Using Klipschorns & La Scalas for a dance party

dug

Hey folks! 

I am the proud owner of a pair of heritage Khorns + La Scalas. I've organised seated listening events with over 100 people with the La Scalas alone but am wondering what it would be like to use the Khorns in a dance context. I know even just from listening at home that when set up right the woofer can thump even without a sub. I also believe that the reason at higher volumes some like to raise the midrange to above ear level is to avoid deafening the crowd. I've seen that David Mancuso at his Loft parties would both raise the tophats and use 5 or 6 khorns, one for each corner and one opposite the DJ booth.. also for 1-200 people.

Long story short, with the setup I have do you guys think (in a decent room) I could entertain ca 100 guests with loud clear dance music (some organic, some electronic) without doing damage to the speakers or the audience? All thoughts welcome.. well, sensible ones anyway! 

Cheers, 

Doug

Sure, but make sure you have an amp with headroom and don't clip it.  That will take out the tweeters easily.  If you want loud and not having to worry about damage, I suggest swapping the tweeters with an offering from Dave A here.   Have fun. Volume tends to go up with drinks... Why I stated the above. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 001 said:

@dugyou'll need subs to supplement these klipsch speakers in  a live 100 persons  live setting ,  once you add the noise of 100 people , that pretty much drowns the bass  and  the speakers will sound thin in the LF .

thanks for the response @001. so subs (ideally horn loaded i hear) but then also active instead of stock passive to route the below 100hz to the sub, right?

18 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Sure, but make sure you have an amp with headroom and don't clip it.  That will take out the tweeters easily.  If you want loud and not having to worry about damage, I suggest swapping the tweeters with an offering from Dave A here.   Have fun. Volume tends to go up with drinks... Why I stated the above. 

running a 70w tube amp (Dynavox VR-70e) - that should have plenty of headroom, no? re: tweeters kind of regretting not getting the TypeAA from Crites with that extra tweeter protection. will just have to be careful with the levels.

1 hour ago, Davecv41 said:

They're your speakers to do with what you want. I told my wife a couple decades ago that there wasn't any way that I could connect her karaoke machine to my Khorns.

😆 amen! it's just if i'm running things in a semi-professional way and enticing guests with a quality sound system i also want the sound (including bass) to be impressive

funnily enough I just saw a local seller with 6x JBL4645Cs for 400eur (455usd) each. Seriously tempted to pick up a pair but still unsure how to encorporate subs into a passive 3-way. only solution is going active, right? i've read around the 4645Cs make a good La Scala pairing, despite not being horn loaded.

EDIT: PS.. I'm out here in Berlin, Germany if any forum users are in the area!

Edited by dug
addition of user location

15 hours ago, dug said:

thanks for the response @001. so subs (ideally horn loaded i hear) but then also active instead of stock passive to route the below 100hz to the sub, right?

Although I'm not operating a dance club, I'd suggest that you check out the plans from Bill Fitzmaurice for some DIY (or have someone build for you) subs. I have one (soon to be two) of his THTLPs. They have exceeded my expectations.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dave MacKay said:

Although I'm not operating a dance club, I'd suggest that you check out the plans from Bill Fitzmaurice for some DIY (or have someone build for you) subs. I have one (soon to be two) of his THTLPs. They have exceeded my expectations.

interesting proposition, i'll consider it. i've a carpenter buddy eager to build some cabs, would probably work out more expensive than 2x JBL4645Cs however.

On 2/11/2022 at 1:45 AM, Davecv41 said:

They're your speakers to do with what you want. I told my wife a couple decades ago that there wasn't any way that I could connect her karaoke machine to my Khorns.

I have had one hooked to LS when I owned them. The music sounded great, even if some of the singing did not. 😬

I also used my LS at a Christmas party in one of the rooms at the Chattanooga Convention Center, in an 1,800 sq ft room with 15-20 for ceiling. A single 300wpc amp. The place was rocking with over 100 people. We had no subs, but there was still plenty of bass for people to enjoy it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Marvel said:

I have had one hooked to LS when I owned them. The music sounded great, even if some of the singing did not. 😬

I also used my LS at a Christmas party in one of the rooms at the Chattanooga Convention Center, in an 1,800 sq ft room with 15-20 for ceiling. A single 300wpc amp. The place was rocking with over 100 people. We had no subs, but there was still plenty of bass for people to enjoy it.

good to know, thanks Marvel

• 1 month later...

Hey Doug. A couple of additional thoughts. Definitely raise up the tophats if you're going to be getting a dance party together (a riser equal to the height of the bass bin is a good rule of thumb). Doesnt have to be complicated, but make sure it's secure (ratchet straps securing through the top hat). Getting the mids and highs above the average human height means that nobody will block your high end by dancing in front of a speaker. 

For 100 people, a single horn loaded sub (which you can place the La Scala on top to also raise it up) will be a nice addition. Search "keystone sub" for a great design with plans that isn't too hard to fabricate. They're a great match.

If you want to ensure that your tweeters and the guests ears stay intact, invest in an inexpensive DB meter, and before the event, take some measurements in the middle of the room. Set your max db by taking a reading and mark that place on your mixer or preamp. You can slowly climb to there as the night goes on and the room fills up, without any worry.

Most importantly, your first responsibility as the host of an event is the safety of your guests, so make sure there are enough exits and have a plan in case of any common emergency that any volunteers also know. Boring stuff, but it will give you peace of mind, especially if your events grow.

Best of luck!

On 4/5/2022 at 4:37 AM, Blackrapids said:

Hey Doug. A couple of additional thoughts. Definitely raise up the tophats if you're going to be getting a dance party together (a riser equal to the height of the bass bin is a good rule of thumb). Doesnt have to be complicated, but make sure it's secure (ratchet straps securing through the top hat). Getting the mids and highs above the average human height means that nobody will block your high end by dancing in front of a speaker. 

For 100 people, a single horn loaded sub (which you can place the La Scala on top to also raise it up) will be a nice addition. Search "keystone sub" for a great design with plans that isn't too hard to fabricate. They're a great match.

If you want to ensure that your tweeters and the guests ears stay intact, invest in an inexpensive DB meter, and before the event, take some measurements in the middle of the room. Set your max db by taking a reading and mark that place on your mixer or preamp. You can slowly climb to there as the night goes on and the room fills up, without any worry.

Most importantly, your first responsibility as the host of an event is the safety of your guests, so make sure there are enough exits and have a plan in case of any common emergency that any volunteers also know. Boring stuff, but it will give you peace of mind, especially if your events grow.

Best of luck!

Only just seen this, thanks again for the info.