Thinking about getting my 1st tube gear

Moit

I currently like the 70's Pioneer SX series.

Mainly use a SX-1010 with my 72 K-Horns

Thinking about getting into the tube game

Some local offerings on CL are as follows

HH Scott - 299C - $1,400 fully restored

HH Scott - 222D - $900 fully restored

Fisher 500C -$1,100 fully restored

Fisher X-100 - $850 same guy as the 500C

Any suggestions on how these units compare and thoughts on the asking prices would be greatly appreciated.

24 minutes ago, Moit said:

HH Scott - 299C - $1,400 fully restored

HH Scott - 222D - $900 fully restored

the Scott 299 and 222  are crystal clear HF , dead quiet    after a full recap / wiring replacement ,

at 1400$ it should be pristine , plus a  Wood Case

Of those choices the Scott 299C would be my choice. It was a higher end unit compared to the 222D and sold for almost 100 dollars more when it came out. The 299C also uses a great tube, the 7591 which is still in production and as far as new production tubes are concerned a really nice one. NOS 7591 tubes are very expensive now and for the most part culled but I wouldn't worry because as I mentioned the current production version of the tube is a really great tube.

One thing to consider is how much do you need a AM/FM tuner? Since you are looking at amps without a tuner then I get the impression it's not a huge deal for you so I would not get a vintage tube amp with a tuner in it because of the extra headache of keeping it aligned and in good operating condition. I have seen many people drop a lot of money on "restored" receivers and when they get it the people that did the restoration never touched the tuners sections as it's above most tech's pay grade. If you do purchase one ask if the tuner was serviced. I personally prefer separate tuners and mulitplex units. I also thought the HH Scott 299C sounds better than the Fisher 500c, actually the 299C will best many of the vintage amps in sound even McIntosh in my opinion, they just sound really good. Don't get me wrong The Fisher is great also.

True you can't go wrong with anything listed here. Having had scott, fisher, knight, and mcintosh for the money I'd ditch McIntosh for the Scott or Fisher. I slightly prefer the EL84 models. I'd like to restore one of the bigger Fishers someday like a SA300 or a K100.

I have a stack of Fisher and Scott tuners I'd love to restore but I've never properly restored one. It looks like a huge PITA.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Really appreciate all the replies and insight.  The tuner section is not important, and agree could add extra issues.  I was leaning towards the 299C, as it had big production numbers and always highly rated.  Parts and tubes being available is a plus.  May go grab it this weekend, I'll update this pose if/when. Thanks!

I added the CL link just in case the seller is a member, or others may view the post and see something I may have missed.

https://madison.craigslist.org/ele/d/pewaukee-hh-scott-stereomaster-type/7450604075.html

On 2/21/2022 at 6:43 AM, seti said:

I dig the Fisher X-100 it is one of the best vintage I've owned. Once mine was restored it sounded amazing and very stable. Didn't hurt it was full of mullard tubes. I believe there were many different versions of the 100 and 500.

Fisher fan as well

tc

• 6 months later...
On 2/21/2022 at 11:18 PM, rmlowz said:

I have a DH Inspire Universal and a 45/2A3 DH Inspire Like Curious George stated that I enjoy. Although of all the tube amps I have Curious Geroge's 300B is my favorite.

Rich

I am looking for a 300B amp as well right now. I have the (bigger) Dennis Had on my list. Don‘t know what to expect. 

1 hour ago, zeitlos said:

I am looking for a 300B amp as well right now. I have the (bigger) Dennis Had on my list. Don‘t know what to expect. 

The biggest difference in sound is going to be from a PP, push pull, tube amplifier or a SET, single ended triode. Both sounds are entirely different. I lean towards SET as favorite form. PP is going to sound a lot like all the SS PP amps but probably better for those that love tubes.