Should I try this $275 folded horn sub with my La Scala?

Orbit

Having a difficult time figuring out how to feed signal and power this thing.  

My receiver is a vintage Sansui g-3500.  No preamp outs.  I have the outs for the B set of speakers.  Not sure how I would connect to something like this.  https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-SPA500DSP-500W-Subwoofer-Plate-Amplifier-with-DSP-300-8012

Any input or direction is appreciated.  

4 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Having a difficult time figuring out how to feed signal and power this thing.  

My receiver is a vintage Sansui g-3500.  No preamp outs.  I have the outs for the B set of speakers.  Not sure how I would connect to something like this.  https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-SPA500DSP-500W-Subwoofer-Plate-Amplifier-with-DSP-300-8012

Any input or direction is appreciated.  

You can use this to add a subwoofer output. Worked great for me to add a sub out to a tube amp.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_543ADP12/Russound-ADP-1-2-Speaker-level-to-Line-level-Adapter.html

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tromprof said:

You can use this to add a subwoofer output. Worked great for me to add a sub out to a tube amp.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_543ADP12/Russound-ADP-1-2-Speaker-level-to-Line-level-Adapter.html

Thank you.  I now also realize the amp has a hi input switch.  I could use speaker cable with a 1/4" TS end to get signal in.  If it distorts I could use the converter you posted.  Do I need to run both left and right channels from my B set out in either situation?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orbit said:

I now also realize the amp has a hi input switch. 

I don't think they mean Speaker Level when they spec high level input. Don't blow it up. If all you have as outputs are speaker level you need the converter. And yes you need both channels. The input on the plate amp will sum them for a mono bass signal.

2 hours ago, babadono said:

I don't think they mean Speaker Level when they spec high level input. Don't blow it up. If all you have as outputs are speaker level you need the converter. And yes you need both channels. The input on the plate amp will sum them for a mono bass signal.

I found this video from PS audio.  He suggests jumpering the sub from the speakers into the high input.  If I bought the amp I could first measure the Ohms when in high input mode.  Maybe I could check the Ohms on the high level input first to tell me if I need to add the converter.

13 hours ago, Orbit said:

I found this video from PS audio.  He suggests jumpering the sub from the speakers into the high input.  If I bought the amp I could first measure the Ohms when in high input mode.  Maybe I could check the Ohms on the high level input first to tell me if I need to add the converter.

When Mr. PS Audio says "high level inputs on your subwoofer" he means speaker level. You will probably not be able to get a correct reading of the input impedance by simply measuring with a meter. It depends on the circuit topology which we don't know. Someone asked the same question on the PE website that you posted and PE's response was no this is not for speaker level input.

39 minutes ago, babadono said:

When Mr. PS Audio says "high level inputs on your subwoofer" he means speaker level. You will probably not be able to get a correct reading of the input impedance by simply measuring with a meter. It depends on the circuit topology which we don't know. Someone asked the same question on the PE website that you posted and PE's response was no this is not for speaker level input.

Right on.  Probably best to be safe with the $20 converter to the RCA.  I should have the converter nearest the sub/amp for best signal transmission correct?

Thank you,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orbit said:

Right on.  Probably best to be safe with the $20 converter to the RCA.  I should have the converter nearest the sub/amp for best signal transmission correct?

Thank you,

Yes the level converter should be as close as possible to the sub amp inputs with the shortest cable that is practical.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:05 PM, babadono said:

Could something like this be used instead of a plate amp?

https://www.amazon.com/OSD-Audio-Mono-Channel-Subwoofer-Amplifier/dp/B07F94FSLF

On 2/2/2022 at 6:01 PM, babadono said:

It will definitely add some low end punch to La Scala bass. If it is for music why not give 'em a spin. And i say don't crossover the La Scalas. Let them play full range and only limit how high the sub goes. At least try it that way.

Agreed! Absolutely do not high pass filter your LS! Just let the new sub fill in where the LS falls off. Probably 40-50hz. 

39 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Well it all works.  Passes the Exodus test well and I am happy.  Using a Dayton SA1000 to power it.  Definitely overpowered for the job but I wanted lots of clean headroom.  Thanks guys

Awesome!  If you're up to it, I would highly suggest calibrating it with a miniDSP/UMIK/REW.  You'll be able to see how the sub interacts with your room and make adjustments in peaks and nulls.

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

Awesome!  If you're up to it, I would highly suggest calibrating it with a miniDSP/UMIK/REW.  You'll be able to see how the sub interacts with your room and make adjustments in peaks and nulls.

I will have to look into this.  Not sure if the amp I have is capable of that or does it require something else in the signal chain?

25 minutes ago, Orbit said:

The 2x4HD is much better and includes all the software needed for calibration.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 11:51 PM, CoryGillmore said:

Agreed! Absolutely do not high pass filter your LS! Just let the new sub fill in where the LS falls off. Probably 40-50hz. 

More like 80 Hz., since below 104 Hz. the LaScala is not a short horn but, gradually, as you go lower and lower, it's a direct radiator firing into a really tight "corner".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

More like 80 Hz., since below 104 Hz. the LaScala is not a short horn but, gradually, as you go lower and lower, it's a direct radiator firing into a really tight "corner".

@ClaudeJ1, just trying to learn ...

If the La Scala starts to drop off at 104 Hz, why wouldn't one want to set the cross-over around there (100 Hz - 110 Hz) while running the La Scala "full out" (without a high pass filter)? Not knowing any better, it would seem to me that doing so would let the sub would fill in from where the LS weakens. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave MacKay said:

@ClaudeJ1, just trying to learn ...

If the La Scala starts to drop off at 104 Hz, why wouldn't one want to set the cross-over around there (100 Hz - 110 Hz) while running the La Scala "full out" (without a high pass filter)? Not knowing any better, it would seem to me that doing so would let the sub would fill in from where the LS weakens. 

The Horn LENGTH calculates to 104 Hz. but it still has ouput below horn cutoff, so 80 Hz. works well. Espcially since it's the threshold of subwoofer location detection according to the AES people.

• Thanks 1