Help--Need a Harman Kardon 430 tech.

JohnW

11 minutes ago, JohnW said:

The resistor I have in there now isn't even getting warm. 

As it shouldn't.

But remember when you had the meter across R9 and we saw the voltage jump up past 4v? That is when the intermittent fault is occurring and burning the resistor up. I wouldn't change the dissipation rating of R9 because if it doesn't do it's job and fail open you will most likely end up damaging other components.

Fingers crossed it's fixed. My gut says the way it was shipped to you that something came loose, it could be the ground you tightened but that shouldn't be the only ground for those boards. If the problem comes back have a look for the other grounds I mentioned and follow the wire, most likely black to where it leads and see if it has a good connection there. You can also clip your meter leads from board ground to chassis ground while measuring resistance and wiggle things to see if you lose ground while wiggling things.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, babadono said:

Wiggle it, just a little bit....

The most advanced troubleshooting test ever, the wiggle test!!!  😆

In all seriousness I have found many a intermittent connections with the wiggle test. Intermittent drop of signal gets tough to troubleshoot, just input test signal and probe your way through each stage while poking and wiggling every component and connection, sometimes even freeze spray until you see the signal drop out/come back. Saved my skin many a times.

• Like 1