Crossover Capacitors Paralleled

TubesGlo

I need 2.5uf for the mid circuit and 4uf for the tweeter. I'm experimenting with NOS PIO caps.

1)Should I use a single 4uf or 2x 2uf in parallel? Also I can't get a cap in the 2.5uf value so I can use a 2uf and a .5uf or 2x 1uf and a .5uf paralleled, recommendations?

2)Is bypassing either of these caps with a small value poly-film considered necessary?

Edited by TubesGlo
spelling

A 1uf and 1.5uf in parallel will work fine. I have started stocking caps I can add together for various values a while back as it works fine and cuts down on the amount of stock I have to keep on hand. Plus the ESR will be lower that way too. I am sure since this is a capacitor topic you will get a variety of opinions shortly. This however is what I do and no complaints from anyone. I have never bypassed caps and have no opinion on that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave A said:

A 1uf and 1.5uf in parallel will work fine. I have started stocking caps I can add together for various values a while back as it works fine and cuts down on the amount of stock I have to keep on hand. Plus the ESR will be lower that way too. I am sure since this is a capacitor topic you will get a variety of opinions shortly. This however is what I do and no complaints from anyone. I have never bypassed caps and have no opinion on that.

Thanks Dave,

With these particular caps to make up the 2.5uf I can only get 2uf and .5 or  1uf x 2 and .5 (no 1.5) I'm assuming as long as the voltage of the three are the same, summing three caps to get the value I need shouldn't be a problem.