Went heritage speaker shopping yesterday . . .

blue360cuda

On 2/6/2022 at 9:54 AM, blue360cuda said:

Islander,   That's a great idea and pretty much what I figured I'd do if going with the La Scalas.  Do you really notice a difference having 2 subs v.s. just 1?  

EDIT:  As usual, I got a bit carried away, so here's the short version.  Yes, I do notice an improvement from adding the second sub, which is mainly more consistent bass in every part of the living room that I use.

In case you have some extra time, the long version follows:

Yes, I do notice a difference with two subs, but it's not what you might expect.  With my older 400-watt sub, the bass was relatively even around the room, but when I got the first 850-watt sub, there was a very noticeable bass peak in front of the sofa.  At first, I that my favourite Net Radio station had really cranked up the bass for some reason, and then I noticed that it was limited to a small area maybe just a metre or a yard wide.  I measured the sound level in the peak area and found that it was 20 dB higher in that spot, which is quite a lot.

Once I got the second 850-watt sub, that problem disappeared, so that was great.  To be honest, the theoretical reduction in distortion is hard to pick out at the near-infrasonic frequencies, but the overall smoothness is noticeable.  As well, the sound seems to be more solid and complete.  It's not perfect.  I need to do a couple of minor tweaks, including using the built-in DSP of the subs to adjust for the sound in 5 locations per sub, which does make an audible difference.  I swapped in a different, more sound-absorbing, sofa since I did that job on the first sub, so I have to get out the Perfect Bass Kit (PBK), with its tripod and calibrated microphone, and do it again, plus do the second sub, which I should get to sometime soon.  That no-rush-to-get-that-done feeling tells me that the system sounds fine right now, not sounding like anything about it is bugging me to make any changes.  As well, the JubScalas may need some minor positioning changes, since I'd like the sweet spot to be wider.

Some people go so far as to have four subwoofers, but I don't think my room is so sonically challenged as to require that much subwoofage to sound right in every part of the room.  I rarely go behind the sofa, for example, so if there's some irregularity back there, I don't care.

'Nuff said!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Islander said:

EDIT:  As usual, I got a bit carried away, so here's the short version.  Yes, I do notice an improvement from adding the second sub, which is mainly more consistent bass in every part of the living room that I use.

In case you have some extra time, the long version follows:

. . . . .

'Nuff said!

Islander, thanks for all the info!  I'm waiting my invite to hear your system in person; I bet it sounds awesome!   

Thanks for the straight info without being "mysterious" about your preferences and current set up . . .

The thing that keeps me leaning back towards the La Scalas is how well they imaged during my demo. The Forte's did a decent job as well but nothing like those La Scalas.  My dealer is going to have some cornwalls in a few weeks on the demo floor so I may have to do a second visit and hear all 3 back to back to back.   I'd just say heck with it and pull the trigger on the La Scalas but they would be a bit of a tight squeeze in my current room before I do a remodel (near future). I really do agree that it seems the La Scalas with a proper sub or two seems like the best of everything.  Thanks again!

Edited by blue360cuda
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, blue360cuda said:

Islander, thanks for all the info!  I'm waiting my invite to hear your system in person; I bet it sounds awesome!   

Thanks for the straight no BS info without being "mysterious" about your preferences and current set up . . .

The thing that keeps me leaning back towards the La Scalas is how well they imaged during my demo. The Forte's did a decent job as well but nothing like those La Scalas.  My dealer is going to have some cornwalls in a few weeks on the demo floor so I may have to do a second visit and hear all 3 back to back to back.   I'd just say heck with it and pull the trigger on the La Scalas but they would be a bit of a tight squeeze in my current room before I do a remodel (near future). I really do agree that it seems the La Scalas with a proper sub or two seems like the best of everything.  Thanks again!

If that mysterious comment was aimed at me I mostly use the La Scala and THT in my album.

If not disregard.

2 hours ago, blue360cuda said:

Thanks for the straight no BS info without being "mysterious" about your preferences and current set up . . .

