I added subs to my Cornwall IVs and fell in love all over again

CoryGillmore

So I used these speakers for about 8 months and got used to them and told myself I didn't even need a sub. Mostly because I felt the subs I already had weren't up to the task. I have 2 R-12SW Klipsch subs I used for home theater for years. But I finally integrated them into my 2-channel setup and I integrated them in a way so that they're only picking up where the Cornwalls fall off. I have them at their lowest crossover setting (40hz) and I'm still running my speakers full range, as you should, IMO.

The detailed, fast and textured bass of the Cornwalls still shines through but now they just reach a little lower and are more impactful. On most songs the subs aren't even doing anything. And on the songs that do call upon them they aren't bringing any attention to themselves. They're perfectly integrated, IMO. 

This revelation in sound has me looking at upgrading my subs. I've been looking at a pair of REL T9/x subs. I'd run them on their high-level inputs right off the speaker taps on the CWIVs.

Aside from that I'm still impressed how well I was able to integrate these $200 subs into my system. 

Anyway, I just wanted to share that experience. Not really looking for suggestions or advice or anything lol. 

• Like 8

20 hours ago, CoryGillmore said:

So I used these speakers for about 8 months and got used to them and told myself I didn't even need a sub. Mostly because I felt the subs I already had weren't up to the task. I have 2 R-12SW Klipsch subs I used for home theater for years. But I finally integrated them into my 2-channel setup and I integrated them in a way so that they're only picking up where the Cornwalls fall off. I have them at their lowest crossover setting (40hz) and I'm still running my speakers full range, as you should, IMO.

The detailed, fast and textured bass of the Cornwalls still shines through but now they just reach a little lower and are more impactful. On most songs the subs aren't even doing anything. And on the songs that do call upon them they aren't bringing any attention to themselves. They're perfectly integrated, IMO. 

This revelation in sound has me looking at upgrading my subs. I've been looking at a pair of REL T9/x subs. I'd run them on their high-level inputs right off the speaker taps on the CWIVs.

Aside from that I'm still impressed how well I was able to integrate these $200 subs into my system. 

Anyway, I just wanted to share that experience. Not really looking for suggestions or advice or anything lol. 

Been saying for YEARS now, that ALL speakers need subs. Unless, of course, they have subs built into the box, like many non Klipsch Designs, except for the new Jubilee, of course.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Been saying for YEARS now, that ALL speakers need subs. Unless, of course, they have subs built into the box, like many non Klipsch Designs, except for the new Jubilee, of course.

I should also point out that my subs cross at 40 Hz., which I suspect is the case with using subs for Cornwalls, which are flat to 40 Hz. (even dig down to 30 without subs). Cory is right about subs being well integrated when they don't seem to be doing a darn thing until called upon to so with Extremely LOW bass, called SUB bass, DUH!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I should also point out that my subs cross at 40 Hz., which I suspect is the case with using subs for Cornwalls, which are flat to 40 Hz. (even dig down to 30 without subs). Cory is right about subs being well integrated when they don't seem to be doing a darn thing until called upon to so with Extremely LOW bass, called SUB bass, DUH!!

Keep on saying it. Thinking subs will catch on one day.

• Haha 3

I agree.....and I've been saying for years now that all speakers benefit from a sub that is properly integrated. Period. If it's not dialed in right, it's a mess and so many people trash the use of subwoofers for this reason.

A decent sub properly integrated can sound good. A very good sub properly integrated can take your system to another level.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

agree with using subs for 99% of speakers out there, klipsch or other brand.  

the fact that you heard an improvement to big cornwalls with even cheap subs just goes to show that even "big boy" speakers can benefit from using subs, even smaller ones.  majority of speakers fall off after 40hz or maybe upper 30hz, decent subs play down into the 20's or even teens & will add that missing lower octave for most music & especially movies.  i have chorus 2 & have owned countless other large klipsch & other brands,  they all benefit from subs, even smaller ones.  you dont "need" huge subs or horn loaded subs as some insist to increase the performance of most speakers, especially heresy or lascala that are definitely lacking on lower bass. 

depending on your budget, i would suggest looking into SVS for all their benefits from cust service to warranty to free in home trials & upgrade program, even their entry level subs are as good or far better than your $200 klipsch sub.  the mid range 2000/3000 SVS subs are top rated & will be all many/most people will ever need for music/movies on the average mid-fi system in a small to medium sized room.  i have dual SVS SB2000 in a 21x15 room & they are barely set at half of max volume with excellent performance.  yes there are better/bigger/way more expensive subs or even good deals for DIY subs, but if youre happy with those klipsch subs, you will be amazed at others a little higher up the food chain.    

