New Cars, no CD player, what are you doing?

Coytee

I use two different USB thumb drives, one with 500+ songs and one with 1000+ songs.
I used SiriusXM until the 1 year free trial was up.
Pandora and Amazon Music.
Also the local FM stations.

I hate SiriusXM. So much compression. I was always fiddling with tone controls trying to make it sound good. When my subscriber ran out from my new purchase it was so long Sirius. I have it free with Dish Network and never listen to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Whitlow said:

I hate SiriusXM. So much compression. I was always fiddling with tone controls trying to make it sound good. When my subscriber ran out from my new purchase it was so long Sirius. I have it free with Dish Network and never listen to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do agree, it always sounded like a poorly ripped MP3.  But, it was free for a year and worked well as background music.

I did not want blutooth, and I do not want to stream, and I do not want additional wires.

Bought a new cheap Pioneer deck with USB, replaced the old unit that was in the car, and voila...listen whatever put into USB flash memory. Many albums. I even got the remote control with that unit. And of course I can plug in a smartphone if needed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

replaced the old unit that was in the car

Though it may not happen....we're contemplating a 2022 which means it would not be an old unit in the car.  Besides....  in these newer cars, "what" do you replace?  What gets pulled out? 

Yesterday (reason it's taken me so long to respond) I had to drive 100 miles, put in a near 8 hour day, then drive 100 miles back home so didn't have time to do anything.

Anyway, last night on way home, I passed the Honda dealer, so on a whim, pulled in (2nd time, first time, they had nothing on the lot)  Now, they DID have a couple Accord's, one was hybrid the other two were (I think he called them) 'Sport' models.  They had paddle shifters.  (can those also be driven as an 'automatic' I presume?)

Wife would probably want a sunroof and none had that but I still got a chance to finally just look and see how it felt.  Toyota dealer is 30 miles away so haven't looked there yet.  One reason I stopped in is it's like pulling teeth to get "just a rough idea" of what their cost is....  when I asked, he still gave me a story, hemmed, yammered a bit....  talked about the OTHER guy who puts "$4,500" arbitrary markup fee on their car...blah blah blah...

Finally, I just cut him off and said "so what you're telling me is it's sticker price, right???"  to which I finally got my answer, yes.  That was really the whole reason I pulled in.  So now that I know they are (suggesting) that they are sticker price only, I can have a comparison idea.  

It really gets me annoyed at some of the games they have to play.  Oh, and I'm getting incessent emails from these folks (when I inqired online, I gave a bogus phone number because I knew what that would bring)  None the less....  bunches of emails about how "we want your car"....  I'm thinking, you know, if these are that hot of a commodity, then I'll just sell it myself.  You don't want it and you're not going to get it.....I'll give it to my brother in law before I sell it to you.  (they lost everything in Katrina and are still working on rebuilding their lives, and THEN, his wife gets diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer....  so any charity I have goes to them, not the dealer)

Back to work!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Though it may not happen....we're contemplating a 2022 which means it would not be an old unit in the car.  Besides....  in these newer cars, "what" do you replace?  What gets pulled out? 

Yesterday (reason it's taken me so long to respond) I had to drive 100 miles, put in a near 8 hour day, then drive 100 miles back home so didn't have time to do anything.

Anyway, last night on way home, I passed the Honda dealer, so on a whim, pulled in (2nd time, first time, they had nothing on the lot)  Now, they DID have a couple Accord's, one was hybrid the other two were (I think he called them) 'Sport' models.  They had paddle shifters.  (can those also be driven as an 'automatic' I presume?)

Wife would probably want a sunroof and none had that but I still got a chance to finally just look and see how it felt.  Toyota dealer is 30 miles away so haven't looked there yet.  One reason I stopped in is it's like pulling teeth to get "just a rough idea" of what their cost is....  when I asked, he still gave me a story, hemmed, yammered a bit....  talked about the OTHER guy who puts "$4,500" arbitrary markup fee on their car...blah blah blah...

Finally, I just cut him off and said "so what you're telling me is it's sticker price, right???"  to which I finally got my answer, yes.  That was really the whole reason I pulled in.  So now that I know they are (suggesting) that they are sticker price only, I can have a comparison idea.  

It really gets me annoyed at some of the games they have to play.  Oh, and I'm getting incessent emails from these folks (when I inqired online, I gave a bogus phone number because I knew what that would bring)  None the less....  bunches of emails about how "we want your car"....  I'm thinking, you know, if these are that hot of a commodity, then I'll just sell it myself.  You don't want it and you're not going to get it.....I'll give it to my brother in law before I sell it to you.  (they lost everything in Katrina and are still working on rebuilding their lives, and THEN, his wife gets diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer....  so any charity I have goes to them, not the dealer)

Back to work!

Every time I buy a car I wonder how much I will be screwed.

JJK

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Crutchfield has many choices by vehicle, custom wiring harness adapters so you or the installer doesn't butcher your wiring harness

Choices include nav systems, I hate the flat panels in the new cars, block visibility and waste valuable space

I spent the last 6 months looking at and for a car

both new and used are dismal

Many dealers are charging $5-10K premiums for cars they have in stock

Apparently people who buy them for MSRP then sell them a few days later for a profit

Lines to purchase Treblants and moldy bread........

$5K premium is wide spread

Used car prices are 40-50% higher than 2 years ago

If it's a good car, repair it

and yes there are parts shortages too

Dasvidaniya Comrad

Some dealers reporting 10 month backlogs on vehicle orders by customers

Manheim Used Vehicle Value Index expanded slightly to 236.3 last month, up 45% from a year ago. The non-adjusted price change declined about a percent compared to December, leaving the unadjusted average price up 40.8% year-over-year.

ZeroHedge

6 hours ago, Bubo said:

and yes there are parts shortages too

Wife got hit on Sept. 30... bumped her into the car in front. Three weeks to get into the repair shop. Got the car back two days before Christmas.

They did a superb job, but we had the rental all that time. I'm glad his insurance paid for it all, as the repairs and rental were about $10k.

• Like 1

My CD changer in my '12 Genesis  had discs stuck in it for four years. In that time I learned to use playlists from my iPhone to a Bluetooth adapter. Just got the discs out a few weeks ago. Not much desire to go back to physical media. It's nice to be able say, "Hey Siri, play [name of playlist]" or to get "smart" playlists based on what I played recently.

On 2/9/2022 at 3:55 AM, Coytee said:

I have never bought a new car or a car from a dealer.  Always private sale.  I cannot handle the BS.  Problem is that now used cars are sky high and electric cars are advancing rapidly so everything will be outdated. 

Seems like a really bad time to buy a car.  But then again, I'm sure that there is a plan to make cars become like cell phones, 'outdated' in a few years. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I have never bought a new car or a car from a dealer.  Always private sale.  I cannot handle the BS. 

The BS flows well, always be prepared to walk away.

Worked a few weeks for this crook having employees spray paint customers old parts that were perfectly good and selling it right back to them.

Plenty of honest work out there, no need to take advantage of people but greed is everywhere.

• Like 2