Let's talk stereo bass, and recordings that take advantage of it

CoryGillmore

First off, I'm not talking about just having two subs. I'm talking about having two subs that are NOT summed to mono. I achieve this with my setup by using the stereo pre-outs on the back of my audiolab 6000a Play. These are not strictly sub-woofer pre-outs, just regular pre-outs. This amp offers no bass management either, so that is managed on the back of each sub. 

Now, let's talk recordings that actually take advantage of such a setup. Which isn't as easy as you may think. As with most modern recordings, all sub bass is summed to mono in the studio. 

But not all recordings. The Chesky Records binaural recordings are such recordings that are not summed to mono. Macey Grays "Stripped" record is a great record for such a setup. On most songs on this record, there is a standup bass located stage right. And it's very obvious on a stereo bass setup, as the right side of the room is pressurized. 

Amber Rubarths "Sessions from the 9th Ward" is another Chesky binaural recording which is good for stereo bass. 

One of my absolute favorite records for stereo bass is:

1648574907_Screenshot2022-02-21125541.thumb.jpg.1b82972e0affccd44441842b69d35cc8.jpg

There's many great tracks on this record that take advantage of stereo bass. Track #3 being especially good, with an upright bass on each side of room playing a different passage. 

Also the first track features an "octobass" a 16ft tall bass violin that requires two people to play. It's positioned dead center in the room though, so no cool stereo bass effects, but cool nonetheless. 

So what do you guys got? Any good recordings for stereo bass? 

• Like 1

I don't currently have a setup for stereo deep bass.  However, I will once Klipsch gets around to start making Heritage Jubilee and I get my pair.  So, I may have to pick up Mega Bass and see what it's like.  With the Checky binaural recordings that you mentioned, how do you play those back on a standard speaker setup?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMurg said:

I don't currently have a setup for stereo deep bass.  However, I will once Klipsch gets around to start making Heritage Jubilee and I get my pair.  So, I may have to pick up Mega Bass and see what it's like.  With the Checky binaural recordings that you mentioned, how do you play those back on a standard speaker setup?

I've always found binaural recordings to sound just fine on a standard speaker setup. 

8 hours ago, CoryGillmore said:

Is no one into stereo bass setups around here? 

I have been off and on over the years started out with a pair of velodyne va-1012's look like a 20 year old version of the REL subs you were looking at. Had a pair of RSW-10's to go with my Sunfire CRM-2's and CRS-3's years back and also had an RSW-15 as an LFE in the corner, those systems rocked pretty damn good and blindfolded don't think you would know that the main speakers could fit in the palm of your hand. 

Peaked with a pair of Klipsch KW-120's the Ultra-2 subs flanking my Chorus II's again with an RSW-15 for LFE, that system was insane would literally blur your vision closest I've ever heard a home stereo that mimicked a really good car stereo the room was so pressurized it was a lot of fun.

My take after years of experimenting with several different set ups is that stereo subs are absolutely necessary when running small speakers crossed over up high 80-100hz as I could easily locate the bass direction in the upper frequencies but when running large mains with decent output down low and a properly located and crossed over single sub will work just as good.

Here's an easy experiment for you if you're interested-- since you have your subs crossed over at 40hz and run your Cornwalls full range try placing the subs stacked on top of each other no need to wire them any different they will sum just like an LFE stacked in stereo. As long as the subs are in between your mains closet to center is better you should have a hard time distinguishing sub location and bass should sound like its coming from the appropriate speaker. 

• Like 1

I don't know if it's stereo bass or not, but if you want an excellent recording of two bass players together, get a copy of Ron Carter's Piccolo. Ron on Piccolo bass and Buster Williams on double bass. Great music and great recording. Preferably on vinyl.....😉

BTW, my setup has stereo subs.

• Like 1