Went heritage speaker shopping yesterday . . .

blue360cuda

Excellent write up from the OP.

Relocating the LaScala's will not get you lower bass notes, just increased bass level. The solution is a subwoofer, but one that keeps up with a LaScala will be big and expensive.

Sounds like the Forte's would be your sweetspot.

But, definitely try the Cornwalls first. Heresies should be listened to of course, but you'll find them lacking in the low end as well when compared to the Forte's. Add a subwoofer to the Heresies and you may be happy.

Adding a subwoofer adds mild clutter and complication, but is a solution for many that don't have the room for larger speakers.

So definitely check out Cornwalls and see how they compare to the Forte's, both low end and physical fit.

Ah, but those LaScala's...😀

• Like 2

4 different speaker designs

Closed cabinet, infinite baffle ported, passive radiator ported, fully horn loaded

Each design has trade offs

No speaker is better than every other speaker at everything

Any of the 4 you will be very happy

2 Heresys on coffee tables, plus a front fire sub-s sound great etc......

5 Heresy 5.2 system is a world beater

The LaScala delivers the best human voice reproduction in the Industry

it's weak spot below 50Hz is remedied with a decent front firing sub-s

For the music I listen to, the Sub is off most of the time.

If you like to hear the Angels singing, LaScala is the clear choice

The best sleeper in the Industry is the Forte

If rock is your vice, look no furthur

• Like 4

I have heard everything in current Klipsch heritage lineup except the Klipschorn AL6. For my ears, the mids and highs were all pretty similar - letting the size of the listening room steer you is not a bad move - sitting in sweet spot should be a great and similarly voiced experience with anything you choose. OR you could listen to them and let your bass preferences guide you. Bass is where I heard the most difference. I will vouch for the Cornwall IVs. I really enjoy them. Good luck on your speaker hunt!

78067636-564E-4707-9CBB-195DC8A64471.jpeg

• Like 4

I'm a huge La Scala fan, and I like bass.  I just can't get rid of these speakers because they sound "big" all the time.  That said, I have never had a speaker that I didn't have a subwoofer for, so I just got a bigger subwoofer for my La Scalas.  In my room, I only needed one.  Sure, I could crank the La Scalas up high enough that the sub can't keep up, but that puts me at listening levels to where I can't stand to be in my room.

51487431706_032c37b4ae_h.jpg

• Like 3

• Klipsch Employees
7 hours ago, salbake said:

I have heard everything in current Klipsch heritage lineup except the Klipschorn AL6. For my ears, the mids and highs were all pretty similar - letting the size of the listening room steer you is not a bad move - sitting in sweet spot should be a great and similarly voiced experience with anything you choose. OR you could listen to them and let your bass preferences guide you. Bass is where I heard the most difference. I will vouch for the Cornwall IVs. I really enjoy them. Good luck on your speaker hunt!

78067636-564E-4707-9CBB-195DC8A64471.jpeg

Just wanted to offer some advice…..those socks can really smear imaging and placement…….

• Haha 10

7 hours ago, jason str said:

You don't want your sub to just try and keep up you need to have that effortless sound play right along at any level. Those mains are coasting on a watt or two while your sub is flopping away near limits.

I really don't need 130dB of "effortless subwoofer" in my room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, just got back from spinning a stack of my vinyl on some Cornwalls and comparing to the Forte's.  No La Scalas at this place. . . 

Honestly, comparing the two, they're VERY similar. The Forte's have slightly punchier bass, the Cornwalls have slightly better imaging / soundstage, but not by much and not anywhere near what I heard with the La Scalas. The Cornwalls do for sure sound "bigger". I have to double check what amp they were running at the dealer I heard the LS the first time, I thought it was also a tube pre-amp Macintosh. I did like the Cornwalls, nice speakers, but the LS were better without a doubt. I don't know what voodoo is in those LS but they were just magical. Now I want to hear the K horns and hopefully one day the Jubilees!   Maybe I'll change my mind in the morning but as of now I'm thinking I'll order the Forte's and get them nice and set up in my room and get used to them for a while. I have a nagging suspicion that eventually I'll get an itch to trade up for some La Scals and maybe a sub or two . . . we shall see!   

Also listened to some GoldenEar tower speakers.  I don't know if my ears are broken or something but all those super expensive speakers just sound dead to me, TOO neutral or something?  

Anyone on here running Decware tube amps? Thinking I may need to start looking for something with lightbulbs on top to sit next to the Marantz 2240. 

IMG_7168.thumb.jpg.835f7537bb91bc6acd42c2dc792e80a6.jpg

IMG_7166.thumb.jpg.7cddff6e9b9faca6bae0ee536429f901.jpg

Edited by blue360cuda
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jason str said:

I'm sorry to say spending time with the big stuff makes even the La Scala sound unimpressive.

I had three big subs in my theater and I know what it's like. However, I can run up my current setup louder than I can really stand and the sub stays with it. The La Scala by itself, leaves me wanting the bottom end.  I don't feel like I'm missing that anymore.  

Hell, I can't even crank a movie because everyone in my house tells me to turn it down... Even when they are also watching the same movie with me. 

And I certainly don't need anything bigger than a La Scala. I like good speakers, but I have other interests that keep me from chasing the "better" setup. 

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 9:04 PM, yamahaSHO said:

I had three big subs in my theater and I know what it's like. However, I can run up my current setup louder than I can really stand and the sub stays with it. The La Scala by itself, leaves me wanting the bottom end.  I don't feel like I'm missing that anymore.  

Hell, I can't even crank a movie because everyone in my house tells me to turn it down... Even when they are also watching the same movie with me. 

And I certainly don't need anything bigger than a La Scala. I like good speakers, but I have other interests that keep me from chasing the "better" setup. 

I fully understand and can almost still hear the nagging. Maybe in the future interests will change.

• Like 1