Here's my not so big room with a pair of '77 LS's in them.  More or less the same footprint as the Cornwall's.

spacer.png

• Like 3

The owner of the stereo shop with the LS reached out to me, said they're getting Cornwalls in next month so they'll have everything from Heresy up to LS on floor for demo.  The interesting thing is, I asked what amp they were using (forgot) and he was running them off a Prima Luna evo 300.  The dealer with the Cornwalls and Forte's was using a Mac MA352. I'm really wondering now how much of the sound I loved from the LS was due to the Prima Luna.  I mean it was a SIGNIFICANT difference in overall quality, imaging and just pure enjoyment. Almost felt disappointed by the Cornwalls on the Mac amp since I expected them to be much more closer to the LS. I'm sure this is going a bit extreme but what the heck, not in a rush so I'll run back to the first place and give all 3 another listen with that Prima Luna. 

On the topic of tube amps,  I've never had one so looking to pick one up to go with the speakers. Not in a rush since I have the 2240 currently and she sounds great. Out of the tube market, what do you guys like and what sounds good on the Klipsch line up? Also, any preference for specific models of the Decware amps and why? Since the wait list is so long I might as well get on it and have something for Christmas next year.  

Appreciate how helpful everyone has been! Thank you all so much

3 hours ago, blue360cuda said:

My very humble 2 cents. For a year now I have reactivated my 1977 Lascala and I listen to it every day (and I put it in as original condition as possible). I have a small collection of nice to me speakers. I have unfortunately never heard a Cornwall or Heresy (except on youtube with headphones which can give a basic impression).  In my collection are Tannoy Canterbury from 1993. The Tannoy, with all their significant differences, are in the broadest sense even more comparable with the Cornwalls than with the Lascala.... Because it is a horn system from about 1100 Hz onwards and a bass reflex system below. Like the Cornwall, the Canterbury is a very large speaker.  The bass goes strong and powerful below 30Hz. The low frequencies are very impressive with the Tannoy with Alnico magnet and 15" driver. (The coaxial horn is also impressive for other reasons).
But after the Tannoy ran for a year, the Lascala came into use. 
And now I come to my point. It's just my personal experience, others will see it differently but I mean that one can have a fantastic listening experience over shorter periods of time, e.g. 4 weeks and that there is the happy circumstance that someone likes a speaker for a very long time, years, even that such a speaker is liked to become better and better.
Among these (few) speakers I count the Lascala. The Lascala pursues a different goal than most other expensive loudspeakers. Most expensive speakers which are not full horn designs (mid/tweeter horns incorporated)  offer a full scale frequency covering. But in my experience some not full freq. covering speakers do within their limits some things better.

In my experience I become fatigued after a while when the transition between the horn part and the conventional radiating lower freq. part of a speaker becomes obvious and starts to shows some limits of coherence and unity in terms of speed, impulse, articulation and so on. I will not say that well thought combinations of horn designs plus radiated bass are not one of the best compromises in the speaker world (like almost all speakers are a compromise). To be honest there can arise a subconscious little uneasiness in me that I would relate to the limits of reconciling horns with bass radiators. I had small 10" Tannoy when I was young and honestly I liked the overall sound better than the big Tannoy. Maybe I would even like a Heresy better than a Cornwall in this respect. The small direct radiators have less mass and are more nimble, that could perhaps be the reason for a better coupling to the midrange horn.

A Lascala does not have to share these concerns. While other speakers aim to reproduce a wide frequency spectrum, the Lascala's almost unique competence is to produce a fantastic connection of the higher and lower frequencies. (The same goal is achieved by other all-horn speakers such as the Khorn, the Tannoy Westminster, and the Jubilee. These speakers transmit lower than the Lascala, so they combine the advantage of deeper bass with seamless frequency connection in the mids. But that comes at a price...in monetary terms and the sometimes daunting cabinet size, with the Khorn in particular sometimes magically "disappearing" into the corners, which can't necessarily be said for a Westminster or a Jubilee. Back to the Lascala, its transition from mids to basses is among the best and most musical I know. I suspect that this is what creates your very positive listening impression. Because the articulation of a speaker is not only based on the quality of the components but mainly on their interaction....full horn design of the Lascala.

