General use Amp for self built Belle / Scala suggestions?

Moss54

12 minutes ago, Moss54 said:

I said before I don't have a high budget at the moment. This is a transitionary phase where I just want to be able to listen to my music in some form. That is what it's all about . . . right? 😂

Understood. You never mentioned if you have a preamp. If this is a transition piece, I would just go with one of the chinese tube integrateds from either Reisong or Boyuu that can be purchased on Amazon around your price point. There have been several positive reviews on Youtube on these amps. And with Amazon, just send it back if it really sucks.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Understood. You never mentioned if you have a preamp. If this is a transition piece, I would just go with one of the chinese tube integrateds from either Reisong or Boyuu that can be purchased on Amazon around your price point. There have been several positive reviews on Youtube on these amps. And with Amazon, just send it back if it really sucks.

Ok interesting, I'll have a look at the tube integrated ones. I don't have a preamp, only the speakers atm so really am starting from scratch

• Like 1

If you want something really inexpensive that will give you a surprisingly good start, consider this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CJZGT6H?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

You will need a preamp, but you can get one from the same company and still be easily within your price limits. And, these amplifiers actually sound great with Klipsch speakers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Look on Craigslist or whatever your equivalent is in the UK and find a receiver from about year 2000 to 2004 or so that is non-hdmi (is lacking any HDMI inputs).  These are dirt cheap right now.  A Denon AVR 3805 or above will work nicely and have an OK built in tuner, and nice DACs and a phono input.  Marantz is also another good option.  Yamaha too. 

If you can find anything that is THX Certified at your price point, go for it. 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/amplifiers/marantz-pm4200-stereo-integrated-amplifier-with-turntable-input/1424452527

I've been looking around and this one seems to fit the description quite well. Marantz PM4200, made 2001-2003. In my price range (didn't seem to be that expensive when it was new...) The specs seem to fit? I'm wondering if it will have enough power?

What do people think in regards to general compatibility? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Moss54 said:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/amplifiers/marantz-pm4200-stereo-integrated-amplifier-with-turntable-input/1424452527

I've been looking around and this one seems to fit the description quite well. Marantz PM4200, made 2001-2003. In my price range (didn't seem to be that expensive when it was new...) The specs seem to fit? I'm wondering if it will have enough power?

That would work. Grab it!

• Like 4

That little Marantz will give you everything you need to get started and should sound quite nice with your speakers. It isn't going to be the best thing in the world, but it will be good. Then, once you've got some music coming out of those beauties, keep hanging around the forums reading what others are saying about various components. Ask questions. See what others are using and listening to. Before long, you will have a pretty good idea of what you want next to take your listening to the next level. Just be warned...this is a very addictive and potentially expensive path you're starting down.

Welcome to the club!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Moss54 said:

Likely has enough power, but look for a newer model that has built in DACs as you want to use your computer as a source. 

• Like 1

I'm kind of getting a feel for what I'm looking for. I feel drawn to the Marantz. And yes I guess with DACs and preferably Phono but no essentially. Another thing I have become aware of is maybe I want a bit more amps per channel. Like 50+ The ones I found before were 30amps per chanel for 8 OHM

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 1:00 PM, Moss54 said:

I'm aware that this is a forum for enthusiasts and I understand that cheap options may not be of interest but I have spent a lot of time and money so far and would like to enjoy the speakers while I save for a more quality setup.

A lot of us are cheap! Do you have a preamp of any kind? I've been using a used Crown D-45 for a couple of years. It replaced a pricey pair of tube monoblocks. I have used it on La Scalas, Heresy IIs, large MWM cabinets (2 15" woofers in each).

The amp is 20-30 watts. Seriously, with the Belle style cabinet, you won't need much power.

Would love to see those cabs in person. The pic probably doesn't show how nice spalted veneer can appear.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Moss54 said:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/amplifiers/marantz-pm7200-amplifier-audiophile-stereo-phono/1423397562

I am thinking that this one seems to have really great reviews and I like the specs. The only thing missing is the DAC. Is it possible to just buy an external DAC? Could that work?

Yes you could. Would try it without an external DAC at first as likely not necessary for good sound. DACs are likely cheap enough there. A 7500 I used worked well.

• Like 1