Looking for music web site

Cornman

I am looking for a site that will recommend the best sound quality recording for various cd issues . In some cases there are dozens of different releases of the same album thru the years with widely varying sound quality . Any one know of such a site ? I am tired of purchasing several copies of the same music just to find one with good quality sound .

Steve Hoffman Forums and Google are your friend. Type "Best sounding XXX album/cd/Lp" and the first hit will almost always be at this URL

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/

You have to wade through some people's opinions but you can typically separate the chaff from the wheat. As for a site that you type in a title and it spits out a one line result, I don't know of any.

• Like 1

There used to be books of which I owned 'the rough guide to jazz' and 'the rough guide to classical music'. They listed the vest recordings and cds , but may now be out of print. 

It's a bit sad they did not continue with these publications. They were very good:

https://www.amazon.com/Rough-Guide-Jazz-Reference/dp/1843532565 

51R+nI3OemL._SX363_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

8 hours ago, Cornman said:

I am looking for a site that will recommend the best sound quality recording for various cd issues . In some cases there are dozens of different releases of the same album thru the years with widely varying sound quality . Any one know of such a site ? I am tired of purchasing several copies of the same music just to find one with good quality sound .

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

@dirtmudd I believe there is one he used for vinyl, not sure if its the for CDs. 

that's a very subjective.. just like how we chose are home audio.. from the speakers first and down the chain of equipment in it..

And how deep your pockets are..

what your willing to spend..

Just remember one man's garbage is one man's treasure..

I'm not a fan of cds period !

But when I have some more time

I will give a better response..

Thanks for the suggestions guys .

Dirtmudd I understand your point about "subjective " but This is not a choice question but an obvious & agreed on by most . The quality of a Rudy van Gelder or Tom Dowd (and others )  engineered recording far exceeds the average release . Subjective for me -example is I like Miles Davis music until he started into his Be bop phase . Others love it thats Subjective . The magnificent  vocal harmonies are only partially reviled in there first release masterpiece " Crosby Stills & Nash"  and thats a shame .

I have heard on the Klipsch forum for the past 20 years " Garbage in - garbage out " and how true it is . Thats the small price we pay when we improve our systems - the more they reveal the more quality recording and the poorer pressings reveal them selves .

4 hours ago, Cornman said:

Dirtmudd I understand your point about "subjective " but This is not a choice question but an obvious & agreed on by most . The quality of a Rudy van Gelder or Tom Dowd (and others )  engineered recording far exceeds the average release . Subjective for me -example is I like Miles Davis music until he started into his Be bop phase . Others love it thats Subjective . The magnificent  vocal harmonies are only partially reviled in there first release masterpiece " Crosby Stills & Nash"  and thats a shame .

I have heard on the Klipsch forum for the past 20 years " Garbage in - garbage out " and how true it is . Thats the small price we pay when we improve our systems - the more they reveal the more quality recording and the poorer pressings reveal them selves .

I just moved up from la scala's 🔥🔥🔥!!! to Klipschorns... I don't have a lot of time listening to them over all.. My vintage thorens td125 turntable is down for now...

So I'm using a modified sony c222es.. And I'm having trouble listening to cds.. I'm not getting the enjoyment from them. As I would vinyl.. It's the over compression used in the CD format.. And it's also found in vinyl.. I have several mofi ultra 2 gold disc.. And a few master sound labs gold cds .. I have not done a/b testing vinyl vs cd... 

But To answer the best I could..

Step into your local record store..

Preferably one that's been open for years.. The do sell cds to..

But a knowledgeable owner can lead you into the right direction..

But it's your ears that count ..

On 12/25/2021 at 1:42 PM, Cornman said:

You might also consider a "Transport " only for cd's used with external Dac of your choice . I recently got the Cambridge and really like the sound with my PS Audio dac .

5 hours ago, Cornman said:

Find a used Sony play station 1 Sony ps1

You will be surprised !

