I presume dbx BX-3 amp needs serviced....anyone here qualified/interested?

Coytee

I don't use my LaScalas too often (as rear speakers).  I then noticed a bit of a muffled sound coming from one of them.  Other seemed ok, relative to the muffled one.  I just "knew" that my 1979 woofer had finally rotted away or been eaten by a mouse.  Pulled bottom of speaker off and driver appears to be intact.

Hmmm....  I yank the dbx amp out and move a Crown K2 into its place.  Speaker sounds totally fine and dandy.

Bingo.

I've got no idea what's in this thing.  It is a configurable amp, capable of going from 2 or 3 or 4 channels.  When in 4 channel I think it's rated around 100 watts/channel.  3 channel might be something like 2x200 and 1x100 (I honestly forget) and then 2-channel is maybe 300 watts/channel (again, I forget)

Point being, this is not an every day 2-channel amp if that matters.

I'm reading on the tube forum what some of the guys are doing (I'm guessing they're EE's???) so thought I'd throw this out in case someone has an interest in delving into it.

Since I don't use my rear channels too often, I'm in no rush.  I've even debated on simply buying another amp and moving on.  (this amp was nice to have when I was using it in 4-channel mode to biamp the Jubilee's)

I've owned two BX-3 amps, starting in the late '80s when home theater was the coming thing. I sold one, the one I kept developed a problem in one channel that was caused by the relays. Playing with the speaker select pushbutton switches would clear it up. Mice chewed the wiring in it when I had it apart in the garage, so it went to a junk hauler when I moved.

I miss the CX-3 MkII preamp, I should have kept it.

• Like 1