Serious Speakers

Defacto

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I had a pair of the SDA SRS. I wish that I  still had them, sometimes.  

I remember being invited to an Audio King store in the Twin Cities to listen to those.  They were set up in a dedicated room that seated about 30 people and it was packed.  My best friend and I went.  They played demo scenes from a few different movies.  It was pretty wild.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

Those of course, are the VMPS Super Tower 2's.  👍

https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/486vmps/index.html

Descrption: 6-way floorstanding loudspeaker. Drive-units (each speaker): one 15" polypropylene-cone subwoofer with 15" passive radiator, one 12", polypropylene-cone low-bass, two 12", polypropylene-cone midbass, four 5" polypropylene-cone midrange drivers, four 1" inverted-dome tweeters, one ribbon supertweeter. Crossover frequencies: 80Hz, 200Hz, 600Hz, 5kHz, and 15kHz. Frequency range: 17Hz–30kHz. Sensitivity: 100dB. Maximum undistorted output: 130dB. THD at 1W in: 0.25%. Impedance: 6 ohms.
Dimensions: 76" H by 17" W by 21.5" D. Weight: 230 lbs each.
Price: $3000–$3500/pair assembled, $2200–$2600 in kit form (1986); $3876/pair assembled, $2998/pair in kit form (1988); no longer available (2008). Approximate number of dealers: 16.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StevePaul said:

sansui.JPG.38c32bce8bff67aa8e2a71ebc7fb9a3f.JPG

Reminds me of a review of a pair of Sansui speakers from the early-80's. The reviewer noted:  "At least you get a lot of hardward for the money"....which was their highest praise for anything about the set. :)

I heard one of these not too long ago, a friend of mine was selling a pair because he moved to a smaller place.

They sounded not as bad as many are trying to imply.

• Like 1