Jump to content

I added subs to my Cornwall IVs and fell in love all over again


CoryGillmore
 Share

Recommended Posts

the whole horn loaded sub tangent or comparing a suggested brand or type of sub to another this thread & others like it turn into would be like if a member asked for advice on buying some heresys & stated he doesnt have room, budget or need for bigger speakers.  then gets a bunch of replies saying you dont want heresys because they are small & sealed etc... you need K-horns or jubilees or nothing else because they are horn loaded, heresys wont have any impact unless they are stacked to the ceiling.  then people start talking about how a driver works or what the proper terminology is for a woofer vs driver etc etc. 

 

it becomes completely off topic & unrelated to what the member asked about kinda like how the OP here wanted to mentioned he was surprised & happy with what a couple of the cheapest small klipsch subs did for his cornwalls. yet after 7 pages of posts 9 out of 10 replies werent even related to his post.  nothing wrong with conversation but sometimes forum threads get so far off track it becomes counter productive.  stay on topic or start another thread to discuss other things.   

 

to the OP, please update this to let us know what you decided to go with for new subs... or start another thread.  ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

the whole horn loaded sub tangent or comparing a suggested brand or type of sub to another this thread & others like it turn into would be like if a member asked for advice on buying some heresys & stated he doesnt have room, budget or need for bigger speakers.  then gets a bunch of replies saying you dont want heresys because they are small & sealed etc... you need K-horns or jubilees or nothing else because they are horn loaded, heresys wont have any impact unless they are stacked to the ceiling.  then people start talking about how a driver works or what the proper terminology is for a woofer vs driver etc etc. 

 

it becomes completely off topic & unrelated to what the member asked about kinda like how the OP here wanted to mentioned he was surprised & happy with what a couple of the cheapest small klipsch subs did for his cornwalls. yet after 7 pages of posts 9 out of 10 replies werent even related to his post.  nothing wrong with conversation but sometimes forum threads get so far off track it becomes counter productive.  stay on topic or start another thread to discuss other things.   

 

to the OP, please update this to let us know what you decided to go with for new subs... or start another thread.  ;)

And yet you completely ignored the FACTS I presented about the SMALL FOOTPRINT of the THTLP horn standing up, Now if you add the Footprints of 2 little subs, it's still going to be similar to the THTLP.

 

Good work. The topic was SUBS which I have said over and over that ALL speakers need one, ad infinitum since I got here in 2006 with my Klipschorns needing subs for home theater way back then. But hey why listen to a guy who has owned, designed, and built them all. After all, the fact remains that these are Quasi-religious discussions anyhow. Either way,  Opinions rule over magnitude response curves as witnessed by the thousands of opinions vs. very little DATA or experience to back them up. As and old wise bro once said: "Thangs be whut dey is."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

the whole horn loaded sub tangent or comparing a suggested brand or type of sub to another this thread & others like it turn into would be like if a member asked for advice on buying some heresys & stated he doesnt have room, budget or need for bigger speakers.  then gets a bunch of replies saying you dont want heresys because they are small & sealed etc... you need K-horns or jubilees or nothing else because they are horn loaded, heresys wont have any impact unless they are stacked to the ceiling.  then people start talking about how a driver works or what the proper terminology is for a woofer vs driver etc etc. 

 

it becomes completely off topic & unrelated to what the member asked about kinda like how the OP here wanted to mentioned he was surprised & happy with what a couple of the cheapest small klipsch subs did for his cornwalls. yet after 7 pages of posts 9 out of 10 replies werent even related to his post.  nothing wrong with conversation but sometimes forum threads get so far off track it becomes counter productive.  stay on topic or start another thread to discuss other things.   

 

to the OP, please update this to let us know what you decided to go with for new subs... or start another thread.  ;)

You can't stack Heresy like you can subs. Let's try and be of help instead of ranting on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

the whole horn loaded sub tangent or comparing a suggested brand or type of sub to another this thread & others like it turn into would be like if a member asked for advice on buying some heresys & stated he doesnt have room, budget or need for bigger speakers.  then gets a bunch of replies saying you dont want heresys because they are small & sealed etc... you need K-horns or jubilees or nothing else because they are horn loaded, heresys wont have any impact unless they are stacked to the ceiling.  then people start talking about how a driver works or what the proper terminology is for a woofer vs driver etc etc. 

 

it becomes completely off topic & unrelated to what the member asked about kinda like how the OP here wanted to mentioned he was surprised & happy with what a couple of the cheapest small klipsch subs did for his cornwalls. yet after 7 pages of posts 9 out of 10 replies werent even related to his post.  nothing wrong with conversation but sometimes forum threads get so far off track it becomes counter productive.  stay on topic or start another thread to discuss other things.   

 

to the OP, please update this to let us know what you decided to go with for new subs... or start another thread.  ;)

It always happens so I would not fret over it too much. This thread would have died out long time ago with just a few post if it had not deviated from original poster to some degree. The point is the OP probably got an answer to his question early on in this thread. Maybe someone learned something else from this thread which I would not say is a bad thing.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

And yet you completely ignored the FACTS I presented about the SMALL FOOTPRINT of the THTLP horn standing up, Now if you add the Footprints of 2 little subs, it's still going to be similar to the THTLP.

 

Good work. The topic was SUBS which I have said over and over that ALL speakers need one, ad infinitum since I got here in 2006 with my Klipschorns needing subs for home theater way back then. But hey why listen to a guy who has owned, designed, and built them all. After all, the fact remains that these are Quasi-religious discussions anyhow. Either way,  Opinions rule over magnitude response curves as witnessed by the thousands of opinions vs. very little DATA or experience to back them up. As and old wise bro once said: "Thangs be whut dey is."