Now I come to the bass listening experience. Yes, there are speakers where I miss the bass. I experience it worst with the BBC Rogers LS5/9. Why is it so? The LS5/9 (you can google it for a visual impression) is one of the most articulate conventional speakers I know. It was a workhorse in the BBC studios. The tweeter dome of this two-way system was very large and stopped at 17 Khz. The connection of the treble to the bass, which is the main topic in this post, was the top priority. Speech reproduction was the focus of the work….and that is cool stuff. The bass ranged down to 55 Hz. But below that there was....absolutely nothing. Our ear doesn't like that very much when it cuts off rabidly. For example, a small LS3/5a only reproduces bass down to 70 Hz. But it flatters the ear, you do not miss much. It may also very quietly reproduce deeper bass. At least it psychoacoustically conveys this pleasant illusion. What does the Lascala do in this respect? It's very precise but it doesn't convey that brutal cut like the LS5/9 I mentioned earlier. In fact, it manages to make me miss nothing. In direct comparison, of course, I would hear what I don't miss but don't hear with the Lascala. My guess. 1) The Lascala reproduces the portion of bass which it can radiate with fantastic authority, torquey composure and breathtaking room-filling. This is a unique experience. 2) I always think that the Lascala additionally! reproduces deeper tones in a living room albeit much quieter (I know about the physics of horn length and mouth surface)  But...deep notes are there, even if my brain only illuses them to it or there happens a „rest“ of directly radiating driver to be heard somehow, just a guess). The impression of an unmerciful cuts is avoided. I do not miss with three very good speakers deep bass although they do not make it: LS3/5a, Lascala and Quad ESL57 (ancient electrostats that I also have and that are still my reference for the midrange).

Is it perhaps also a question of listening education and habits? For the music I like to listen to, mostly Jazz and Classic, some acoustical Blues, some Rock, I do not miss a note with the Lascalas, a lot is about becoming used to a presentation.

Finally back to the decision of the thread opener, I would definitely go with Lscalas. One benefit is that you have time to get used to all their benefits. And if you later on think that you are missing something you could later on add a sub. That is my two cents.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, blue360cuda said:

The owner of the stereo shop with the LS reached out to me, said they're getting Cornwalls in next month so they'll have everything from Heresy up to LS on floor for demo.  The interesting thing is, I asked what amp they were using (forgot) and he was running them off a Prima Luna evo 300.  The dealer with the Cornwalls and Forte's was using a Mac MA352. I'm really wondering now how much of the sound I loved from the LS was due to the Prima Luna.  I mean it was a SIGNIFICANT difference in overall quality, imaging and just pure enjoyment. Almost felt disappointed by the Cornwalls on the Mac amp since I expected them to be much more closer to the LS. I'm sure this is going a bit extreme but what the heck, not in a rush so I'll run back to the first place and give all 3 another listen with that Prima Luna. 

On the topic of tube amps,  I've never had one so looking to pick one up to go with the speakers. Not in a rush since I have the 2240 currently and she sounds great. Out of the tube market, what do you guys like and what sounds good on the Klipsch line up? Also, any preference for specific models of the Decware amps and why? Since the wait list is so long I might as well get on it and have something for Christmas next year.  

Appreciate how helpful everyone has been! Thank you all so much

Never underestimate such old Marantz amps, I had let restore a Marantz 2270 from my old uncle, RIP, it sounds really good with horns even if it is not my everyday amp. After 30 years living with tube amps only I just rediscover some older sand amp designs. My favorite so far is an amp I had used with my smaller Tannoy when I was young 35 years ago for a longer period of time. I just bought it again used for 300 € from ebay and I like it every bit very very much. It is a Quad 306 from 1989 with current dumping technology where the lowest SPL is free of any common transistor distortion. It is not so much worse than my MC275 tbh.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KT88 said:

My very humble 2 cents. . . .

