Toolshed Amps?

Shakeydeal

3 minutes ago, captainbeefheart said:

Distortion is a change of the waveform between input and output, any difference will be measurable and quantifiable.

The problem is that the typical standard type distortion you are referencing are made with waveforms that are basic and simple but in reality they don’t even begin to put the amplifier under the conditions that we are requiring it to perform with (ie: complex musical waveforms which are transient in nature as well and unlike your basic distortion test typically sited).

Do you believe that a typical harmonic or intermodulation distortion test really represents a complex musical waveform which is really what an amplifier has to pass..?

miketn

2 hours ago, captainbeefheart said:

For anyone interested sit down at a piano and play these musical intervals that relate to harmonic distortion. You will be able to hear the difference in what these different harmonies sound like which directly relates to how harmonious the type of distortion is.

So it's not just total harmonic distortion, but what TYPE of distortion it is made up as.

My wife can play the piano (I can’t even play dice) and is quite good at it although it is strictly for pleasure, not a pianist by trade (she is a commercial pilot). We have a piano and it is one of my pieces of “test equipment “. I know exactly what you mean Captain!

• Like 1

Let me digress for a moment… 

Three books from Bob Cordell, Doug Self and Randy Sloane should have tube equivalents, but they don’t. I found these books back in the day to clearly explain the mechanisms at work in amplifier design. If you design an amp and omit any of the distortion/linearity mechanisms, then you have intentionally designed the amp to be less the optimum and thus introduced your sonic signature to the design. 

If every amp manufacturer followed the text book, we would all be buying the same amp. Some designers think mechanism “A” has less effect than mechanism “B” and they design accordingly. 

My point is, is that is all about the circuit design, not so much the boutique parts. If you understand the mechanisms, you design your amp and choose adequate parts to supplement your final design. If one part changes the sound of your design significantly , your design is flawed. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I wanted to revive this thread after spending a few months with my Toolshed Transcendence 300b amp.    

I have it paired with Forte IVs and was originally using it with a Zesto Leto preamp.    The amp is equipped with the optional CTC vintage power transformer,  Hitachi Fine Met Amorphous OPT , Mundorf sio caps,  Jupiter caps,  Khozmo stepped attenuators and outfitted with new Western Electric 300b power tubes, Amperex 7788 input tubes and a Raytheon 274b rectifier.

The quality, fit , and finish of this amp is not fully appreciated until you see it first hand.    It is a work of art that sounds just as good as it looks, maybe better.    Pics do not do this amp justice !!!!   The inside is nicely laid out, very high quality hand made turret boards and clever use of mounting hardware and stand offs.  There is no plastic in this amp, no zip ties,  no double face tape everything is securely mounted with hardware.    

I was surprised how mechanically quiet and free of noise this amp is.  It is remarkably quiet ,   Zero hum or noise from the chassis and a black , quiet background free of noise or hum.   This for me is crucial.    I have sold a few pieces of gear that sounded good but had even the slightest hint of self noise.   

I have never had a SET amp,  my last few amps were all push pull pentode types, EL34, 6L6 , etc.    This amp has a purity and transparency that I have never experienced first hand.   

It is well balanced top to bottom.   Obviously it's midrange is amazing but it really surprised me in the bass region.  It is deep, tight , and never flabby like they are "supposed" to be.    I rarely turn my sub on since getting this amp,  it's low end is so good for most material, the sub muddies up the low end.  

I'm not going to try to sound like a reviewer,  I will say this was the best audio component  purchase I have ever made in 40 plus years of enjoying hi fi.    This amp is so good I am having Matt build me the companion DHT preamp.   

Www.toolshedamps.com 

https://i.postimg.cc/7YRx8SXQ/B25-B2495-3-AF4-4807-ACCF-DFA55-D0549-D6.jpg

B25-B2495-3-AF4-4807-ACCF-DFA55-D0549-D6.jpg

• Like 6

Those amps are simply a work of art.   I would love to own one.   I will be replacing my 20yr old Chinese EL34 amp with something new after Christmas.  I have the Tool Shed, Ayon and Bob Carvers Crimson 275 on my list.  The Crimson looks like a bargain compared to these other 2.  The Ayon and 275 are rated at 75w/ch. The TS is 8w/ch i think.    I'm driving a pair of CornScala's using  B&C mid drivers.  Can 8w's drive these to 90db levels with plenty of low and mid bass punch?

You get an heirloom piece when you have a Toolshed built for you.    I can't even count how many nights I have been up til midnight or 1 AM listening to this amp...    was absolutely worth the money and I don't part with that kind of money easily.     Amazing combo with Forte IV 

Thanks Fido !   I can’t wait for it’s companion preamp to arrive.  It will be a DHT based on the 205d tube with a Khozmo remote control encoder volume control.  It is a relay / ladder that only places one resistor in the path with each volume increment. Should pair nicely with the amp 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve. said:

Thanks Fido !   I can’t wait for it’s companion preamp to arrive.  It will be a DHT based on the 205d tube with a Khozmo remote control encoder volume control.  It is a relay / ladder that only places one resistor in the path with each volume increment. Should pair nicely with the amp 

Sounds awesome Steve. Congrats on the new amp/preamp and Forte IVs.

• Like 1