Heresy 2 Upgrade: Crites vs Klipsch H3 kit

Ok keep me posted. I suppose that there is always the option of going back to original components. Or did you need modify anything to fit the new parts? Where is the foam located?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 10:22 AM, Subtle Sam said:

Ok keep me posted. I suppose that there is always the option of going back to original components. Or did you need modify anything to fit the new parts? Where is the foam located?

There will be no going back for me. I had the round sound caps and had to cut a rectangle and do a bit of woodwork to make it look good. The HIII sound cap needs to sit flush so I had to fill in the rabbet left behind from the round cap.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sbcoffey42 said:

There will be no going back for me. I had the round sound caps and had to cut a rectangle and do a bit of woodwork to make it look good. The HIII sound cap needs to sit flush so I had to fill in the rabbet left behind from the round cap.

Ah ok, mine have the square sound caps. So after a couple of weeks how do you feel about the sound of you upgraded H2’s?

3 hours ago, RandyH said:

Expect   stronger bass  and the HF is more detailed , the crossover sound  is night and day

As well, there will be an improvement in sensitivity.  The specs say that it will go from 97 dB/W/m to 99, which is about right.  I had to slightly bump down the level of the single H2/3 that I was using, to keep it in harmony with the La Scala main speakers.

The Heresy III upgrade kit almost seems to violate the Iron Law of speaker design, the one that states that there are three basic goals in speaker design:  deep bass, high sensitivity, and small cabinet size.  You can pick two, but you can never have all three at the same time.  Well, with the H-3 kit, you get deep bass and higher sensitivity, without changing the cabinet size.  How is that possible?  I'm guessing that it's the combination of the K-28 woofer and some sophisticated features of the much more complex crossover.

In any case, the kit is a distinct upgrade.  Happy listening!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Islander said:

As well, there will be an improvement in sensitivity.  The specs say that it will go from 97 dB/W/m to 99, which is about right.  I had to slightly bump down the level of the single H2/3 that I was using, to keep it in harmony with the La Scala main speakers.

The Heresy III upgrade kit almost seems to violate the Iron Law of speaker design, the one that states that there are three basic goals in speaker design:  deep bass, high sensitivity, and small cabinet size.  You can pick two, but you can never have all three at the same time.  Well, with the H-3 kit, you get deep bass and higher sensitivity, without changing the cabinet size.  How is that possible?  I'm guessing that it's the combination of the K-28 woofer and some sophisticated features of the much more complex crossover.

Thanks for the info Islander. You were the one who sent me down this path originally (thank you!) so I’ll let you know my impressions. Mind you it’s been 6 weeks and as far as I can tell the Canadian distributor hasn’t received the kits from Klipsch. I will continue to wait patiently. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Islander said:

I was really impressed with the K28----plain  jane 12 inch woofer looking until you plug it in , it's a K-24 /K-22  steel basket with  a vented flat round magnet and a different cone  , and a 4 Ohms voice coil-   the K-28- K is Made by Klipsch   -K28-E is Made by Eminence

Klipsch sent me an email recently , K-28/ 100$ each which is peanuts , anyone buying el cheepo PE Dayton woofers , or Eminence Delta woofers can  buy the K-28 directly from klipsch Parts -

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 11:19 AM, sbcoffey42 said:

I have the speakers done but at first listen something was off. This was Sunday. They sounded great but something wasn't right. Yesterday I realized I forgot to put the dampening foam back into one of the speakers so I will put that in today. There is something different with the sound of the HIII upgrade, nothing bad, just something I can't quite describe. I haven't had much time to really sit and listen.

Give it a little while. Brand new drivers, brand new capacitors, give it time to break in a little bit. Things will smoothen up and open up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I recently purchased the H2 to H3 upgrade kits for a total of $590 for 2 delivered....after waiting almost 9 months for them to become available. I had to send in serial numbers and photos of my H2s, and the kits arrived extremely well packed - boxes within boxes within boxes. I was very excited - until I read the one page install instruction sheet, which was the first time I was informed that there are multiple versions of the speaker some of which the upgrades are not designed for ie it mentioned the round input cup version - the large and very impressive looking crossover is part of the input terminal binding post module, large and rectangular, designed to go into a roughly 6X5 inch hole in the rear panel. Well, my early version of the H2 doesn't even have the round hole, it has NO hole, just a small input terminal block with held on from the inside of the back panel by 2 bolts with also carry the wires from the crossover which is bolted to the sidewall on a piece of plywood! the woofer, and the squawker and tweeter horns are all bolted to the back of the baffle (inside the speaker), while the kit is designed with the drivers to be fastened to the front of the baffle. Now I was getting worried, furthermore, the old horns were steel while the new ones were plastic, with much larger flanges, neither horn fit into the holes as per the instructions from the front, as the holes on this model were not designed to pass the drivers through since they were bolted on from the back.

Swallowing hard, I began the irreversible changes to my precious Heresys and the upgrade kit itself. With a half-round wood rasp, I widened the hole for the tweeter horn along its bottom edge and created 2 rounded opening at top and bottom center to allow the horns round driver-mounting flange to pass through the baffle and widening the hole until the horn would fit flush with the top of the baffle flange basically right against the lip of the speaker box. Then I had to remove most of the bottom edge of the horns plastic flange until I got near to the bottom set of mounting holes. Finally I had to cut a slot between the midrange and tweeter horn holes to allow the tweeter driver to pass through the midrange hole

Now I had to do the same thing with the midrange horn and driver, widening that hole at its bottom edge until the larger horn horn sat flush, removing the top center portion of the midrange horn's flange where it over lapped with the tweeter flange, losing 2 of the 6 mounting holes in the process. The midrange driver had to be removed from the horn, the horn threaded through and mounted, and the driver re-installed through the back. Klipsch's advice on the phone to put the new drivers on the old, still-mounted horns instead was impossible to do, the mounting holes did not match up at all, so I had to do it this way., Also the woofer hole needed to be widened with the file by about a half inch and chamfered to allow the new woofer to fit from the front. My final major mod was to cut the rectangular hole in the back panel to accept the crossover/input terminal block, done with a drill and keyhole saw. I am finishing the first speaker final assembly today, and beginning the second one, will let you know how it all comes out, wish me luck!

Edited by ShaughtUp
left out info