Can't complain about the cost of Heresy IV

ClaudeJ1

after seeing this ad from a dealer about a little tiny speaker, probably not as good as the RP-600M at 1/8th the price!!! Yes I have a pair for my computer speakers.

A three-way, coaxial mid-tweeter passive speaker with a 7" woofer (from France): $4,400 plus tax!

• Like 2

When I first started looking at Klipsch seeing what the 40 year old ones bring used I knew I had found what I sought. Now my budget doesn't allow me a new pair of LaScala or Klipschorns but if it did I'd buy them at retail. After listening and seeing which one I preferred of course.

21 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

after seeing this ad from a dealer about a little tiny speaker, probably not as good as the RP-600M at 1/8th the price!!! Yes I have a pair for my computer speakers.

A three-way, coaxial mid-tweeter passive speaker with a 7" woofer (from France): $4,400 plus tax!

How is it going for you with the new studio?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

the Genelec 8361 is 5k$ each ...it's just money  ..https://www.genelec.com/8361a

• Confused 1

On 2/22/2022 at 1:01 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

In 1985 i bought a brand new pair of Heresy for $900 out the door and a new used pair for $500 out the door.   I like the old prices better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mopardave said:

In 1985 i bought a brand new pair of Heresy for $900 out the door and a new used pair for $500 out the door.   I like the old prices better.

I bought my 1972 Heresy set in 2018 for €700 in Belgium and haven't regretted this one second since... 

6 hours ago, mopardave said:

But you forget about how much cheaper your money got. Inflation is no joke, and time always tells!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

For sure. The $100 bill is the new $20.

You are being too kind with that Understatement! But it appears that you're very close in your assessment. If Walnut Khorns were close to $3,000 in 1977, 45 years ago, what should they cost today? The CPI calculator show about $14,400 should be the price of Khorns right now with the same Walnut Oil or Lacquer Finish. Perhaps even 10-20% more for the higher effective cost of production and improvements (enclosed back, bigger, higher cost Network, connectors, etc.), and not just including the selling prices?

5 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You are being too kind with that Understatement! But it appears that you're very close in your assessment. If Walnut Khorns were close to $3,000 in 1977, 45 years ago, what should they cost today? The CPI calculator show about $14,400 should be the price of Khorns right now with the same Walnut Oil or Lacquer Finish. Perhaps even 10-20% more for the higher effective cost of production and improvements (enclosed back, bigger, higher cost Network, connectors, etc.), and not just including the selling prices?

$3000 in 1977 was alot of money.  I know my dad bought a brand new 1975 Monte Carlo for about $5000.

Inter-continental transport costs have risen spectacularly over the past two years. Getting Klipsch Heritage speakers from the US to Europe, for instance, makes them even more expensive. Add taxes and import duties, and you see prices skyrocketing... Look at the screengrabs below... You can do the conversion yourself, I guess.

This is an official Klipsch dealer in Belgium: https://www.mediaelectronics.be/product/klipsch-heresy-iv/

image.png.3396dd7f7cf2e70d5e46fac8bab28388.png

image.png.b69f1c82b1567747058d5d13ae5ca35d.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mopardave said:

$3000 in 1977 was alot of money.  I know my dad bought a brand new 1975 Monte Carlo for about $5000.

You are right about that! I'm sure you could buy a Cadillac for 10 grand too!

It Might have been more like $2,500 for Walnut style B. I paid $1,600 for my Raw Birch KC BR's NEW and no longer available that way. (I bought my brother's used Walnut ones and sold my Birch ones to a friend).

Either way, my fiancee co-signed for a $1,000 bank loan to buy those horns (mostly to establish credit, since, as a cash only guy at the time, I had none).

So my point is that all USA/Hope built products have MOSTLY been tracking inflation and, approximately, sell for that same price as before in terms of how many weeks someone has to work to get the money to buy them.