Cornwall IV - Which Mc?

Metallo

6 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

So you should really just flip a coin?

More accurately, I am saying take audible differences out of the equation because there likely aren’t any.

Personally, I would stick with an integrated amplifier. In much the same way people romanticize tubes people also romanticize the idea of separates. While separates may allow you to independently upgrade the preamp or the power amp, they also potentiate issues like hum and hiss that arise from having extra interconnect cables and power cords.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ODS123 said:

More accurately, I am saying take audible differences out of the equation because there likely aren’t any.

Personally, I would stick with an integrated amplifier. In much the same way people romanticize tubes people also romanticize the idea of separates. While separates may allow you to independently upgrade the preamp or the power amp, they also potentiate issues like hum and hiss that arise from having extra interconnect cables and power cords.

If you agree with the sound, why not have a high-quality integrated amp?

I don't know exactly, but the main benefit of pre and power amps may play a role when people have hundreds or even 1000 watt amps. And isn't it a historical issue when power supplies of integrated amps were much more primitive and caused turmoil in the phono circuit?

Plus, all the private modifying and fine tuning, starting with cables, is first and foremost the fun of experimenting and the fun of hearing something different. Surely it makes sense to swap a really bad Chinese tube for a decent better one.
But an English hi-fi journalist once wrote, how would it be if tubes were fixed soldered and transistors were in a plastic housing with plug-in contacts. Then a lot of people would fiddle with their transistor amps...sand roll.

On 2/20/2022 at 6:11 PM, pallpoul said:

MAC7200 2.jpg

I liked the MAC7200 a lot with my LS, i bought another one for my CW III's. 

I’m using a MAC7200 with my CW IVs and love it. Thought I was going with an MC275 but then I started looking at the MAC7200 and it seemed like the most bang for the buck (perhaps an oxymoron with Mc gear) of anything McIntosh makes. If I feel like upgrading my system anytime soon I will swap out the DA1 for the DA2 and I might switch from MM phono cartridge to MC but the MAC7200 will stay! 200 wpc + their autoformers - all you’ll ever need. And local sports radio through the Cornwalls is pretty fun!

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Everything here is very informative, I do have a question. I am currently looking to upgrade my mono black amps for my CW4s (currently running 2 Emotiva Xpa HC-1 Mono Blocks), I came across a good deal on a pair of Mcintosh MC601s and my only hesitation is the fear of the 601s blowing the CW4s. The Emotivas are plenty powerful (300w @ 8 ohms), I just changed my preamp (Parasound Halo P-6_ for a Mcintosh C50) and it completely changed everything for the better; I am thinking that pairing the C50 with the MC601s would give me a better overall sound.

I don't listen to music at an extreme loudness (35% is a bit much off the C50), mostly classic rock (Floyd, LZ, Fleetwood, Eagles), Jazz… 

Thanks for any input or advice.

On 8/27/2023 at 8:29 AM, RickS said:

Everything here is very informative, I do have a question. I am currently looking to upgrade my mono black amps for my CW4s (currently running 2 Emotiva Xpa HC-1 Mono Blocks), I came across a good deal on a pair of Mcintosh MC601s and my only hesitation is the fear of the 601s blowing the CW4s. The Emotivas are plenty powerful (300w @ 8 ohms), I just changed my preamp (Parasound Halo P-6_ for a Mcintosh C50) and it completely changed everything for the better; I am thinking that pairing the C50 with the MC601s would give me a better overall sound.

I don't listen to music at an extreme loudness (35% is a bit much off the C50), mostly classic rock (Floyd, LZ, Fleetwood, Eagles), Jazz… 

Thanks for any input or advice.

amps don't blow speakers -- people blow speakers by turning it up too much.  the power rating is the maximum output -- you don't have to use it all (no one does on most amps).

On 2/21/2022 at 2:02 PM, ODS123 said:

No argument from me really

It either does the job, or not

I have both kinda systems..

QuickSilver Pre into Crown Macrotech ..

And some vintage Kenwood integrateds... I would hate to part with either...  Obviously the MacroTech has much more slam

But the Kenwood equipment is quite elegant on its own

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, SpeedLimit said:

finally, I ordered an McIntosh MA7200 amplifier for my CW IV ... i do hope that it will fit

excellent decision , no doubt it's  pricey but no doubt,  this is a serious piece of equipment