General use Amp for self built Belle / Scala suggestions?

Moss54

Hi all, 

I have finished building a pair of custom Klipsch Belle / Scala style speakers. Has been a long term project for my home. They are birch ply with spalted oak veneer. 

The hardware was bought from Crites Speakers and is as follows:

Pair of CT120 Tweeters 
Pair of A-55G Midrange Drivers 
Pair of CW1526C Woofers 
Pair of Type A crossovers 

I would like to invest in a nice amp later on but at the moment I am very short of cash and would like something budget to listen to my music that is appropriate for the speakers and won't damage the hardware. 

Any ideas?

(I live in the UK)

Thanks for your time!

klipsch speaker.jpg

• Like 3

I'm told that they would be considered to be an 8ohm load, and very efficient at about 104db for 1watt.

I do not know about amps, and I was hoping that I might get some advice on what type of amp would be suitable for this setup. Apologies for the confusion, by 'budget' I meant cheap. The main criteria is that they are cheap and compatible with the specs I have given.

I'm aware that this is a forum for enthusiasts and I understand that cheap options may not be of interest but I have spent a lot of time and money so far and would like to enjoy the speakers while I save for a more quality setup.

• Like 2

Looks as though you put together some nice gear so far.  Thinking SS or tube amplification?  Spinning vinyl or???  I'm sure you could put together a nice system in the UK.  Look at what you've done so far.  Cambridge Audio makes some good gear.  A bit too pricey?  Pick out a nice receiver that works for you then.  Just keep your eyes open and look for "deals" everywhere on either new or used.  Everyone is different and it's your pocket.  Wuzzer's right let us know what YOU really want.  There are all kinds of things out there today.  Klipsch will trip your trigger.  You know that already. 

Thanks Dave, I guess I'm looking for something basic (and cheap) that I can use to play hight quality digital music from my laptop (aux) but also for a vinyl turntable. Oh and I was thinking SS as I figure the bottom end ones are better quality than the bottom end tube?

I guess I was hoping to learn a bit about whether traditionally people use certain brand amps with Klipsch speakers. Also, compatibility I do not know enough technically so whether I need to get a Class A amp or not? things like that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Moss54 said:

Basically as cheap as possible 😪 I guess the best of the worst 

Look on Craigslist or whatever your equivalent is in the UK and find a receiver from about year 2000 to 2004 or so that is non-hdmi (is lacking any HDMI inputs).  These are dirt cheap right now.  A Denon AVR 3805 or above will work nicely and have an OK built in tuner, and nice DACs and a phono input.  Marantz is also another good option.  Yamaha too. 

If you can find anything that is THX Certified at your price point, go for it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Look on Craigslist or whatever your equivalent is in the UK and find a receiver from about year 2000 to 2004 or so that is non-hdmi (is lacking any HDMI inputs).  These are dirt cheap right now.  A Denon AVR 3805 or above will work nicely and have an OK built in tuner, and nice DACs and a phono input.  Marantz is also another good option.  Yamaha too. 

If you can find anything that is THX Certified at your price point, go for it. 

Ok cool, thank you I will check this out. At a glance the prices seem manageable. I'm just starting out so this is a really great start for me. 

• Like 1

Here is Gumtree.  I don't knwo where you are in the UK.

https://www.gumtree.com/stereos-audio

These Panasonic Sa XR 57's were all the rage about 15 years ago around here.  The Class D amps worked well with Klipsch. 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/stereo-systems/panasonic-av-control-receiver-sa-xr57-with-remote/1424426755

I watch auctions a LOT.  Settled in with one guy and I've found all kinds of good stuff for my system.  Or the "garage sale" section here could fill your void.  Just remember it's up to you what you do.  You'll sort it ad step your game up just like most of us have here.  It's tough telling someone what to buy.  As efficient as Klipsch speakers are some still use a small 5 watt tube amp.  Just a myriad of options out there.

2 minutes ago, Moss54 said:

I'm just starting out so this is a really great start for me. 

Everyone starts somewhere.  You'll figure it out.  Patience is a virtue.  This place is great and you can glean tons of good info.  You can also drown yourself in the info you get.  Settle in, thunk on it and relax.  What do YOU want it to do?  You already KNOW it's going to sound great.  Now it's a step at a time.  BABY steps!  Receiver/small tube amp, turntable, cart, phono stage for your table,  Baby steps brother.  A thing at a time but ALWAYS keep an eye out and scrounge it if you can.  If you can actually hear it play that's an added plus.  It'll drive you insane if you let it.  Have fun and stick around.  :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Everyone starts somewhere.  You'll figure it out.  Patience is a virtue.  This place is great and you can glean tons of good info.  You can also drown yourself in the info you get.  Settle in, thunk on it and relax.  What do YOU want it to do?  You already KNOW it's going to sound great.  Now it's a step at a time.  BABY steps!  Receiver/small tube amp, turntable, cart, phono stage for your table,  Baby steps brother.  A thing at a time but ALWAYS keep an eye out and scrounge it if you can.  If you can actually hear it play that's an added plus.  It'll drive you insane if you let it.  Have fun and stick around.  :)

Thanks, a lot of food for thought. I'll suppose I'm still figuring out what I want. I haven't properly listened to the speakers yet so I'm a bit eager to get started 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I don't mean to be a dick, but that's about 540.00 USD. You have a really nice pair of speakers there. Don't you think you should give them something better than that?

I run a pair of B&W Signature 805 Tiger Eye speakers off a Denon 3805 and five Palladiums from a Denon AVR 5800.  Really expensive speakers in both cases and dirt cheap receivers on the second hand market. 

The 5800 is really special, 170 wpc x 7.  Transformer is about 5" or more across and weighs a ton.  Look at that beauty.  $4,000 when new 20 years ago. 

denon-avr-5800.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I don't mean to be a dick, but that's about 540.00 USD. You have a really nice pair of speakers there. Don't you think you should give them something better than that?

I said before I don't have a high budget at the moment. This is a transitionary phase where I just want to be able to listen to my music in some form. That is what it's all about . . . right? 😂

• Like 2