Finally back to the decision of the thread opener, I would definitely go with Lscalas. And the benefit is that you habe time to get used to all their benefits. And if you later on think that you are missing something you could later on add a sub. That is my two cents.

That is one of the most well thought out replies I could have asked for. Your explanation of the bass with the LS is exactly what I experienced; the lower ranges didn't hit hard as the Forte's or other bass heavy speakers, rather it was more of a hint or whisper of what was there. The lower frequencies could still be heard, somewhat, but weren't  highlighted. 

Danke sehr KT88 ! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, svberger said:

Here's my not so big room with a pair of '77 LS's in them.  More or less the same footprint as the Cornwall's.

spacer.png

Nice corners.  I envy you.  Your Scalas look right at home there.  For some reason, many homes have rooms that seem to be designed only for everyday convenience, with no thought of how sonically compromised they may be, with asymmetrical room plans that seem best suited to mono listening.

I’m sort of kidding, but anyone who has or wishes to have Khorns knows how much searching may be needed to find a home with two Khorn-ready corners on the same side of an otherwise suitable room.  Even for less corner-dependent speakers (like the “works equally fine in a corner or along a wall” Cornwall), it’s a common problem.  Baseboard heaters are a popular culprit, since they’re normally placed under windows or sliding glass doors.  My first two homes had forced-air central heating, so the baseboard heaters were new to me, creating “keep-your-speakers-away” zones in most rooms.

It’s always something, am I right?

• Like 2

Running a solid state Macintosh MC2505 I got from @The Dude along with some Cornwall I's and am in heaven :)

MC2505 is the first amp they made after tubes, can be found for reasonable prices, and is a gem in my opinion. Pushes a rated 50 WPC (more than that in actuality) but should be plenty of juice for your room and the efficiency of Klipsch speakers.

Wishing you music bliss with your purchase/ decision.

Cheers!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blue360cuda said:

blue360cuda, you’re welcome to stop by any time you’re in Victoria.  It’s a popular destination for other things than Forum members, but there are two of us in this town, including another member who moved here a few months ago.  He has an all-Heresy system, which I’m sure sounds really good.

If you’re headed in this direction sometime, message me prior so I have time to slap the bats out of the La Scalas and JubScalas.  Just kidding.  My home is varmint-free.  An owner of a pair of Jubilees once posted that for him, looking into the big 402 horns was like looking into a pair of BatCaves.  I don’t get that feeling.  I’ve stuck my head into the horns sometimes, just for the fun of it, and there’s nobody else in there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

Nice corners.  I envy you.  Your Scalas look right at home there.  For some reason, many homes have rooms that seem to be designed only for everyday convenience, with no thought of how sonically compromised they may be, with asymmetrical room plans that seem best suited to mono listening.

I’m sort of kidding, but anyone who has or wishes to have Khorns knows how much searching may be needed to find a home with two Khorn-ready corners on the same side of an otherwise suitable room.  Even for less corner-dependent speakers (like the “works equally fine in a corner or along a wall” Cornwall), it’s a common problem.  Baseboard heaters are a popular culprit, since they’re normally placed under windows or sliding glass doors.  My first two homes had forced-air central heating, so the baseboard heaters were new to me, creating “keep-your-speakers-away” zones in most rooms.

It’s always something, am I right?

You are right.

And yes, the LS's are really perfectly mated for my needs in this room, and they sound fabulous. Way better then I imagined.

As much as the corners work well for the LS's, and did for my CW's, they unfortunately aren't quite right if I ever have the chance of getting some Khorns(which might be happening soon). Windows. Would have to either enclose them (if they're not already) or devise fake corners. The former is a hassle, the latter is not an option. And while the room is just about a decent size for LS', it's probably a bit small for Khorns.

9 minutes ago, svberger said:

You are right.

