General use Amp for self built Belle / Scala suggestions?

Moss54

4 hours ago, Moss54 said:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/amplifiers/marantz-pm7200-amplifier-audiophile-stereo-phono/1423397562

I am thinking that this one seems to have really great reviews and I like the specs. The only thing missing is the DAC. Is it possible to just buy an external DAC? Could that work?

Yes, you can buy an external DAC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

A lot of us are cheap! Do you have a preamp of any kind? I've been using a used Crown D-45 for a couple of years. It replaced a pricey pair of tube monoblocks. I have used it on La Scalas, Heresy IIs, large MWM cabinets (2 15" woofers in each).

The amp is 20-30 watts. Seriously, with the Belle style cabinet, you won't need much power.

Would love to see those cabs in person. The pic probably doesn't show how nice spalted veneer can appear.

That's interesting that you say 20 - 30watts is enough. I guess I made the walls out of double 18mm birch ply. I suppose it would be louder with more but not necessarily clearer.

Crown looks great, but here in the UK is still slightly out of my budget. 🤣

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, babadono said:

Yes Sir.

Which midrange horn are you using on your "clones"? Saw your list of components but don't think I saw a horn. Sorry if i missed it.

Oh yea, I made these too. I made a Tractrix (Bruce Edgar) horn from 18mm birch ply and 4mm bendy ply. I bought a plastic adapter to fit the drivers to the end

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moss54 said:

Would love to see those cabs in person. The pic probably doesn't show how nice spalted veneer can appear.

Yes it is really beautiful. The veneers themselves were very old. I decided to go for quite a matt finish in the end so in real life they appear quite subtle. 

• Like 1

In London there have to be a few vintage hi-fi shops, where you can find a selection of older gear in good or better condition, with at least some kind of warranty.  If it's a good shop, they'll also be happy to give you some helpful advice on what will come closest to meeting your needs.  This can have advantages over buying from private sellers.

While it's possible to do everything online these days, that's not always the best way to go.  Being able to see, and more importantly hear, what you like before you buy it is the way to be satisfied with what you get.  Have a look around, and you may even find a shop not far from your neighbourhood.  Once you get to know the staff, and they know that you're on an upgrade path and will come back later with more money if you're treated right, you may get pretty good service.

Also, many hi-fi shops, even dealers in new high-end equipment, have a used/secondhand department, with a selection that changes over time.  If they don't have anything that interests you, check back in a month or two, and see what has come in.  If you're not too terribly cheap, they might even take your phone number and let you know when something suitable for your needs has come in.  When you're looking for bargains, networking is key.

For that matter, there must be hi-fi clubs in London.  They may be similar to this Forum, in which members are often buying and selling gear, and sharing info about what's good and what's not, both in gear and in shops.  Facebook is one place to start, plus some clubs have their own websites.  With very small clubs, like under a hundred members, it won't be very lively, unlike this Forum, which has thousands of members.  That's okay.  You can join a few clubs without spending all your time on their sites.

'Nuff said!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Moss54 said:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/amplifiers/marantz-pm7200-amplifier-audiophile-stereo-phono/1423397562

I am thinking that this one seems to have really great reviews and I like the specs. The only thing missing is the DAC. Is it possible to just buy an external DAC? Could that work?

In the USA, multi channel receivers with phono and DACs are plentiful.  I would set my sites on something like that if you are on a budget.  Say Denon, Marantz or Yamaha.  One of these will hold you over for years and you can even run surround with an optical out from your TV if you like.  Most have a few optical inputs. 

That Panasonic SA XR 57 is a gem.  Search it here. 

Here is a thread, I did not read it

10 minutes ago, babadono said:

Made your own tractrix....COOL

Uh, pics please!

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 11:10 AM, Moss54 said:

Thanks for this you make a very good point, I will pursue this. Despite being fun, internet research is bottomless. 

BTW the horn on your scala looks incredible, is it for mids or tweeter?

You're welcome, and you're right, you can spend endless time online, to the point where you're spending your music time with your attention focussed online instead.   I have a hypothesis that humans aren't yet accustomed to the kind of stimulation provided by computer screens, so it's far too easy to become obsessed with them, and neglect more traditional and often more healthy forms of pleasure, like listening to music (not music videos!), and many other things.

Those horns on my La Scala IIs are the K402 horns from the Jubilee.  They are the tweeters, and cover both the mid and treble range.  This is made possible by using the K-691 or older K-69-A wide-range compression drivers, which are usable from around 400 Hz to around 19 kHz.  This allows the La Scalas (sometimes called JubScalas in this configuration) and Jubilees to be 2-way speakers, as the original Klipschorns were.  By going 2-way instead of 3-way, one transition point is eliminated, which reduces distortion.  As well, this is a bi-amped arrangement, with separate amplifier channels for bass and treble.  This reduces harmonic distortion, since each amplifier channel carries only half the audio spectrum.

Finally, instead of using a passive crossover, this setup uses an active electronic crossover, which not only allows for much more accurate correction of peaks and dips in the frequency response, it also allows for time alignment, with sounds from the shorter treble horn being delayed by a precise number of milliseconds, to match the timing of the sounds from the bass horn, for a more integrated and realistic sound.

As you spend time here, you'll hear lots about the Jubilees.  The older Pro Theater models were relatively affordable, but the new Jubilee is for those folks in higher than average tax brackets, unfortunately.  However, a number of Forum members have the earlier models, and a few members have ordered The Jubilee, as the new and apparently ultimate version is called, so we'll begin to hear about them, once production starts and deliveries happen.

The JubScala is a smaller and less expensive brother to the Jubilee, but if it's done right, it's not all that much less expensive than the big boy, plus as a home-assembled outfit, it doesn't come directly from Klipsch, and thus has no warranty or other similar benefits.

Stay tuned, and you'll learn about all kinds of marvels, like the MWM, the Magnificent Woofing Machine.  Seriously.

Finally, as I tell everyone, save now for listening pleasure later.  If something you desire (we're classy around here.  We don't just wanna have better gear, we desire it, lol.) doesn't fit your budget, keep putting money into your hi-fi account until it does.  Happy listening!

• Like 2