Serious Speakers

Defacto

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine is a drummer in a local band, their keyboardist made their PA system arrays consisting of many small drivers. Sort of looks like a wall of sound behind them, they are in plywood badly painted in faded paint. They were hired to do the last 4th of July Party at a private Lake community beach, many people commented on the sound of the band. I don't get to see them play live very often but every time I am amazed at how well the home made PA system sounds with the array of tiny drivers. Far better than your average pro audio 2 way speakers up on stands left/right of the stage. They guy was a genius how he had it all hooked up, the imaging of the instruments and vocals along with the clarity was just perfect.

Moral of the story is don't judge a book by it's cover, when I first saw the setup I half chuckled to myself before they started playing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, captainbeefheart said:

A friend of mine is a drummer in a local band, their keyboardist made their PA system arrays consisting of many small drivers. Sort of looks like a wall of sound behind them, they are in plywood badly painted in faded paint. They were hired to do the last 4th of July Party at a private Lake community beach, many people commented on the sound of the band. I don't get to see them play live very often but every time I am amazed at how well the home made PA system sounds with the array of tiny drivers. Far better than your average pro audio 2 way speakers up on stands left/right of the stage. They guy was a genius how he had it all hooked up, the imaging of the instruments and vocals along with the clarity was just perfect.

Moral of the story is don't judge a book by it's cover, when I first saw the setup I half chuckled to myself before they started playing.

That was how the Dead's giant PA worked. It was just too complex to keep it going. And Owsley was probably making more money by producing LSD.

• Haha 2