And yes, the LS's are really perfectly mated for my needs in this room, and they sound fabulous. Way better then I imagined.

As much as the corners work well for the LS's, and did for my CW's, they unfortunately aren't quite right if I ever have the chance of getting some Khorns(which might be happening soon). Windows. Would have to either enclose them (if they're not already) or devise fake corners. The former is a hassle, the latter is not an option. And while the room is just about a decent size for LS', it's probably a bit small for Khorns.

TBH it does not look like your room is too small for KHs. I would guess they can show their abilities. Only the seal could be an issue. But nevertheless I would give them a try. At least your room looks like the KH could be placed in a way that they are sealed to the sides.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KT88 said:

TBH it does not look like your room is too small for KHs. I would guess they can show their abilities. Only the seal could be an issue. But nevertheless I would give them a try.

I will probably give them a try if the opportunity presents itself. Not being able to properly seal combined with the additional hassle of moving them in, and then possibly out again has talked me down from the mountain of enthusiasm a bit, but I know that if the call comes in that they're ready to try out I'll probably go for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KT88 said:

My very humble 2 cents. For a year now I have reactivated my 1977 Lascala and I listen to it every day (and I put it in as original condition as possible). I have a small collection of nice to me speakers. I have unfortunately never heard a Cornwall or Heresy (except on youtube with headphones which can give a basic impression).  In my collection are Tannoy Canterbury from 1993. The Tannoy, with all their significant differences, are in the broadest sense even more comparable with the Cornwalls than with the Lascala.... Because it is a horn system from about 1100 Hz onwards and a bass reflex system below. Like the Cornwall, the Canterbury is a very large speaker.  The bass goes strong and powerful below 30Hz. The low frequencies are very impressive with the Tannoy with Alnico magnet and 15" driver. (The coaxial horn is also impressive for other reasons).
But after the Tannoy ran for a year, the Lascala came into use. 
And now I come to my point. It's just my personal experience, others will see it differently but I mean that one can have a fantastic listening experience over shorter periods of time, e.g. 4 weeks and that there is the happy circumstance that someone likes a speaker for a very long time, years, even that such a speaker is liked to become better and better.
Among these (few) speakers I count the Lascala. The Lascala pursues a different goal than most other expensive loudspeakers. Most expensive speakers which are not full horn designs (mid/tweeter horns incorporated)  offer a full scale frequency covering. But in my experience some not full freq. covering speakers do within their limits some things better.

In my experience I become fatigued after a while when the transition between the horn part and the conventional radiating lower freq. part of a speaker becomes obvious and starts to shows some limits of coherence and unity in terms of speed, impulse, articulation and so on. I will not say that well thought combinations of horn designs plus radiated bass are not one of the best compromises in the speaker world (like almost all speakers are a compromise). To be honest there can arise a subconscious little uneasiness in me that I would relate to the limits of reconciling horns with bass radiators. I had small 10" Tannoy when I was young and honestly I liked the overall sound better than the big Tannoy. Maybe I would even like a Heresy better than a Cornwall in this respect. The small direct radiators have less mass and are more nimble, that could perhaps be the reason for a better coupling to the midrange horn.

A Lascala does not have to share these concerns. While other speakers aim to reproduce a wide frequency spectrum, the Lascala's almost unique competence is to produce a fantastic connection of the higher and lower frequencies. (The same goal is achieved by other all-horn speakers such as the Khorn, the Tannoy Westminster, and the Jubilee. These speakers transmit lower than the Lascala, so they combine the advantage of deeper bass with seamless frequency connection in the mids. But that comes at a price...in monetary terms and the sometimes daunting cabinet size, with the Khorn in particular sometimes magically "disappearing" into the corners, which can't necessarily be said for a Westminster or a Jubilee. Back to the Lascala, its transition from mids to basses is among the best and most musical I know. I suspect that this is what creates your very positive listening impression. Because the articulation of a speaker is not only based on the quality of the components but mainly on their interaction....full horn design of the Lascala.

