

How ironic I would use that phrase... BTW, I was vacinnated w/ mRNA and did not have any side effects (that I know of yet). It may have lowered my tolerance to stupidity and other loathsome traits...

Great read explaining the genome coding and how they design and produce the treatment. Who wouldn't want a DNA 3d printer right?  I have the paper from the University students also.

https://mottikumar3.medium.com/reverse-engineering-the-source-code-of-the-biontech-pfizer-sars-cov-2-vaccine-d3503a34f95f

12 minutes ago, Steve. said:

No, it was a serious question.  What are your accomplishments in this arena ?  I would love to see what you’ve built.   

Accomplishments? I am not sure what you are asking. I am not in the business of making amplifiers, I have zero interest in sending an amp off to a reviewer in hopes to get a name out for profit. This is just a hobby for me that I enjoy, once you start to have to put food on the table one needs to focus on business and profit and not just the joy of doing something. I have no accomplishments and admit openly. But that doesn't necessarily mean I don't know what I am talking about. My friend Bruce Egnater from Egnater Amplification (guitar stuff) is very successful I would say but why does he contact me asking questions about how to improve this or that in his gear? For example his latest model is a tube preamplifier and he was trying to improve the signal to noise ratio, he remembered something we had discussed previously so he reached out for some help to which I happily provided.

A friend of mine that loves vintage tube gear wanted that type of sound but on his budget. He sadly didn't want anything fun but hey it's his amp, he basically named a few amplifiers he really liked and most were Mullard 5-20 circuits and he loves the EL34 tube. Hey who am I to tell him what he likes. He has Klipsch Cornwall speakers btw. For anyone that knows anything about the Mullard circuit it has way too much gain. So I decided to triode wire the EF86 and instead of using a 12AX7 for a phase inverter I used a 12AY7. This dropped the open loop gain to more acceptable levels but more importantly it also dropped the amount of negative feedback from -30db to around -20db. For anyone that has tried to stabilize -30db or more of feedback around an output transformer and one stage of AC coupling (more phase shift) it isn't for the faint of heart. I was able to increase phase margin substantially by lowering open loop gain and subsequent amount of negative feedback. I gave him the classic layout look inside complete with turret board and multisection capacitors that I typically don't use. I had a very small budget to work with and so they are not the most beautiful amplifiers. The inside picture is not completely wired up and ground bus wasn't installed yet. I am trying to look for a finished picture of the inside but can't seem to find one on my computer.

Just an example of budget amplifier that can be made and not break the bank. There is plenty of room for upgrades in the future. He absolutely loves the sound and couldn't be happier. Both mono amps shipped across the country was a total cost of ~$1400. Shipping wasn't cheap either.

top.JPG

inside.JPG

• Like 4