Jump to content

shopping for a Klipsch subwoofer for theater.


mopardave
 Share

Recommended Posts

Klipsch offers so many options in subwoofer.  Anyone here have a Klipsch sub or reviewed any in person?    I read some bad reviews on them.  Seems some are ok and some suck.  Not sure what size i need, but i have a 15x21 theater/listening room.  I need the sub for theater only.   Currently looking at the Synergy Black Label line.   Any feed back on any Klipsch subs welcomed.  Thanks   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2022 at 10:16 AM, mopardave said:

   Any feed back on any Klipsch subs welcomed.  Thanks   

I personally love the RSW line but they are getting a little long in the tooth at this point. I know a couple people who picked up the r-115sw on special for cheap around $450? IIRC and they seem happy with them. Plates seem to be a weak point I'd buy from an authorized dealer maybe @Paducah Home Theater has some in stock for a decent price? I've been tempted by the Cherry r-112sw they go on sale every once in awhile for pretty cheap $350 or so nice looking too. 

 

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-115SW-Subwoofer/dp/B00NT3TANI

 

 

r-112sw-cherry-powered-subwoofer.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

ok, thanks for the input.  Are the SVS subs any good?

In my experience they are all over the board-- they have some really nice high end subs but you will pay quite a bit for those they also have their "low end" subs which are get what you pay for not too impressive in my view. Honestly best bang for your buck is home built which may be easier than you think with multiple flat-packs available online.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mopardave said:

ok, thanks for the input.  Are the SVS subs any good?

I like my SVS SB-2000 with my La Scalas. I've had it for 3 years now with no problems and it sounds great. I think the SB-2000 is discontinued and replaced by the SB-2000 Pro.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Desert Noises said:

I like my SVS SB-2000 with my La Scalas. I've had it for 3 years now with no problems and it sounds great. I think the SB-2000 is discontinued and replaced by the SB-2000 Pro.

Wow that sub looks nice! $899 from SVS -3db at 19hz 550rms watts less than 40lbs I like it. 

 

Quick Specs

  • Driver | 12"
  • Amplifier | 550 watts RMS (1500+ watts peak)
  • Freq. Response | 19-240 Hz ±3 dB
  • Dimensions | 14.6" (H) 14.2" (W) 15.6" (D)

 

https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-2000-pro?variant=31456365936749&wiz_medium=cpc&wiz_source=google&wiz_campaign=7977155743&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI38qk_KDf9QIVdR-tBh3tEwkEEAYYAiABEgJ1hvD_BwE#techanchor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just noticed on the SVS website free shipping and a 45 day risk free in home trial along with a 5 yr warranty I might have to pick one of these up my neighbors will love me. Damn just lo0ked at the SB-3000 800rms watts 13" driver only $200 more I need to quit looking at these!

 

https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-3000?variant=13625168429165&wiz_medium=cpc&wiz_source=google&wiz_campaign=7977155743&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI38qk_KDf9QIVdR-tBh3tEwkEEAYYBiABEgJ9avD_BwE#techanchor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Just noticed on the SVS website free shipping and a 45 day risk free in home trial along with a 5 yr warranty I might have to pick one of these up my neighbors will love me. Damn just lo0ked at the SB-3000 800rms watts 13" driver only $200 more I need to quit looking at these!

 

https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-3000?variant=13625168429165&wiz_medium=cpc&wiz_source=google&wiz_campaign=7977155743&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI38qk_KDf9QIVdR-tBh3tEwkEEAYYBiABEgJ9avD_BwE#techanchor

 

SVS are excellent subs & with everything you mentioned above they are hard to beat for the price points,  add to that the warranty is transferable, 1yr upgrade program,  & they have the best customer service in the business, call them & a knowledgeable person picks up the phone on the 3 or 4th ring & will talk with you for a half hour if you need advice on which sub is best for your needs/room or for technical assistance before or after the sale... & they reply to emails in a day or 2!  they also do large giveaways on their podcast once a month or so. yes there are "better" subs but SVS has a lot going for it other companies dont, & their performance is very good & competitive with many of the top brands out there. HSU is another good value to performance sub to consider.  

 

  even the sb/pb1000pro is a great sub for ~$500.  i own 2 sb2000 & they are very good subs, especially for their size, about a 14" cube, in a similar 15x21 room they are as much as i need to add the lower octave the chorus drop off at, great for music & movies. most people agree the sb/pb3000 is the best bang for the buck & has an app for smart phone controls.  i am planning to upgrade to the sb3000 this year & will put the 2000s up for sale.   

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Thanks for the heads up on the subs. I will continue shopping.

I've been looking around on the webs for a bit now came across a couple different options for very reasonable prices, the RSL-10 Speedwoofer for $399 and the Monoprice Monolith 10 for $649. The RSL is out of stock otherwise I probably would have ordered one as there's tons of great reviews all over including several on Youtube. I'm looking for a sub for myself as well at this point but need it to blend well for music as well that's why I'm leaning towards the RSL plus my space is 14x18 and I have very close neighbors. 

 

From an RSL review:

 

"The CEA-2010 output measurements are excellent for a subwoofer of this size and price. They’re almost the same as I measured from the SVS $699 SB-2000, which has a 12-inch driver and a 500-watt amp; the SB-2000 averages +0.6 dB more output between 40 and 63 Hz and -0.1 dB less output between 20 and 31.5 Hz."

 

https://hometheaterreview.com/rsl-speedwoofer-10s-subwoofer-reviewed/

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I picked my subs 12 years ago, but back then SVS were really good. I opted to go another route because I got more bang for buck, but I nearly went with the SVS.

I ended up with 6 18 inch CHT (Chase Home Theater) subs (I know overkill). These subs are extraordinary performers, but ugly. I have 2 CHT.2 which are 2 18 inch subs in one box powered by a Dayton SA amp. I also have 2 separate (separate enclosures) 18 inch subs (CHT.1) that I would be willing to sell cheap. You will need to get a new Dayton amp, and WAF is low but these will shatter your windows and go lower then pretty much any other sub.

EDIT: The HSU are also very highly regarded. Over on AVS they had a bunch or head to head sub shoot outs, you might want to research them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Dr_jitsu said:

I picked my subs 12 years ago, but back then SVS were really good. I opted to go another route because I got more bang for buck, but I nearly went with the SVS.

I ended up with 6 18 inch CHT (Chase Home Theater) subs (I know overkill). These subs are extraordinary performers, but ugly. I have 2 CHT.2 which are 2 18 inch subs in one box powered by a Dayton SA amp. I also have 2 separate (separate enclosures) 18 inch subs (CHT.1) that I would be willing to sell cheap. You will need to get a new Dayton amp, and WAF is low but these will shatter your windows and go lower then pretty much any other sub.

EDIT: The HSU are also very highly regarded. Over on AVS they had a bunch or head to head sub shoot outs, you might want to research them.

Ok, ill check out the HSU as well as the others mentioned this weekend when i have more time.  Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Budman said:

do you have room for 2 subs

i have 2 R-115's you can try out. we don't live that far apart

Not really.  Figured one would be enough for what i'm doing.   The Klipsch 115 looks like a good pick, but i will check out the others listed this weekend.   Thanks for the offer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...