KSM-15 project idea

uteman1011

Looking for insight:
If I can get these for a good price (maybe under $200), I'm thinking Cornscala D style speaker (2-way).

Pull the motorboards and build cabinets for them?? If so, would need to build the cabs as large as the D? (I'm pretty sure they're as large as the CW).  That would mean new motorboards. Also, is the horn in the KSM going to be sufficient for a 2-way?
OR... do I find tweeters and CW crossovers and make them CW clones?

image.png.09246fede9721a3d22bccd701a9a4605.png

Cornscala D for reference
image.png.b1ee35e4068c7ae9ad77aab9268f51e8.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, uteman1011 said:

Looking for insight:
If I can get these for a good price (maybe under $200), I'm thinking Cornscala D style speaker (2-way).

Pull the motorboards and build cabinets for them?? If so, would need to build the cabs as large as the D? (I'm pretty sure they're as large as the CW).  That would mean new motorboards. Also, is the horn in the KSM going to be sufficient for a 2-way?
OR... do I find tweeters and CW crossovers and make them CW clones?

Cornscala D for reference

I can't tell by the picture if they're original or the II's-- The original KSM-15's use the k-601 mid horn for the top end and would likely need a tweeter which would also mean a new crossover. The II's use the larger k-604 horn with a 2" aluminum driver which was used in a 2-way as you describe I believe the KP-302? 

https://www.klipsch.com/products/kp-302

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, uteman1011 said:

L

Pull the motorboards and build cabinets for them

you can use the  KSM motorboards and crossovers for a 2 way speaker , NO tweeter needed , NO modification needed except building a  cabinet around the motorboard   , you can  re-use the grilles , handles , terminal cups -  50Hz to 17.5KHz

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I can't tell by the picture if they're original or the II's-- The original KSM-15's use the k-601 mid horn for the top end and would likely need a tweeter which would also mean a new crossover. The II's use the larger k-604 horn with a 2" aluminum driver which was used in a 2-way as you describe I believe the KP-302? 

https://www.klipsch.com/products/kp-302

Thanks!  Reading Bob Crites info on his build it seems the horn is critical.  But the specs on the KSM 1 seem like the horn would fit the bill!  I'll have to see if they can send me a pic with the grills off and a pic of the terminal cup.

19 minutes ago, 001 said:

you can use the  KSM motorboards and crossovers for a 2 way speaker , NO tweeter needed , NO modification needed except building a  cabinet around the motorboard   , you can  re-use the grilles , handles , terminal cups -  50Hz to 17.5KHz

Hopefully that's what will work!  I really don't want to mess with a motorboard build. :)

16 hours ago, uteman1011 said:

Hopefully that's what will work!  I really don't want to mess with a motorboard build. :)

it will work  ,  here's the ideal setup , you build a  taller cabinet than the motorboard and leave 2.5  inches of space under the motorboard , the back would be sealed   , the idea being to vent  like a CW 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 5:19 PM, RandyH said:

it will work  ,  here's the ideal setup , you build a  taller cabinet than the motorboard and leave 2.5  inches of space under the motorboard , the back would be sealed   , the idea being to vent  like a CW 

I ended up getting them.  $200.  They are HEAVY!
I just had shoulder surgery a couple days ago so the project will have to wait. :(

Randy, do you think I should I just keep the ports as they are and not extend the motorboard?

14 minutes ago, uteman1011 said:

I ended up getting them.  $200.  They are HEAVY!
I just had shoulder surgery a couple days ago so the project will have to wait. :(

Randy, do you think I should I just keep the ports as they are and not extend the motorboard?

yes , worst case scenario  , you can enlarge the ports  , but as is , the cabinet is already vented  , these are the k601 horns , so the same horns as the CW II

• Like 1

I'm starting to question myself on where I was heading.
If I use the original motorboards and build a box around them I may not have enough cabinet volume to handle those 15" woofers?
My Cornwall II are about 6.35 sq ft volume.  Depending on how deep I go, the cabs I was thinking of building would only be 3.84 ft sq. 
Hmmm 

2 hours ago, uteman1011 said:
I'm starting to question myself on where I was heading.
If I use the original motorboards and build a box around them I may not have enough cabinet volume to handle those 15" woofers?
My Cornwall II are about 6.35 sq ft volume.  Depending on how deep I go, the cabs I was thinking of building would only be 3.84 ft sq. 
Hmmm 

6.35 sq ft volume  may not be  possible with the current motorboard  , but you can try to increase the internal volume of the cabinet , and calculate the results with these modifications .

, 1)- you'll need to extend an open  slotted space under the motorboard  using a  3 /4 inch plywood panel , the  slot would look like a Vented Cornwall cabinet with another 3 inches of free space under the slot , that should add  about 4 inches  to the height of the cabinet  even if the motorboard  is shorter .

2)- you can   increase the depth of the cabinet  , if this is still insufficient , you would need to cut new motorboards + add a tweeter

• Like 1