Can the Cornwall IV's fill the room

res_communes

Looking at pair of Cornwall IV’s to ‘replace’ my mid-80’s La Scalas.  I’m only considering moving to this option as my wife of ~30yrs has decided that my LS-BR’s don’t work with her vision for the new décor.  I contemplated other options and determined divorce would be more costly than a new set of LS II’s or even AL5’s.  That said, I spoke with a seller that has a used mint condition pair of Walnut Cornwall IV’s (that will fit with her majesty’s vision) for $4.2K.  I’m tempted by the price but have concerns.  I have a large open concept room where the speakers will be placed (13’Hx24’Wx28’D).  I’ve immensely enjoyed the LS’s in this room but have apprehension about the ability of the Cornwall IV’s to fill it the way the LS’s have.   Any thoughts for forum members will be appreciated.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

You don’t hear of many people who go from a horn loaded low end to a direct radiator style and are completely happy with their decision. I know I wasn’t. If you really like the La Scala’s, you might not be either. 

I couldn’t agree more.

I'd love to stain my LS's however they've earned a beautiful patina over the years with many applications of Tung oil.  Given that, I think it will be difficult for the wood to accept stain (other than a gel stain...and I haven't seen a gel stain that I'd be satisfied with).  Veneer may be the way to go.  I hadn't considered that option.  Thanks for the reco wuzzzer

You could add a layer of 1/4 - 1/2 inch birch ply to the left, right and top, then veneer with the grain of choice. The thicker sides will look more like fine furniture, and will cost you less than the newer LS. Even though the looks of the newer ones are killer.

• Like 3

I agree with the sentiment in this thread. Although I have no doubt the Cornwall IV would fill your room, you will miss what the LS brings to the table. I went from CW IV to LS II. I loved the Cornwalls, great speakers. But the midrange of the LS II and the folded horn bass is a really nice upgrade. Although Lascala IIs don't come around very often, if you can locate a pair, that's my suggestion. Mine are cherry and look very elegant in the listening room.

• Like 3