Dirtmudd , thanks for link and your comments .  But it makes me think I have not presented my question clearly . For me the issue of CD vs LP is a very different and subjective issue  from my question . I am in my late 70's , so my hearing quality is diminishing . I remember back in the 1950's when I got my first Garrard turntable I thought I was in high cotton . 😁 . So i have had decades of listening  & a proclivity to like the LP format but over the past 15 years as my gear quality improved  I personally prefer the CD sound (if it is a Quality pressing ) And this is just one of those choices we all make based on our ears . For me the cd is way more dynamic and better fq response . I own TT gear and play it occasionally, often putting on the same recording in both formats both spinning simultaneously, switching pre amp source selector between CD and LP . A great way to compare the sound . Have owned a variety of cd player brands , there do vary in sound quality just as TT do . Definitely not trying to convince any one that cd is the Best format . The one your ears prefer is the Best for you .

Seeking the best sound quality  release in either format is my quest . Looking over the catalogs its common to have 15 or 20 releases of same album done by many different engineers and studio locations  I have numerous releases that I enjoy - think its good music but rarely spin them because the quality of recording is so poor . As you say many or way over compressed , others sound like there is a blanket over the sound etc . I have a few CD's that are " Best Of " compilations , eg  Bonnie Raitt,  The Band , Steeley Dan and others . As you listen to the various songs it is often easy to hear the change in sound volume and quality from one cut to next,  different studio  and engineer .

I am stiil looking over the links yall have provided , but so far they seem to be catalog listings in detail of all the various issues of each release but no grading system or review of Hi-fi quality .

Right on Shiva , the site you linked describes the problem very well and offers a solution . I had seen that site that Babadono provide years ago but completely forgot about it . Thanks for bring it to my attention . This should help in selecting the better recordings by some artist . The Hoffman site that Rplace suggested has some nuggets of info to be found but takes a lot of reading & digging .

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 9:38 AM, Cornman said:

Dirtmudd , thanks for link and your comments .  But it makes me think I have not presented my question clearly . For me the issue of CD vs LP is a very different and subjective issue  from my question . I am in my late 70's , so my hearing quality is diminishing . I remember back in the 1950's when I got my first Garrard turntable I thought I was in high cotton . 😁 . So i have had decades of listening  & a proclivity to like the LP format but over the past 15 years as my gear quality improved  I personally prefer the CD sound (if it is a Quality pressing ) And this is just one of those choices we all make based on our ears . For me the cd is way more dynamic and better fq response . I own TT gear and play it occasionally, often putting on the same recording in both formats both spinning simultaneously, switching pre amp source selector between CD and LP . A great way to compare the sound . Have owned a variety of cd player brands , there do vary in sound quality just as TT do . Definitely not trying to convince any one that cd is the Best format . The one your ears prefer is the Best for you .

Seeking the best sound quality  release in either format is my quest . Looking over the catalogs its common to have 15 or 20 releases of same album done by many different engineers and studio locations  I have numerous releases that I enjoy - think its good music but rarely spin them because the quality of recording is so poor . As you say many or way over compressed , others sound like there is a blanket over the sound etc . I have a few CD's that are " Best Of " compilations , eg  Bonnie Raitt,  The Band , Steeley Dan and others . As you listen to the various songs it is often easy to hear the change in sound volume and quality from one cut to next,  different studio  and engineer .

I am stiil looking over the links yall have provided , but so far they seem to be catalog listings in detail of all the various issues of each release but no grading system or review of Hi-fi quality .

that goes with any recording .

And it does not matter what format it's .. so you have to know , or be in the know.. of great recordings . or what record label had there signature sound . I like the verve sound for jazz . And I like Electra for the doors ! for pre 70's recordings .. Not so much for later recordings .. it comes done to what the artists want.. or chose for studio , sound engineer so on so forth..

http://www.johncuniberti.com/onemic/