Now I come to the bass listening experience. Yes, there are speakers where I miss the bass. I experience it worst with the BBC Rogers LS5/9. Why is it so? The LS5/9 (you can google it for a visual impression) is one of the most articulate conventional speakers I know. It was a workhorse in the BBC studios. The tweeter dome of this two-way system was very large and stopped at 17 Khz. The connection of the treble to the bass, which is the main topic in this post, was the top priority. Speech reproduction was the focus of the work….and that is cool stuff. The bass ranged down to 55 Hz. But below that there was....absolutely nothing. Our ear doesn't like that very much when it cuts off rabidly. For example, a small LS3/5a only reproduces bass down to 70 Hz. But it flatters the ear, you do not miss much. It may also very quietly reproduce deeper bass. At least it psychoacoustically conveys this pleasant illusion. What does the Lascala do in this respect? It's very precise but it doesn't convey that brutal cut like the LS5/9 I mentioned earlier. In fact, it manages to make me miss nothing. In direct comparison, of course, I would hear what I don't miss but don't hear with the Lascala. My guess. 1) The Lascala reproduces the portion of bass which it can radiate with fantastic authority, torquey composure and breathtaking room-filling. This is a unique experience. 2) I always think that the Lascala additionally! reproduces deeper tones in a living room albeit much quieter (I know about the physics of horn length and mouth surface)  But...deep notes are there, even if my brain only illuses them to it or there happens a „rest“ of directly radiating driver to be heard somehow, just a guess). The impression of an unmerciful cuts is avoided. I do not miss with three very good speakers deep bass although they do not make it: LS3/5a, Lascala and Quad ESL57 (ancient electrostats that I also have and that are still my reference for the midrange).

Is it perhaps also a question of listening education and habits? For the music I like to listen to, mostly Jazz and Classic, some acoustical Blues, some Rock, I do not miss a note with the Lascalas, a lot is about becoming used to a presentation.

Finally back to the decision of the thread opener, I would definitely go with Lscalas. One benefit is that you have time to get used to all their benefits. And if you later on think that you are missing something you could later on add a sub. That is my two cents.

Many thanks for this great post.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KT88 said:

Now I come to the bass listening experience. Yes, there are speakers where I miss the bass. I experience it worst with the BBC Rogers LS5/9. Why is it so? The LS5/9 (you can google it for a visual impression) is one of the most articulate conventional speakers I know. It was a workhorse in the BBC studios. The tweeter dome of this two-way system was very large and stopped at 17 Khz. The connection of the treble to the bass, which is the main topic in this post, was the top priority. Speech reproduction was the focus of the work….and that is cool stuff. The bass ranged down to 55 Hz. But below that there was....absolutely nothing. Our ear doesn't like that very much when it cuts off rabidly. For example, a small LS3/5a only reproduces bass down to 70 Hz. But it flatters the ear, you do not miss much. It may also very quietly reproduce deeper bass. At least it psychoacoustically conveys this pleasant illusion. What does the Lascala do in this respect? It's very precise but it doesn't convey that brutal cut like the LS5/9 I mentioned earlier. In fact, it manages to make me miss nothing. In direct comparison, of course, I would hear what I don't miss but don't hear with the Lascala.

These LS3/5a are somewhat similar to the Harbeth P3ESR 40th Anniversary Edition, that my friend purchased.

I have listened how the convey the music and I sort of know what you are talking about. He was satisfied with little Harbeths for a while, but then started to wander how to improve that bass. After several tries he eventually got the smallest REL powered sub, the REL Tzero. It blends very good with Harbeths and that nicely filled the gap to the lower freqs. So, direct radiator speakers with direct radiator sub (ok, it fires to the floor but lets not be critical about that 🙂).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, svberger said:

spacer.png

The la scala's might be a bigger speaker overall but it does not 

Take up more space it just a illusion as you can see in both vids and same room the forte's

Take up more space into the room. than the la scala

• Like 2