Adding EQ with La Scala's

svberger

I don’t think a small 8” sub is going to keep up with LaScalas. I pretty much know it won’t.

You can do multiple subs that aren’t the same if you are doing a swarm. If you are only going to use two, I’d get two of the same. Three or more, not as important.

My advice is to get something with at least a 15” driver with a stout amp. Preferably sealed if music is your thing.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 11:32 PM, svberger said:

What some folks have indicated about their subs in that much of the time they didn't even know if it was off or on is much the same experience I've and most others have had with this unit with Allison and AR speakers. .....

Properly dialed in, subwoofers should not be obvious.  It they are, they are likely 10 dB too loud. 

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

I don’t think a small 8” sub is going to keep up with LaScalas. I pretty much know it won’t.

You can do multiple subs that aren’t the same if you are doing a swarm. If you are only going to use two, I’d get two of the same. Three or more, not as important.

My advice is to get something with at least a 15” driver with a stout amp. Preferably sealed if music is your thing.

What about the RSW-15?

I've heard the RSW-15 and was impressed, but I'd want 2+.  Made the lobby scene in The Matrix feel real.

Having started with 1, then 2, then 4 VMPS New Larger Subwoofers, More fill the room and reduce distortion.  I feed my 4 with Acurus A250 at about 350 watts each.  The "Revenge Of The Fallen" movie cost me 2 subs and another A250! 

2 hours ago, JohnA said:

I've heard the RSW-15 and was impressed, but I'd want 2+.  Made the lobby scene in The Matrix feel real.

Having started with 1, then 2, then 4 VMPS New Larger Subwoofers, More fill the room and reduce distortion.  I feed my 4 with Acurus A250 at about 350 watts each.  The "Revenge Of The Fallen" movie cost me 2 subs and another A250! 

See this is where the big disconnect is between me and lots of folks on this and other forums who love subs. I have never seen either of the movies referred to here, and I never will. I stopped going to movie theaters even before the pandemic because of the ridiculously big loud systems. And many other reasons. So the type of stuff I that I listen to is reflective in the type of gear that I use and love. The La Scala's provide all the bass I would ever need.

Unless I wanted to replicate the lobby scene in the Matrix of course.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, svberger said:

What about the RSW-15?

1. I have an RSW-15 that I use with my Klipschorns.  It trails off to 23 Hz (down 14 dB, then nothing) with REW, but goes to 16 Hz (-2 dB) with the Diapason disk with Bernfeld warble tones.  I have no clue.  It sounds pretty smooth to 16 Hz, and does not sound like it's doubling* a sound I am familiar with from other speakers.
  2. From what you've said, you are happy now, and would be happy with smooth sound down to 30 Hz, which the RSW-15 does easily.
  3. I'd recommend trying a crossover at 60 Hz, to let the LaScala take the bass as low as it's capable.
  4. If you use Audyssey or Dirac Full Bandwith (which, IMO, I think you should try, eventually) it has been said that two or more subs should be identical, so the room/speaker correction won't limit the bass to the properties of the lesser subwoofer.  This may have been overcome by now.
  5. By and large, I don't like high excursion subs like the RSW-15, because the deep bass seems a bit muddy to me, compared to our tight, precise horn loaded woofers in a pair of La Scalas, or Klipschorns.  A horn loaded sub might be better.

* As I understand it, doubling involves relative silence of the frequency put in, but gross harmonic distortion one octave above, which can fool  some people into thinking the injected tone is being reproduced.

31 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

Those K-Horns in that picture were staged for marketing. A close coupled corner is still needed and would yieled the best sound. 

Isn't the reason they enclosed them was so they could be used in less then perfect corners? The same reason that people enclose the older versions who don't have perfect corners? So if I was considering a pair Khorns and have corners that are close to windows so less then perfect, an enclosed pair would be a reasonable solution, particularly if I had no desire to construct false corners?

Yes, it is. However, the short part of the horn that has been enclosed is still fairly short and to realize full performance, you would still need to have the k-horn close coupled to a wall length. 

It would be nice to see perfect and less than perfect frequency response graphs of the new speaker in various room configurations. 

1 hour ago, svberger said:

So would these corners be satisfactory with the enclosed Khorns if I decided to splurge, or should I stick with the LS's, which sound great in them?

spacer.png

If you are very happy with the LaScala's, my advice would be to get a nice subwoofer to compliment them. The new k-horn is nice, but they are going to sound entirely different than what you have setup now. And the cost to upgrade is significant. If you are not happy with the results down the road, that would be a lot of money to burn. 

Of course try and listen to the k-horns in a nice audio salon first and make sure they are want you need / want. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, svberger said:

So would these corners be satisfactory with the enclosed Khorns if I decided to splurge, or should I stick with the LS's, which sound great in them?

spacer.png

In my humble opinion, you have a perfect corner on the long side of both speakers (on the side walls), as it looks. I think this should give a good result, even if the other corners towards the windows may not be 100% sealed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

If you are very happy with the LaScala's, my advice would be to get a nice subwoofer to compliment them. The new k-horn is nice, but they are going to sound entirely different than what you have setup now. And the cost to upgrade is significant. If you are not happy with the results down the road, that would be a lot of money to burn. 

Of course try and listen to the k-horns in a nice audio salon first and make sure they are want you need / want. 

Yes, ok, but I think nothing is burned considering the price of the offered pair. No problem to resell them.

2 hours ago, svberger said:

spacer.png

In other words, if I would have your room and I would have this offer oversees here I would not hesitate, TBH. I believe that it works good. Many people with KH even have not one of the two walls which are so good as in your case.

12 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

I've very happy with the LS's, and I have no need nor desire for a sub.

Thanks for the advice re: the Khorn. I was asking more as a hypothetical then anything else. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on anything without being certain that I was going to like them. And like them more then what I already have.

7 minutes ago, KT88 said:

In other words, if I would have your room and I would have this offer oversees here I would not hesitate, TBH. I believe that it works good. Many people with KH even have not one of the two walls which are so good as in your case.

And then of course Heinz has to give me his .02😉

• Like 1