Closed backs on Khorns 2.0

Daan

Message from The Netherlands:

The Khorns in our home played fine for years already, providing strong, deep bass like you might expect from these cabinets.

Beeing reproductions made by a professional cabinetmaker, they are much heavier and more solid than the two original Khorn sets i had ( nothing bad about those though).

Then I met the owner of a Dutch woodworker shop, who was interested in sound but never gave it much thought.

I invited him for a listen and the same thing happened like it did when I heard hornspeakers for the first time ( La Scala).

Long story short: we bought a set of La Scalas for him ( which are currently playing in his workshop..) and he agreed to make the closed backs on my Khorns like I had in mind. Later on he will build a pair of Khorns and use the LS drivers.

Both happy with the end result, I thought I should post it here for others to see in case anyone is still in doubt of what to do with their Khorns, though I can understand the choive of not wanting to change anything on a original pair.

After the makeover, they can be put anywhere in the room and do their thing:  they even sound better as they did before.

More midbass, tighter deep bass, more impact. 

I must confess that the walls inside our house are not made of bricks, hence the better sound now I guess.

The braces are removable at the sides where the lid is (for acces to the woofer compartment).

If anyone in The Netherlands needs a professional who can do a job like this: his name is "Johan Witte fijn timmerwerk" in Hillegom.

Horns are great!

IMG-20211016-WA0002.jpg

• Like 4

Top panel is made for matching 80cm birch midhorns. These can now be positioned at any angle without sticking out.

Woofer: K33E

Mid: JBL 2445J

High: JBL 2404 ( not in picture yet)

Active filtered, Classé fifteen for bass and class A monoblocks for mid and highs.

Impressive in terms of scale, dynamics and plays effordless at any volume.

Even the wife is very happy.😁

20220216_151322.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks, it does sound awesome!

I have been playing with ( Klipsch) horns for a long time already ( 3 sets La Scala, 2 sets Klipschorn over a timespan of more than 30 years.

Fell in love with the La Scala, played 10 years with my first pair without changing anything... I wish I could go back in time to experience that feeling again.

What I ended up with now, is not a Khorn at all, but defenately the best sounding set so far. It is still is a fully loaded hornsystem though, no compromise there.

The bassbin design of PWK remains brilliant and is still build around the world today by professionals such as Johan Witte over here in NL.

The mids and highs... well ,there are simply better drivers and horns nowadays and it is a personal choice to go that route.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 6:22 PM, Daan said:

Thanks, it does sound awesome!

I have been playing with ( Klipsch) horns for a long time already ( 3 sets La Scala, 2 sets Klipschorn over a timespan of more than 30 years.

Fell in love with the La Scala, played 10 years with my first pair without changing anything... I wish I could go back in time to experience that feeling again.

What I ended up with now, is not a Khorn at all, but defenately the best sounding set so far. It is still is a fully loaded hornsystem though, no compromise there.

The bassbin design of PWK remains brilliant and is still build around the world today by professionals such as Johan Witte over here in NL.

The mids and highs... well ,there are simply better drivers and horns nowadays and it is a personal choice to go that route.

Your speakers look very impressive, sonically promising and aesthetically exceptional.