I want to refinish my Forté II. Could I just sand them and apply some new stain?

attanasio666

3 hours ago, attanasio666 said:

Hello, I'm wondering if the veneer is thick enough to be sanded if I wanted to change the color? If not, could I just lightly sand it and apply some new stain of the same color(black)?

Pics of current damage: https://imgur.com/a/WLFgGeu

I am refinishing a set right now. 

The veneer is thick, much thicker than anything that you see nowadays, but do be careful.  You need to search to see others thread on changing the color from black.  it has been done successfully, but there are challenges as well as deal breakers in some instances. 

If you want to change the color, you need to very carefully look at the grain of your speakers to be sure that the wood is the same on both speakers.  Your speakers look like oak.  I saw a thread here where someone sanded everything down and the speakers were different wood. 

The veneer might also not be to your liking if you refinish.  Klipsch painted the veneer defect speakers black.  Examine the veneer and make sure that the patterns match to your liking, all panels are the same type of wood and both speakers are the same wood.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 11:40 AM, attanasio666 said:

Hello, I'm wondering if the veneer is thick enough to be sanded if I wanted to change the color? If not, could I just lightly sand it and apply some new stain of the same color(black)?

Pics of current damage: https://imgur.com/a/WLFgGeu

it would better to strip the black paint  ----once most of the BK paint is removed ,use steel wool with mineral spirits  to remove any black paint residue  then , you can very lightly sand , and stain -

• Like 1

I've got a set of CF-3 v1's that are satin black and the paint looks awful. Not scratched up really...just bad paint job.  I'm going to strip the paint off,  square up all corners, and re-veneer them in either ribbon mahogany, walnut, or cherry.  Easy on these as there are only 3 sides to cover on each and no front facing trim.

Me personally if I had your Fortes, I'd strip them and re-veneer.  I'm not as much a fan of seeing all the black paint left in the grain...and especially if that's oak underneath (which I already like the least of all grains). If they weren't gouged up much, my other option would be to paint them back black.  That's a black satin paint on them....not stain.  

I've sanded black finish from Klipsch speakers. The speaker looks like it's oak, but may be walnut. I've used a water based black stain mixed with black dye 50/50. I do a couple of coats of that, then after it dries, I put a coat or two of wax. An issue with changing the color could be if the speakers are not consecutive serial numbers, you may have different wood specie veneers under the black finish.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've refinished a few different pairs of speakers.  Heresy BR's that were painted grey, a mismatched pair of H1's (Fir Black and Oak) that had thick gooey black industrial paint. And pair of Oak Cornwall II's that were in super sad shape with huge gashes, burn marks and rings on top.

I like black lacquer so I've gone black with all of them except a pair of HBR's that I lightly sanded and used Watco oil on.

Heresy done.jpg

Heresy 4_18_22b.jpg

Heresy done 3.jpg

Heresy7.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

Heresy d.jpg