Art Appreciation Thread - Post photos of your Art 🖼

Full Range

3 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Getting those angles all the same is not easy.

JJK

I forgot this was one area that I used power tools on this one.

I marked my sight lines and then taped my old Stanley bevel gauge on the line with a piece of scrap taped on to extend the blade.

Using a long drill bit it’s not too hard to keep the shaft of the bit parallel with the bevel gauge.

After the holes are drilled all the way through I go back with a tapered reamer which is a bit trickier to keep lined up.

The round tapered mortise creates a joint that gets tighter the more weight you put on it.

0853F315-551D-4EFB-91C9-FD9D00F1C0D3.thumb.jpeg.186c94087a5697dbc73f5564447473e8.jpeg

The joints are then back wedged from the top.

Everything gets a coat of glue before being hammered in place.

Once dry the wedges and protruding tops of the legs are trimmed flush.

I know I’ve got a good glue joint when the plane shavings hold together across the joint.

D45C002A-6F1E-4E9E-9ABA-12B70C627808.thumb.jpeg.8ad749e66014079e27d9c7a36fd83ed3.jpeg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Full Range said:

Sadly a lot of that knowledge base is being lost 

That's so very true today.  It's always refreshing when you can share something and it becomes a forever memory for your kids.

It's also a great thread, causing all of us to share a bit of what's important in our lives.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it's always nice looking at everyone else's "art."  Art comes in many forms and it's nice to see everyone sharing it.

Nice photo story @Invidiosulus!  Enjoyed it.  The pic w/her holding her finished work is the icing on the cake.  Winner, winner   Chicken dinner!  Thanks brother!

• Like 3

Not very artistic myself, but sometimes I do my part, or simply make it physically possible for other collaborators to do their part. There are often great foundations that come before the real artists show up and create the final forms of the wonderous sensory experiences that we enjoy so much. Some of life's greatest art comes as a result of great collaborations. I get to play a role in what remains after I am gone. Seemed like a good enough thread to post just a few of the more artistic shots from projects I've worked on so you can now ponder on them too.

epic_5.jpg

epic-deep-space01-1.jpg

art.jpg

bridge 2.jpg

bridge 3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Full Range said:

@314carpenter 

Nice work 

Are you a structural engineer? 

One of the clients that I service is KBR and they do huge projects 

No, but the clues to my identity are not very well hidden here. 👷‍♂️ LOL.  I've had my hands all over what you see in my post, and taken pics, so I guess I feel a claim to saying the architectural artwork is at least partially my own work. So have many others, and all of those who came before, and after, who had the incredible knowledge, fantastic ideas, and most importantly the unfathomable pocket books to make what I do possible. Would you like to see of these posted here later? I can try to find better photography for other similar examples of what I'm calling art here. Maybe I'm stretching too far? Either way, I'm looking forward to more of your posts here. Thanks for creating this thread BTW. I think it's a very important topic.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

No, but the clues to my identity are not very well hidden here. LOL 👷‍♂️ . I have had my hands all over what you see in my post. Would you like to see more later?

I’m from Australia so the only thing that shouts out to me is your Avatar 🤘

As to posting more - It’s a free country you can post the more artistic photos 

As a mechanical engineer myself - I see structures as works of art 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just love folks who can put electronics into beautiful cabinets. These aren't mine, although I would love the Auditronics mic preamps in the smaller cabinet.  His woodworking is superb.

www.gruningaudioworks.com

chris-cab-small1.gif

My-Mixer-small.jpg

• Like 4