1/4 inch and XLR inputs on KP201?

Selector Z

Greetings Fellow Klipsch Lovers :)

Looking at buying some KP201s locally and am curious about the custom inputs on the back of the speakers. Looks like the previous owner installed some 1/4 inch jacks on the back for the input and I am curious if anyone can shed some light on the following points.. Asked the current owner about the details and he had no clue said he got them from a musician..

1. Being this is a passive speaker, how would a XLR input work? I have never seen XLRs used for passive speakers, only for active speakers or connections from mixers to outboard gear/ rackmount gear, etc. Is this used to pass signal from one speaker to the other and not to power it?

2. Has anyone ever seen 1/4 inch cable inputs installed on the backs of speakers like these? I''ve seen them with factory 1/4 inch inputs but not with custom installed ones.. One of the speakers has the banana plugs ripped off so I am worried about them being able to function with the custom 1/4 inch inputs..

3. Anything I should look out for regrading the custom 1/4 inch jacks? If I take of the input panel should I make sure that the 1/4 inch jacks connected to any specific internal components (the crossover, fuse, or anything of that nature)? Anything else I should look out for?

Thank you so much for your help and time. I have been after a pair of these for quite a while and would like to buy these if all is alright with them.

Sincerely,
Selector Z.

384823540_KlipschKP201.jpg.3c0200a1d734034a1b0b9821cb33da29.jpg957281045_KlipschKP201b.jpg.9e114a2c982af8ead8f4e9d810bf8089.jpg

Apologies if this is in the wrong topic section of the forum. Just noticed maybe it is better off in the Technical/ Modifications section of the forum? If so please let me know if I should repost it there or if a moderator feels it would be more appropriate in that section of the forum please feel free to move discussion to other topic area. Thanks and apologies for any inconvenience.

I have not seen the XLRs on a KP-201.  Klipsch did use a female xlr to female xlr cable to connect the horn section of their KP-450 to the woofer cabinet.  The low pass portion of the crossover lived in the woofer cab and the high pass lived in the separate horn cabinet. They used pins 1 and 3 to jump speaker level signals between the two cabinets.  Never was a fan of that arrangement for the same reason it is confusing to you.  Also they must be custom made...won't find them anywhere.  Same thing is accomplished with a banana to banana jumper.  You would really have to pull the input panel to see how everything is wired.

• Like 1

Thank you @Jeff R!! I really appreciate that insight and information! Definitely scratching my head over these.. Thinking I should be able to utilize these with the 1/4 inch jacks if the are wired correctly. Anything I should be on the lookout for with the wiring when pulling the input panel off? Should the 1/4 jacks be going straight to the crossover? Crossover going to the different drivers with the highs going through the fuse for protection? Anything I should look out for regarding the custom inputs bypassing some crucial gear? Thanks again for your time and help with this!

Sel Z,

Inputs should pass through the fuse and on to the input of the crossover.  Hopefully, the xlr is parallel.  It would be odd that someone added the xlr as given a choice to modify an input that is the last thing i would do.  As suggested, they could have been used with a subwoofer but I don't know that any subwoofers come with the xlr connector.  Maybe someone had some KP-450 bottom cabinets and added the xlr to mate them with the 201s.  Bottom line, you need to pull the input panels and take a look.