 

didnt ignore anything or not listen to you... i said i agree with the points you & others made for horn subs, i was aware of horn subs & their benefits before this, even looked at some of the DIY ones people have mentioned but just wasnt practical for me at this time.  but this thread wasnt about horn subs, it turned into that when the comparison of horn subs of any size to the toy sub SVS thing started.  the topic was CHEAP SMALL SUBS MADE ME FALL IN LOVE, i didnt know the budget or level of upgrade desired so i suggested another small sub that could be had for less than $500ea on the used market. 

 

after that it took a left turn & went way off track, im usually only on here in the late mornings every few days & when i signed back in over the next day or 2 it became all this other stuff.  im sure the other info was helpful & people can learn something from it, i know i did.   my apologies if anything i posted contributed to that or was taken the wrong way, just trying to keep things on track & mention my experiences with smaller subs & bigger speakers like the OPs situation.  

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

 

it was a sarcastic comment... you know, like when you used it in regards to a suggestion of sealed subs. was that being of help or ranting on? 

Actually, everyone gained some benefit from your posts. No rants here. It's just "the usual." If it wasn't all a big hoot, why are we ever here, aye?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

 

it was a sarcastic comment... you know, like when you used it in regards to a suggestion of sealed subs. was that being of help or ranting on? 

That was no sarcastic comment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I turned those cheap Klispch subs off and fell in love with my Cornwall IVs all over again....lol

 

Even as well integrated as they are, they're still too slow and can't keep up with that quick and light paper woofer on the CWIVs. Everything is noticeably snappier. livelier and tighter with the subs turned off. 

 

For anything other than modern pop recordings, I don't think I'll use them much anymore. 

 

Still on the lookout for a small-ish footprint fast sub that can keep up with the CWIVs. REL T9/x pair is still at the top of my list after much research. Though the aforementioned SVS and Rythmik subs are also on my radar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 3/1/2022 at 7:58 PM, CoryGillmore said:

Still on the lookout for a small-ish footprint fast sub that can keep up with the CWIVs. REL T9/x pair is still at the top of my list after much research. Though the aforementioned SVS and Rythmik subs are also on my radar. 

 

Here's a sub that might suit your needs:  the Paradigm Seismic 110.  It's small, it goes very deep, and with its 850 watts RMS amplifier and fairly rigid 10" cone, it can keep up with La Scalas.  I've been running a pair of Seismic 110s between my modded La Scala IIs since 2020, and they were the possibly final touch to making the system completely full-range.

 

The Seismic 110 also has provisions to use the Paradigm Perfect Bass Kit (PBK), which includes a tripod and a calibrated microphone, plus a USB cable.  With the kit, the sub will put out a test tone which will let the software get some idea of the acoustics of your room.  During the test, you'll be prompted to move the microphone to 4 more locations.  They only need to be about 2 feet apart, so you can stay in the same place on your listening chair and just move the microphone.  That gives the software more data about your room and its contents, furniture, etc.  If you change the contents significantly, it's easy to redo the test.

 

Once you run the test, using a laptop, you'll see a curve that represents the frequency response of your room.  Then, the Paradigm software will set the sub to respond with the opposite curve, which will correct/cancel the dips and peaks in the room.  The difference is immediately audible.  I'm very happy with these subs, and how they help the La Scala IIs.  They should also be very helpful to your Cornwall IVs.

 

More info here:  https://www.paradigm.com/en/sealed/seismic-110

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2022 at 7:58 PM, CoryGillmore said:

I turned those cheap Klispch subs off and fell in love with my Cornwall IVs all over again....lol

 

Even as well integrated as they are, they're still too slow and can't keep up with that quick and light paper woofer on the CWIVs. Everything is noticeably snappier. livelier and tighter with the subs turned off. 

 

For anything other than modern pop recordings, I don't think I'll use them much anymore. 

 

Still on the lookout for a small-ish footprint fast sub that can keep up with the CWIVs. REL T9/x pair is still at the top of my list after much research. Though the aforementioned SVS and Rythmik subs are also on my radar. 

I replaced my 15” HSU sub with a REL s812 and the REL is an incredible upgrade for music and also great for HT. The REL s812 is fast and blends perfectly with my Forte IVs. It’s interesting that so many people on this forum have never heard RELs and yet they have such negative opinions of REL because they are not cheap nor the size of a large school bus. There are good reasons that people choose a good fast sub that can keep up with Klipsch main speakers speed.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2022 at 6:52 AM, Fido said:

I replaced my 15” HSU sub with a REL s812 and the REL is an incredible upgrade for music and also great for HT. The REL s812 is fast and blends perfectly with my Forte IVs. It’s interesting that so many people on this forum have never heard RELs and yet they have such negative opinions of REL because they are not cheap nor the size of a large school bus. There are good reasons that people choose a good fast sub that can keep up with Klipsch main speakers speed.

 

what part of OC are you in?

 

I lived in Irvine off culver blvd in woodbridge from about 1980, then lived in the hills of Orange/Tustin off Chapman and Cannon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Schu said:

 

what part of OC are you in?

 

I lived in Irvine off culver blvd in woodbridge from about 1980, then lived in the hills of Orange/Tustin off Chapman and Cannon.

I live just over a mile from the Dana Point Marina in San Juan Capistrano. We love it here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2022 at 6:52 AM, Fido said:

I replaced my 15” HSU sub with a REL s812 and the REL is an incredible upgrade for music and also great for HT. The REL s812 is fast and blends perfectly with my Forte IVs. It’s interesting that so many people on this forum have never heard RELs and yet they have such negative opinions of REL because they are not cheap nor the size of a large school bus. There are good reasons that people choose a good fast sub that can keep up with Klipsch main speakers speed.

 

Paul McGowan of PS Audio has a very high opinion of REL subs, and sometimes mentions them in his daily short videos.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...