Non-Profit

Curious_George

This is just a little venting, so it probably won't be popular, but oh well...

Why do people feel the need to mention they work for a non-profit? Why can't they just say I work at "xxx" and leave it at that? Does anybody need to know or care the status of the company unless it is pertinent to the actual conversation? Most times (99.9%), no, it is not pertinent.

And when people say (even reading it) they work for a non-profit, you almost feel dirty if you don't work for a non-profit too because you are engaged with a company that makes profit and distributes that profit. Now I realize what a non-profit is: "a legal entity organized and operated for a collective, public or social benefit, in contrast with an entity that operates as a business aiming to generate a profit for its owners".

I proudly own my own (small) business and I am in business to make money. In turn, I provide employees with a paycheck and provide services to customers. I also invest money into the company and after it's all said and done, I leave what is needed to run the company for the next year and take all the profits for myself.  Capatilism at its finest. 

I don't see why people have a problem with it. 

• Like 1

My hospital is a "non profit" but nets many millions per year.  So how is this non profit?  Well, No Owner and no board member gets to squirrel the money.  The excess revenue has to be spent within the company.  More directors hired and there are raises (within limits).  Also constantly building new structures and setting up new or upgrading service lines.  They don't have to pay taxes either.  Hard to compete with this model.  They are growing like a virus squashing any "private" competing organization.

So this "non profit" is misleading.

Yea, I own a business for profit....proud of it.  My business pays it's fair share of taxes too.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jwc said:

So this "non profit" is misleading

Don't know the hospital so don't know for sure, but I bet they are a Not For Profit vs Non-Profit. Seems like nit picking but they are very different. Non-Profit is typically a charity. I've been loosely associated with a Not For Profit for 20+ years via consulting agreements between them and my company. Believe me they are all about profit. 😁

As for the OP sounds like your hang up. When somebody tells me that they work for a non-profit, I don't feel dirty, I don't feel anything at all. I assume (maybe incorrectly) the person believes in the mission/reason/goal of the charity and are proud to be working for them. Perhaps they think by telling you that, you will ask about the mission and contribute to them if you feel the same way they do.

2 minutes ago, rplace said:

As for the OP sounds like your hang up. When somebody tells me that they work for a non-profit, I don't feel dirty, I don't feel anything at all. I assume (maybe incorrectly) the person believes in the mission/reason/goal of the charity and are proud to be working for them. Perhaps they think by telling you that, you will ask about the mission and contribute to them if you feel the same way they do.

Could partially be true, but who cares unless you ask? Like I said, I am (was) just venting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chassell said:

Why do people feel the need to mention where they work at all? It's interesting how our identities are tied to our work. 

Well there is that old saying that "work defines who you are", but it should be "how you work defines who you are". I've known a lot of people who show up for work everyday. Never miss any days, take their vacation, work extra when needed, etc. However, some of these people are the worst employees from a productivity stand point.

I've used the 7 habits mainly for work (probably should incorporate more into my personal life too, but that is a different story) and it has done well for me.  

7 Habits-of-Highly-Effective-People.pdf

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

Well there is that old saying that "work defines who you are", but it should be "how you work defines who you are". I've known a lot of people who show up for work everyday. Never miss any days, take their vacation, work extra when needed, etc. However, some of these people are the worst employees from a productivity stand point.

I've used the 7 habits mainly for work (probably should incorporate more into my personal life too, but that is a different story) and it has done well for me.  

7 Habits-of-Highly-Effective-People.pdf 126.35 kB · 0 downloads

Gotta balance the P and the PC. I read it about 35 years ago and that part stuck with me.

• Like 1

Thinking that if it bothers one, could ignore or have a rejoinder like:

I am a Capitalist.

Have a for profit business.

Am an entrepreneur.

Good luck!

Some may feel a need to explain their credence in this questionaire driven world. A need to differentiate who they are. No sweat, I'm the Janitor.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
39 minutes ago, Maxalex said:

When people mention working for a non-profit, it may stem from their desire to highlight the organization's mission-driven nature and positive social impact. It can serve to raise awareness, showcase personal values, and inspire others to engage in meaningful work. Additionally, it may foster connections with like-minded individuals who prioritize social responsibility.

This is a spammer account.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 8/23/2023 at 1:27 PM, the real Duke Spinner said:

Non Profit ..Does not actually mean No Profit

It's just that Profit is not distributed To Stock Holders

Bingo, or to Board Members. Can't distribute assets except to another 501(c)(3); a qualified educational facility, or governmental entity. 

You started seeing "Not For Profit" and "NFP" more to make that very point Duke, not really non-profit, but more, primary purpose isn't profit. 

Museums, hospitals, the arts like the local symphony, community theater, none of them, continue to operate unless their revenues exceed their expenses and they establish reserves. 

• Moderators

@wuzzzer and @Invidiosulus please keep flaging the spammers. Unfortunately, if they start the thread, like the Restoring Deleted Music post, it hides the entire thread, sorry about that guys. 

I don't approve of anybody who posts a first-time message that isn't Klipsch or at least audio-related. What Book are You Reading, Non-profits, etc. they don't get approved by me, if I'm on call when they come up for approval I don't. If they are approved before I see it then need the alerts to catch them. If you haven't posted Klipsch in your first 5 posts I get rid of them. They seem to be sneakier now, they don't post a hidden hyperlink on their first post, wait for a few posts. It is a constant pattern, probably the same off-shore people.

Either they make money on the click-throughs on the hyperlinks, or they are trying to find access to also run scams in the Garage Sale. Most, not all, have been less than 5 posts so they can't PM. But there is one at about 15. 

I have been meaning to thank both of you for what you have been doing, please keep doing it as I can't keep up with all of them. 

Travis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1