10w mono tube amps from magnavox console.

Orbit

Hello,

Considering buying a set of blocks to pair with my La Scalas and horn sub.  I will also need a pre-amp as I only have a Sansui G-3500.  

Question is would you expect these to have much fidelity?  What should I look for in the way of a pre-amp?  Asking price is $600.  45 minutes from the house.  

I listen to the full gambit of music at low and moderate volumes in a 13 x 23'9" 7'4" room.  

Speakers are 7' into the room and my chair is also 7' out.  I am falling in love with the deep image behind the speakers.  My goal is to get that as good as I can within reason.

I appreciate any and all criticism and guidance.  Thank you for your time.

Edited by Orbit
Pic did not show up

7 hours ago, Curious_George said:

The only way to know if those amps have any fidelity, is to listen to them and have some documentation of tests performed. The latter is probably not an option, so you’ll have to go by what they sound like. 

That's what I am afraid of.  If the speakers in the store are not as sensitive as the La Scala I could be listening to something worlds apart right?  

$600 for both amps or each?

If it's for both I'd probably go with $500 cash and see if he takes it but still $600 isn't awful. The reason is even if the circuit in it's current state isn't great, which most console amps are not then you have all the expensive things needed to make really high quality amplifiers.

To answer your question they probably sound okay but not great high fidelity amplifiers but they are excellent candidates for easily being turned into something much better. Both for $500-$600 is a great start.

15 minutes ago, captainbeefheart said:

$600 for both amps or each?

If it's for both I'd probably go with $500 cash and see if he takes it but still $600 isn't awful. The reason is even if the circuit in it's current state isn't great, which most console amps are not then you have all the expensive things needed to make really high quality amplifiers.

To answer your question they probably sound okay but not great high fidelity amplifiers but they are excellent candidates for easily being turned into something much better. Both for $500-$600 is a great start.

That is for both of them.  I am able to solder and have built guitar pedals from kits but I am no circuit designer.  

Side note we had a "Tropical Hotdog Night" Themed NYE party this year complete with a tropical Hotdog bar.  

24830.jpeg