Why no highly efficient surrounds?

Blu Azure

I have an aging pair of Klipsch RS35 (97db/watt) surrounds and just went online to scope out replacements. I was surprised that Klipsch only make one efficient set of surrounds anymore, the pricey $1099 RS-502 at 95db. All their others are 93db or less.

I don't think I'm being picky, but with DD I like my speaker efficiencies matched. Its a shame that with all their efficient floorstanding models...especially the Heritage series...that they don't produce any highly efficient surrounds like the RS series anymore. A surround with 97-98db would be amazing.

1 hour ago, Blu Azure said:

I have a 2nd set of Fortes that I've considered using as the rears. I kinda like the idea of Surround A, B and Rears though. The Cinema line of pretty amazing though, didn't know that existed.   

My 5 Heresy setup is the best I've ever had.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 1:19 PM, jason str said:

Look through the Cinema line for better selection.

I thought you couldn't buy from the Cinema line unless you owned a movie theater or something like that (bulk buys). Assuming someone, in theory had Forte or cornwall, or chorus in the front, would the Cinema line work well for the back match-wise (assuming the person couldn't get or fit another chorus, cornwall, etc., because of space concerns).

Curious.

15 minutes ago, Sam S. said:

I thought you couldn't buy from the Cinema line unless you owned a movie theater or something like that (bulk buys). Assuming someone, in theory had Forte or cornwall, or chorus in the front, would the Cinema line work well for the back match-wise (assuming the person couldn't get or fit another chorus, cornwall, etc., because of space concerns).

Curious.

First I heard of that, can't see why they would care where you put them after the sale.

20 minutes ago, jason str said:

First I heard of that, can't see why they would care where you put them after the sale.

Thanks. Maybe it was "Pro Cinema"? I thought there was a post by Cory (Paducah), but can't find it now. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sam S. said:

Thanks. Maybe it was "Pro Cinema"? I thought there was a post by Cory (Paducah), but can't find it now. Thanks for the info.

I know there's an installer line that retailers like Cory don't have access to.  Not all Klipsch products are available by all retailers who carry them.  Most of the Pro line can be purchased through different retailers, though.

• Like 1

It would be great if 5.1 speaker packages and large, affordable multichannel receivers continue. But I have a suspicion that after all the Port problems and chip shortages....companies with large losses are going to try to reinvent home theater. People are not going to spend $1k of a pair of surrounds. Sad to say surround sound-in-a box may be where things are going. 

16 hours ago, Blu Azure said:

It would be great if 5.1 speaker packages and large, affordable multichannel receivers continue. But I have a suspicion that after all the Port problems and chip shortages....companies with large losses are going to try to reinvent home theater. People are not going to spend $1k of a pair of surrounds. Sad to say surround sound-in-a box may be where things are going. 

My La Scalas make great surrounds with the modded La Scala II main speakers.  And used Heritage speakers are affordable.  Prior to buying the LS2s, the La Scalas were my main speakers, and the surround speakers were a pair of Heresy IIs.  At 97dB sensitivity, the H2s were very good, and at 99dB, Heresy IIIs would be even better.  I’m currently using a Heresy III as a rear surround with the La Scalas and La Scala IIs.  All these speakers are readily available, so why not have a look around, on the Garage Sale section here on the Forum, or on US Audio Mart, or the like?

Size is a big restriction in designing efficient surrounds-try hangina some LaScala's on the wall! You'll see this is true in virtually all movie theaters. Also, surrounds are meant to disperse sound over a wide area and not be heard as a distinct sound source therefore their sound level doesn't need to match those of the L-C-R.

That’s why Heresys make fine surround speakers in a Heritage Series system.  At around 40 pounds, they are small and light enough to mount on a wall or on a high shelf, and their sensitivity is high enough to match up with highly sensitive main speakers.  This is important, because some, or maybe many, AV receivers only have an adjustment range of 10 dB between speaker levels, so if there’s a big gap in sensitivity the AVR can’t bring the low-sensitivity speakers up high enough to do their job.  

The sound level of the surrounds does need to be as high as the mains.  Picture a scene where rain is falling all around.  If the surrounds are too low, the effect is lost.  Yes, much of the time the surround content is lower than that of the mains, because the director wants your attention focussed on the scene in front of you, but that’s his or her choice.  When the surrounds come into play, they need to be as loud as the director intends, no lower, no higher.

As for the La Scala surrounds in my system, I didn’t plan it that way.  The system had La Scala mains and Heresy II surrounds, when a mint pair of La Scala IIs showed up in the Garage Sale section, not far from me.  As well, the price was great, so I picked them up and brought them home to be my new main speakers.  That was fine, but what to do with the first-gen Scalas?  Well, they were here, they were paid for, what the heck?  I was able to use several folding steps (4 per speaker, each rated at 250 pounds) to mount them 13” above the floor, which raises the tweeters and squawkers above the level of the top of the sofa, which is just about right.  Decadent?  Maybe, but having La Scalas in the first place is kind of decadent anyway, right?

13 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Size is a big restriction in designing efficient surrounds-try hangina some LaScala's on the wall! You'll see this is true in virtually all movie theaters. Also, surrounds are meant to disperse sound over a wide area and not be heard as a distinct sound source therefore their sound level doesn't need to match those of the L-C-R.

In formats such as Dolby Atmos, direct-radiating speakers are preferred over wide dispersion ones.