Should I try this $275 folded horn sub with my La Scala?

Orbit

Hello,

This sub is under 30 minutes from me and under $300.

Just picked up my La Scalas Sunday and would like to experience a sub with them.  I was wondering if anyone might lend a knee jerk reaction to this thing.  I could ask a few questions before going out to see it.

Thank you

Screenshot_20220202-100240.png

Edited by Orbit
Removed hyperlink to sale listing at sellers request.
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, jason str said:

The cabinet looks too small to make much of a horn from a 18" driver.

If you can get more info or what design it's based from could be of help.

Seller said it is 36x36x24 and based on CV horn subs.  Used first for music in a 4 way setup.  I don't think it will fit the bill.  I appreciate the sets of eyes to confirm there is no jackpot present here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Seller said it is 36x36x24 and based on CV horn subs.  Used first for music in a 4 way setup.  I don't think it will fit the bill.  I appreciate the sets of eyes to confirm there is no jackpot present here.

I disagree, it will fit the bill very well for MUSIC. A sub that size with an 18 can be flat to 30 hz. with little EQ on the bottom and is a STEAL of a price. It adds almost 2 octaves of REAL, Low Distortion BASS to LSs. The lumber is worth the asking price for gosh sakes. Plus it won't need much power as it's pretty close to a LaScala in sensitivity. Stick it between 2 LaScalas with a good Sub Plate amp from Parts Express and rock you brains out!!!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I disagree, it will fit the bill very well for MUSIC. A sub that size with an 18 can be flat to 30 hz. with little EQ on the bottom and is a STEAL of a price. It adds almost 2 octaves of REAL, Low Distortion BASS to LSs. The lumber is worth the asking price for gosh sakes. Plus it won't need much power as it's pretty close to a LaScala in sensitivity. Stick it between 2 LaScalas with a good Sub Plate amp from Parts Express and rock you brains out!!!

Well shoot now I am hopeful again.  Not driving in this blizzard hopeful but I think I will check it out.  I see you must be caught in this too.  I am in Jackson.  I'm not looking to go crazy low just enough to enjoy Bob Marley's Exodus properly.  Any recs on which plate amp?  Thanks man 

8 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Well shoot now I am hopeful again.  Not driving in this blizzard hopeful but I think I will check it out.  I see you must be caught in this too.  I am in Jackson.  I'm not looking to go crazy low just enough to enjoy Bob Marley's Exodus properly.  Any recs on which plate amp?  Thanks man 

I just made Brian an offer. You better hurry if you want to beat me to it. I have a 1.5 hr. drive.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Well shoot.  Guess I should not have put this up here.  I am at home with a fever.

I was trying to help you make the best move in Subs. I don't need another sub. Mine are better anyhow, no brag, just fact.

Do you want it or not? It's yours if you want it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Orbit said:

Oh right on man.  I am definitely going check it out.  I have a fever (testing negative for Covid).   I was trying to see it in a day or two.

So you took my advice about changing your mind. Take your time. I won't step in unless you step out of the potential deal.

• Like 1

Just now, ClaudeJ1 said:

So you took my advice about changing your mind. Take your time. I won't step in unless you step out of the potential deal.

Yes I did.  I have been messaging with the seller.  Nice guy.  Now I just need an amp that can supply enough juice and a way to split the signals out of my receiver.  Thanks man

My brother who lives in Hawaii keeps an eye out for subs for sale and rarely finds anything.  I told him to look for a Cerwin Vega 36 for cheap and sent him this vid.  They could be fun and will definitely handle some Marley.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orbit said:

As far as placement can I put the sub on a 4 wheel dolly to demo and move or will that ruin the sound?  

Thank you

I know for my THT it is recommended to have the mouth of the horn firing into the wall behind it, sitting about 18" from the wall.  I think placement like that would be more important than having it sit a couple inches off the floor.