• Like 2

On 2/9/2022 at 10:28 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

agree with using subs for 99% of speakers out there, klipsch or other brand.  

the fact that you heard an improvement to big cornwalls with even cheap subs just goes to show that even "big boy" speakers can benefit from using subs, even smaller ones.  majority of speakers fall off after 40hz or maybe upper 30hz, decent subs play down into the 20's or even teens & will add that missing lower octave for most music & especially movies.  i have chorus 2 & have owned countless other large klipsch & other brands,  they all benefit from subs, even smaller ones.  you dont "need" huge subs or horn loaded subs as some insist to increase the performance of most speakers, especially heresy or lascala that are definitely lacking on lower bass. 

depending on your budget, i would suggest looking into SVS for all their benefits from cust service to warranty to free in home trials & upgrade program, even their entry level subs are as good or far better than your $200 klipsch sub.  the mid range 2000/3000 SVS subs are top rated & will be all many/most people will ever need for music/movies on the average mid-fi system in a small to medium sized room.  i have dual SVS SB2000 in a 21x15 room & they are barely set at half of max volume with excellent performance.  yes there are better/bigger/way more expensive subs or even good deals for DIY subs, but if youre happy with those klipsch subs, you will be amazed at others a little higher up the food chain.    

I've got my sights set on a pair of REL T9/x subs. I don't know why but I've always just kinda turned my nose up at SVS. I just feel like everyone buys a damn SVS lol. 

7 hours ago, CoryGillmore said:

I've got my sights set on a pair of REL T9/x subs. I don't know why but I've always just kinda turned my nose up at SVS. I just feel like everyone buys a damn SVS lol. 

I see that SVS has also bumped their prices up a bit making them a little less competitive there is  lot of good competition out there in just about every price range. I did a quick search on the REL T9 sub and spec on their webpage states -6db point at 27hz-- those subs may not perceivably play much lower than the Cornwalls and at $1500 each there are a ton of highly regarded subs out there from half the price or less. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CoryGillmore said:

I've got my sights set on a pair of REL T9/x subs.

Yeah not to bust your chops here and it is your money but $3k for a pair of subs crossed over at 40hz with a -6db point at 27hz is an awful lot of money to pay for less than a 10hz lower extension of your mains.   

• Like 4

everyone has their favorite brands & reasons for liking them... but SVS has some very nice subs & in that price range of $1500 i think their $1500 comparable sub is easily as good if not better in performance alone, but will REL refund your money if youre not happy?  or allow full value trade in to upgrade?? or let you transfer the warranty to a new owner if you sell it after a couple years?  all those things are huge benefits that have value when buying a new sub. 

turning your nose up at SVS is fine if justified... but theres a reason why "everyone buys a damn SVS" they are very good performing subs for any given price point & have a lot more benefits than any other sub brand out there.  

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 8:45 AM, jjptkd said:

Yeah not to bust your chops here and it is your money but $3k for a pair of subs crossed over at 40hz with a -6db point at 27hz is an awful lot of money to pay for less than a 10hz lower extension of your mains.   

I agree. This is why I got one of the last pairs of available TCsounds 12", 38 pound, sub drivers originally $500 each, but got both for less than $600 on close-out about 5 years ago. I have since designed a Tapped Horn, similar to and inspired by the Danley DTS-10's I used to own. Since those drivers we tried and measured i a DTS-10 by Josh Ricci of Data-Bass and put out twice as much as the Danley Proprietary drivers, I will have the same output in a single TH as I did when I had 2 DTS-10's. Since I have Crown K2's, power will not be a problem, it's still a HORN, after all, tapped, but still a horn!

Should be flat to 13 Hz. It will be the last subwoofer I build. Any further development in this directions will be way overkill, which, according to some people that heard my system of 3 years ago, I'm already OVERKILL in the Sub department, so it will be a lower priority than my other sub projects.

• Like 1