shopping for a Klipsch subwoofer for theater.

mopardave

On 2/2/2022 at 9:16 AM, jjptkd said:

I've been looking around on the webs for a bit now came across a couple different options for very reasonable prices, the RSL-10 Speedwoofer for $399 and the Monoprice Monolith 10 for $649. The RSL is out of stock otherwise I probably would have ordered one as there's tons of great reviews all over including several on Youtube. I'm looking for a sub for myself as well at this point but need it to blend well for music as well that's why I'm leaning towards the RSL plus my space is 14x18 and I have very close neighbors. 

From an RSL review:

"The CEA-2010 output measurements are excellent for a subwoofer of this size and price. They’re almost the same as I measured from the SVS $699 SB-2000, which has a 12-inch driver and a 500-watt amp; the SB-2000 averages +0.6 dB more output between 40 and 63 Hz and -0.1 dB less output between 20 and 31.5 Hz."

https://hometheaterreview.com/rsl-speedwoofer-10s-subwoofer-reviewed/

I like what i read about the RSL 10s subs.  Looks like i would definitely  need 2.   I like the Klipsch 115sw and i think i can get away using 1 of those.   Still looking.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 11:13 AM, Dr_jitsu said:

I love love love Klipsch speakers....but their subs are terrible. 

Would the Polk PSW10 or the JBL SUB A100P sub be "better" than a R-12w?   I am looking at upgrading what I have and those are my only 3 options (live in Okinawa, Japan).  All 3 are at about 350$ here. 

On 2/9/2022 at 10:42 PM, Mallow81 said:

Would the Polk PSW10 or the JBL SUB A100P sub be "better" than a R-12w?   I am looking at upgrading what I have and those are my only 3 options (live in Okinawa, Japan).  All 3 are at about 350$ here. 

I am not familiar with those...AVS forum has some good info on subs (although the mods are a bit tyrannical). They are running ads on SVS, which was good back when I was in the market....also HSU. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2022 at 8:04 PM, mopardave said:

I like what i read about the RSL 10s subs.  Looks like i would definitely  need 2.   I like the Klipsch 115sw and i think i can get away using 1 of those.   Still looking.

Just wanted to update.  I purchased a Klipsch R115 sub.  Just waiting for it to arrive.    I see many have had issues with this sub. I decided to roll the dice on it.  What was the fix?

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 12:34 PM, mopardave said:

Just wanted to update.  I purchased a Klipsch R115 sub.  Just waiting for it to arrive.    I see many have had issues with this sub. I decided to roll the dice on it.  What was the fix?

I received and unboxed the R115 sub.  What a behemoth of a sub.   Yet to get it hooked up. I will work on that today.  I have a very complicated Marantz 5.1 AV and all adjustments have to be made on screen. I hate this. Give me controls on the front of the unit. If i cant get it figured out, it goes back on Ebay.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mopardave said:

I received and unboxed the R115 sub.  What a behemoth of a sub.   Yet to get it hooked up. I will work on that today.  I have a very complicated Marantz 5.1 AV and all adjustments have to be made on screen. I hate this. Give me controls on the front of the unit. If i cant get it figured out, it goes back on Ebay.   

I've had the smaller r112sw for awhile now and actually quite happy with it, very clean sounding bass and plenty of output for my room. Curious to hear your impressions on the larger sub after you've had time to get it dialed in, congrats!

On 3/15/2022 at 11:34 AM, mopardave said:

Sorry, there was no fix. The Klipsch design for speakers is world class. The Klipsch design for subs is just s losing proposition. I had one and nothing I could do, room placement, tuning, etc could improve it, it just sucked, Hard. I have all CHT 18 inch subs, some of the ugliest subs ever...but boy oh boy do they perform. It is night and day. It is like comparing a Klisochorn to Bose. When you listen to some properly tuned and placed real subs...made by people who specialize in subs (SVS, HSU, etc.) you will never go back.

I am sorry, that is probably not what you want other but the Klipsch are just a bad sub design from the get go.

The good news is that they carry the Klipsch name, and in my experience anything with the Klipsch name is easy to sell.